anyone used a 2032 lithium ion battery?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was just thinking if you had a few keychain lights or other items that used 2016 batteries would it be useful to have a 2032 lithium ion instead of 2x2016? anyone every tried that?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I've just tested a few of them. I've also found a proper charger for them as well.

I've found that my Photon (with a transplanted 35K white LED) works great with a single 2032-3.7V instead of the two regular 2016s. Also, the 35K LED is not overdriven and stays at its full new condition brightness. Intensity is also impressive because of very little voltage slump under load from Li-Ion. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of posting a feeler on CPF for a group buy, because the single price per cell is $5. U.S.
But if I order a minimum of 100 pieces, the price comes way down to around $1.50 each.
-not bad at all for a cell that will recharge fully for 300-400 times. ;)

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That is what I was thinking. I rarely use coin cell lights because of throwing away batteries often and if you had a really nice one with a rechargable cell in it you could literally save a bundle over time and use it often. One would want a light that made for easy battery changes though. I saw one listed on ebay for about $1 but it was a typo from what the description read they were not rechargeable.

How many mah capacity does one of these have? 50?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
40ma isn't bad, If you used one 10 times it would save a bundle in 2016 cells and you would have guilt free batteries. If you had a super easy battery change light to swap em in/out you could find yourself carrying it and using it all the time. Cliplights with rechargable 2032s would be the bomb, you could clip em up all over the place during a power outage and recharge them off a larger battery easily.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would guess any that use 2x 2016 probably could use one but I wouldn't bet on the ones using one 2032 using one as it would overdrive more while the 2x2016 would be underdriving a little less I am guessing..

Without someone posting the actual currents differences going to LEDs on different lights I would be guessing though. It could make that red LED squeezelight rather bright.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the lithium ion 2032s in my Photons for 6 months now, so far they work fine. We use them where I work to power a small transponder, I figured I'd give it a shot. We've also done some torture tests on them with pretty good results. We haven't tried overcharing but we have discharged them to absolutely nothing(on purpose once and by accident a few times) If the over discharge isn't too deep they recover quite well, if they are totally discharged for a few days though they will charge again but capacity certainly suffers.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wonder what the fastest rate you could recharge the little batteries. If you could top them off (half charge) in less than an hour you could be 2-3 of them and forget buying 2016s any more. Perhaps someone will start carrying them but somehow I doubt it due to wanting to sell disposable batteries instead.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
sounds like about 90 mins to 2 hours charge then, fast enough for me. Anything faster than 3 hours is fine with me because I usually can wait for it to charge.

glire

Enlightened
Interesting thread!

2 Questions:
-what's the capacity of regular 2016, 2025 and 2032?
-where did you find LIR version of them (and charger)?

vcal, I'm in for a GB :)

paulr

Flashaholic
Who on earth spends any significant amount on 2016 cells? Every coin light I've ever used is still on its first set, except a 5 yo one which is on its second set because it got stuck "on" somehow and drained its first set. What kind of charger do these tiny cells need anyway, and how much does it cost? Can I charge them with a Triton (not a joke question)?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Who on earth spends any significant amount on 2016 cells? Every coin light I've ever used is still on its first set, except a 5 yo one which is on its second set because it got stuck "on" somehow and drained its first set. What kind of charger do these tiny cells need anyway, and how much does it cost? Can I charge them with a Triton (not a joke question)?
:shrug:
I know nothing about the Triton, but
I got 2 different (coin type) LI-ion chargers off of eBay for $8.00 and 12.00. The same guy also sells the rechargeable LIR-2032s in a 5-pack for $9.95.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
People actually change batteries on the little keychain lights?
Dollarama sells a Princeton Tec Pulsar clone for a dollar.**
The Source sells 2016 for $4. Umm... need 2 so 2x$4=.....

I'm not a handy person. I took one look at the 4 little screwheads on my KevinL 26K keychain light and said no way even though I had ordered a 10 battery pack with the light.
Since my primary keychain light is a UK 2AAA eLED with 20 hour runtime. I only need to replace the batteries in my coin cell backup every 5 years or so.
Make that replace the entire coin cell light.

** They have trouble keeping them in stock so it's hit and miss if I can get one.

paulr

Flashaholic
These batteries might be of some interest in making a Skylight-type solar light. I just can't see fooling around with taking a typical keychain coin light apart to recharge its batteries every so often. Do these cells have any self-discharge? That would be another crushing factor.

vortechs

Enlightened
This thread is a bit old, I found it by doing a search on "LIR2032". I was curious if there are any updates about LIR2032 cells (rechargeable 2032 size Lithium Ion coin cells).

I am thinking about getting some to power the Photon Microlight that I modded with a SMJLED. I am hoping that one of the tiny 2032 Li-Ion cells will have less voltage sag than the normal pair of 2016 primary cells. This thread seems to indicate that the Li-Ion 2032 can deliver more current than the primary 2016's.

Here is a link to an eBay seller that has a pair of LIR2032 Li-Ion coin cells and charger for $9.95 (+$2.99 S&H): http://cgi.ebay.com/LIR2032-Battery-Charger-for-LED-Name-Badge-Direct-Plug_W0QQitemZ5850267485QQihZ008QQcategoryZ294QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anybody suggest other sources for the LIR2032 cells and charger?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
@vortechs
You're correct about the minimal voltage sag when using the LIR type cells.

The same seller that I buy from is ccwhouston
also...
-Check out his new ebay auction #190013837979
I just ordered 5 cells for 9.95 +2.49 postage
-He has about 6 x 5-packs left to sell.

Another LIR seller (higher priced) is studiosmart.