River Rock Frosting

Phredd

Enlightened
Thanks to Curbry, I finally got my River Rock lantern. I was hoping to etch the glass, but it's plastic, so no luck. However, I took it apart and, using a dremel with rounded stone, ground the inside of the inner globe. Here's how it ended up compared to the original.

Here's the inner globe after being ground:
miniglobe4jw.jpg

And here's both in the dark: (right is original)
compared0ev.jpg

Finally, this is how they light the wall. Ignore the marks on the wall.
First is the with the ground globe:
frosted6zy.jpg

And the clear globe:
clear1zg.jpg

It would probably work better with a metal brush. I'd also think the light would be more uniform frosting the outside globe, but that might be too ugly.

I should probably mention to be careful to keep the same orientation when you replace the circuit board. Just twist the very top to expose the board. Then unscrew the two nuts and lift the board (and the metal plate underneath - the wires are connected).

Phredd

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
Very nice. I would buy one of them if they put a dimmer switch on. There was about 5 of these lanterns at Target yesterday. I bought another of their 2C flashlights yesterday, this time for my father. I resisted the temptation to also grab the last one on the rack.

Phredd

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
Very nice. I would buy one of them if they put a dimmer switch on. There was about 5 of these lanterns at Target yesterday.

Thanks. You should buy them all. You would definitely like it. It's only too bright if you look directly at it. And however many you don't want, you could easily unload here to other CPF'ers.

Phredd

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought one of the lanterns yet due to the ringy output but I think now that I've seen this, I'll have to pick one up.

Thanks for experimenting and for sharing.

Phredd

Enlightened
Ikonomi said:
Have you seen attowatt's mods in this thread? ... It almost seems like yours lets more light through.

I remember reading about the glare, but I hadn't yet seen this. It looks like he did a more thorough job by sanding the outside. His probably has more uniform light dispersion, maybe lessening the output a little. I may try sanding the outer globe though I hate taking the chance of ruining it.

Phredd

Phredd

Enlightened
hogx1 said:
How did you get inside the dome? Is it easy?

Yes, it is easy. Unscrew the top. Then remove the two nuts. Then lift up on the circuit board AND the metal plate underneath at the same time. Then you can lift up the assembly with the inner globe. Just remember the orientation so that when you reassemble you won't swap the electical connection.

Phredd

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
Phredd, how did you grind the "inside of the inner globe?" In your pic it is hard for me to tell - Is there more disassembly required than what is shown in your pic? or did you mean the "outside of the inner globe?"

Whichever it turns out to be, it looks great! Just want to clarify before I tear into mine.

Phredd

Enlightened
Ivanhoe said:
Phredd, how did you grind the "inside of the inner globe?"

I used a Dremel with a small grinding stone and ran it all over the inside of the inner globe. Just be very gentle since it's thin plastic. I actually think that sanding the outside of the inner globe the way attowat did might be better.

Phredd

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
I think it might be best to do the inside of the inner globe. I could be wrong, but if you do the inside if there is any imperfections they might smooth out through the two other layers of plastic the light has to go through. OR these may act as a lens and heighten the imperfections?

Maybe try inside and outside just to be extra careful :p

attowatt

Enlightened
Phredd said:
I may try sanding the outer globe though I hate taking the chance of ruining it.

Phredd

Hi Phredd,

Dont do it... just kidding:crackup:

I like the way you have done yours using a dremel. How come I didnt think of that:awman:. I think you are correct that yours puts out more light. I sat there 1 day looking at the lantern still in 1 piece, trying to figure how to attack/violate/mar/impale it :crackup: the cylindrical lens and figured I didnt want to do ALOT of sanding, so decided it would be easier to sand the little dome. I actually dissassembled it and put it back together 2 times before deciding to sand the outside of the half dome. It did take some time, about 15 minutes of sanding using small strips of sand paper to wedge in between the 2 columns. I have a dremel, and may try my other lantern using your method. I like the "marble effect" you have on yours, as others have stated it puts out more light but dont know hw much more?

Jim

Phredd

Enlightened
attowatt said:
I actually dissassembled it and put it back together 2 times before deciding to sand the outside of the half dome.

You have more patience than I have. Once I took it apart, I had to find something to do to something. I couldn't get the sandpaper in so I got the best dremel bit that would fit. If that didn't fit, I would have looked for acetone or other corrosive chemicals.

Phredd

PS - My daughter was getting mad, because every time I came upon one of your messages I couldn't help but crack up at your penguins. I kept trying to scroll up so I wouldn't have to look at it. Did you take that? It's hilarious.

Phredd

Enlightened
I finally got around to frosting the outer globe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything to etch the plastic. Actually, after just seeing my friends sunglasses start to disolve from 100% deet spray, I was tempted to try that on the lantern -- seriously -- it's very corrosive. I ended up sanding the inside of the outer globe, first with rough sandpaper, then with find sandpaper. It's a bit ugly, but at least the outside is still smooth.

globe4rj.jpg

Here's the three lanterns side by side:
sidebyside0md.jpg

And each one with the pattern on the wall.
Original:
original1yv.jpg

Frosted inner globe:
inner4xg.jpg

Frosted outer globe:
outer7wa.jpg

Enjoy!
Phredd

Oops, I forgot to fix the exposure, so you should pay more attention to the pattern than to comparing brightness between photos.

Last edited:

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
I hit the inner globe (inside) w/ some 0000 steel wool (I made a ball out of it, clamped it in a small hemostat, and then just spun it around the inside of the globe - it's very lightly frosted now) - not as nice as the other's have done, but I suppose I could be more aggressive w/ it - it did cut down some of the glare and smooth the rings a bit.

Sam