$661 dollar dinner for two

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That price doesn't surprise me at all.

The three best dinners I ever had were at The Graycliff in Nassau, "The Cellar In The Sky" (subpart of the "Windows On The World") on top of the former World Trade Center, "The Empress Room" (subpart of the DisneyWorld "Empress Lily Riverboat" floating restaurant).

The last two are no longer in existence. I don't want to say how much any of the meals were, but each were worth more than was paid.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Bullzey, I'll bet it's changed a bit since you lived here.
We moved here ten years ago to start our business and raise our daughter. For the first year and a half, we were virtually homeless. Food isn't the only thing that's expensive here.

We opened our business with ease but neglected to investigate housing. The only place available for rent or purchase in St Helena was a one room cottage rental in someone's vineyard - $4000 a month. Our entourage of hubby, wife, young daughter, 3 dogs, and Oreo the pet rat was not high on the owner's list of potential renters. Throughout that first year and a half, we found places to live but never had a kitchen. So by default we became experts in fine dining. There were, and remain, very few affordable options for dining. We had some great meals in that time but could probably have saved a large portion of our daughter's college tuition if we'd had a kitchen.

BTW, anyone wanting the Meadowood experience without the price tag, drop into the Grill, just a few steps below the restaurant, overlooking the croquet lawn. Breakfast or lunch on the terrace is a bargain and the view is spectacular. Not a lot of starch in the waiters shorts either. Hey, they let me in!

My wife and I sometimes stop in Napa Valleyfor dinner, and one of my old high school classmates lives there, so I have found some good affordable dining. We left in 1985 and would now not be able to afford to buy back our old home in downtown Napa.

Bill

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just dropped $280 at the Red Sox/Yanks game Saturday and only got PIzza.... Beer... beer...beer....beer..hat...beer..beer LOL you get the point!

But... seeing $661 for a dinner for two is right on the line of me. I have spend almost as much before (and more at a few points) and really feel it is a waste for the most part. (just my opinion)

Then again... My job has not given raises in over a year... I got hit with CRAZY school bills and i think my teeth are all working together to make me broke (almost 11K this year!!!!!!!)

It got to the point where my buddy said to me " see... I told you the flash light thing would pass after a few years... you don't ever talk about them like you use to" I then inform him I go here everyday but just can't really buy anything like I use to until the end of this year. I may need to call Scott to show that is not the case LOL

(steps off soap box) :O)

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've spent that much on dinner for two. I have been at a dinner for 6 where it was around $500 a head. In my life, I've probably been to this level of meal 5 or 6 times. In all but one of them, the answer is TO ME, that was completely worth it for the experience. Like a top of the line custom light, a nice car, a limited pruction cigar rolled by a well known master from hand picked leaves..."worth it" is tough to answer for everyone.

On that note...I'm going to go make a reservation at Per Se. It has been far too long since I ate at a Thomas Keller restaurant.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Bill,
$661 dollar dinners may seem extravagant but high finance living and dining has begun invading downtown napa (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-07-30-napa_N.htm). The city is trying to remake itself in the upvalley mode - hoping to attract those $200+ per meal diners. A townhouse project downtown on the river is looking for a million plus per unit. Still the real estate slide has resulted in substantial discounts on many city of napa homes and there remain some great low cost eating venues including a few of the taco trucks on soscol avenue, though those may be short lived when the Ritz-Carlton hotel opens soon. One of my favorites downtown is Small World where you can get great falafel, shawarma, other Middle Eastern specialties, plus great grill fare. Big D burgers is still alive and kickin'. And New York Pizza Kitchen still makes a great pizza at a fair price. Unfortunately, the trend is toward Upscale - budget minded diners are being squeezed. A very good but truly simple 3 course meal, without alcohol, can easily run $60 per person. $80 for two has begun to feel like a bargain. Given the direction of grocery and energy prices, $661 may soon look like a bargain deal - and you don't even have to do the dishes!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The decimal seems to be misplaced. I've spent $66.10 for two, but never $661 for two.

I do travel for work, and have a generous meal allowance, so I have spent upwards of $150 on meals with clients...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
For me, in regards to dining out the point of diminishing return starts right around the $50 mark. A $40-50 meal and a $10 glass of wine for me is very satisfying, given my unrefined tastes. After that its more about presentation and atmosphere... IMHO.

Ditto what someone else said about the hole in the wall dive places... Cash-only FTW!!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, in regards to dining out the point of diminishing return starts right around the $50 mark. A $40-50 meal and a $10 glass of wine for me is very satisfying, given my unrefined tastes. After that its more about presentation and atmosphere... IMHO.

Ditto what someone else said about the hole in the wall dive places... Cash-only FTW!!
So true.

A delicious hole in the wall is a place called "Swan Oyster Depot" in downtown San Francisco. They serve some of the freshest shell fish, but only have a counter upon which to sit in and eat. There usually is a long line for a space or two to open up so customers can eat there. And it's a cash only place!! So after you've had an appetizing meal for 2 or 3 people and get a bill for $200, it's cash only, so you've got to hit an ATM ASAP if you don't have the bills onyou.

:oops: :kiss:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
The worst (well not worst, but bang for buck up there) meal I ever had was at one of these "high end" resturants. 19 years ago, my wife and I spent over $200 for dinner, NOT counting wine (as my wife does not drink) - we got home 20 minutes after leaving, and made ourselves sandwiches - I can still tell you what my $100 meal consisted of - 1/4 of a chicken breast, 2 asparagas (sp) 4 slices of carrot, and some gravy - That's it

Now on the other hand, my "Uncle" George's cooking has been reviewed by both Newsday and The Times as "if he ran a resturant, it's be the best cooking on Long Island". (Unfortunately, his health has declined, so he does not cook THAT fancy anymore - but it's funny to see a 4 star review of his cooking in his kitchen). My Mom and Dad were a slight notch behind that. My Grandpa was a Chief, and a good one according to what I hear, and he taught Dad. Dad used to say to Mom "why should we go out for dinner, we can make BETTER here" (and they did)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I don't drink, so our dinner bills will be smaller than many for an equivalent meal. We usually eat out as a family (our kids are 4 and 5) about once a week, after church on Sundays. My wife and I only get out for a meal by ourselves every month or two at best, although this month has been unusual in that regards since I've taken the month off work and we've gotten a babysitter a few times a week and my wife and I have averaged eating out 3-4 times a week this month.

All of the restaurants we ate at though were on the casual side of things, we haven't really done anything formal requiring dressing up to eat out in years. Our average food bill for this month was probably $35-40, with a high near $60 and a low of probably $25. The best meal we had eating out this month was at a local Cuban Diner and our bill was around $40.

The best meal I've eaten in recent history was when my wife and I had my family (around 20 people total) over for July 4the weekend and we made kabobs on the grill. We spent around $120-150 on the meat, and everyone was very complimentary on how they turned out. We had chicken, sirloin steak, sea scallops and shrimp (both wrapped in bacon) and a few other things on the kabobs.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wanted to take mom out for lunch. Went to a BBQ diner. Soda, appetizers, main course, and even four large BBQ pieces to take home.

With tip = $35

One thing though.... Practically the entire menu was in Russian. :shrug:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The worst (well not worst, but bang for buck up there) meal I ever had was at one of these "high end" resturants.
This reminds me - one of the times I was at a "high end" restaurant with my dad, we both picked a vegetable dish I can't really remember right now, but I do remember it had flowers - actual small flowers, and you were supposed to eat them.
So we did - and we had our stomachs screwed up for the rest of the day. I'd have gone back and complained, but it was too far away from home, so I just decided I'd stay away from any plate that had any form of unusual vegetable inside.

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
http://www.antoines.com/

I live about a hundred miles from New Orleans and I've been to Antoines twice before. Both times it was around $400 for me and my date.

I consider dates like this to be en experience not just a meal. I'll always remember our trips to Antoines. Afterward we went riding around the French Quarter in a horse drawn carriage. Then we walked around Jackson Square before going back to our room at The Corn Stalk Fence bed and breakfast. http://www.travelguides.com/bb/cornstalk/

Man times like those can't have a price tag attached. They're priceless.

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know that people on the culinary forums are asking,

'Who would spend $600 dollars on a flashlight?!!'

As others have pointed out, its all about the priorities.

o0o

Enlightened
You know that people on the culinary forums are asking,

'Who would spend $600 dollars on a flashlight?!!'

As others have pointed out, its all about the priorities.

Great point.

Although in our defense (flashlight fans), we have a tangible item we keep.

OTOH, food goes in and then goes out, once it goes out there is nothing left but a memory.