A portal opens in the sky...

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was Pandorum any good? I thought about picking it up on Blue-ray.

In that vein, you might like Event Horizon and Sunshine.

+

If there were a few tweeks to the movie it could've been an epic sci-fi,
but it was a bit scattered and kinda dropped it on a few levels.

borrow or rent it for sure though

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
1. Clothing, that includes a layering system for what ever wheather I find on the other side, drop what I don't need on arival
2. Rat 7 knife, and a saw or hatchet & Leatherman Supertool, or Rebar.
3. Shelter of some kind, heavy poncho or small trail tarp & reusable space blanket
4. Fire kit in waterproof container (Numyth Talos, Fero, Jute, Charcloth, and some Trioxane Tablets)
5. Firearm, What one would be tough with no idea what you were heading into, 12ga 870 might be a safe choice with mix of shells, or a .22 and carry more ammo? toss up.
6. Stainless steel water bottle and cup, Possibly a small MSR Seagull with that. (for boiling water if theres no water there I'm dead anyway)
7. Headlamp Fenix HL30 and several lithium batteries
8. mix of cordage
9. A couple of conibear traps, 110 and a 160? mabye a small fishing kit. (hopeing its similar to earth if not theres no way to know how prepair a kit)
10 Large dry bag, to keep gear dry and usefull as a flotation device.) (if you were smart you might start off with that full of air and tied to your pack incase you were droped in water.)
11. bandana, or similar item to filter the air a bit from dust or smoke.
12. Photo of wife and daughter, to keep me pushing forward.
13. Pack to put it all in, Large ALICE and stuff any remaining space with some food and other gear, shed weight as needed once I arrived.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hehe ... that's going a little far, compounding multiple items within items together, it is cheating. In that sense you can embed tritium fobs to the sword hilt for light, wrap fishing line around the sword handle, layer bandaids around the sheath as well. Have to keep things more barebones.

You also do not know if there's fish to "fish".

That's part of the challenge.

You're already cheating.
Carrying 1. water, in a 2. container.
and a 3. sword, in a 4. tarp.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're already cheating.
Carrying 1. water, in a 2. container.
and a 3. sword, in a 4. tarp.

yes, but never coupling extrinsic item(s) together. (extrinsic defined as - not belonging to the essential nature or constitution of a thing). Every coupling has been intrinsic (defined as - belonging to the essential nature or constitution of a thing) and done only once.

tarp (as a sheath):sword = intrinsic coupling
water:stainless water bottle = intrinsic coupling

tarp (as a sheath):sword:wire:tape = extrinsic coupling(s) and more than one instance.

Things like the mesh reinforced clear vinyl tarp can be considered two items if you count the embedded mesh which can be processed to make serviceable string. Or the belt buckle which can be considered a metal ingot. But since the mesh is intrinsic it's all one item. Since the buckle is intrinsic to the belt it's also one item. And since the belt is intrinsic to your clothing, it fits the qualitative description for clothes. So it doesn't count as a separate item.

What we can do, however, is use this logic to our benefit by eliminating the tarp item #4 altogether, freeing up a slot. How?

A large Sea to Summit tarp poncho. (clothes) :D

So for #4, I'll take a wank light.

We can apply some more ingenuity by replacing the chrome plated square belt buckle with one made of flint. Freeing up slot #1 :D

So for #1, I'll take a copy of the s.a.s. survival handbook.

BTW: A watch (with a compass) is not considered clothing. It would be an item.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Appending above:

So my updated item list that fits the campaign description:

I'd wear a cobra weave paracord belt with a flint rod toggle clasp (constitutes clothing, can be re-purposed for cordage and fire) and a large Sea to Summit tarp poncho. Inside my (9X16) 10-Liter scrim-reinforced waterproof vinyl sack goes:

1. s.a.s. survival handbook
2. vita-water (contained in a wide mouth 38oz stainless naglene bottle)
3. gerber multitool with a knife
4. wank light

Carried on my back:

5. two handed sword
6. polyester mesh reinforced clear vinyl tarp as the sword sheath

Poppy

Flashaholic
Intrinsic/extrinsic.

We don't even know if there is atmosphere to protect us from cosmic rays, or Oxygen to breathe, or burn (flicking a sparky won't give light without O2). Maybe we need a space suit with a rebreather so that we have a couple of hours to complete our mission or die.

I'm carrying whiteoakjoe. All his stuff is intrinsic to the man.
I'm carrying dc38's Bible
Alpg88's AK with ammo
and I'm inviting the Virginian's assistant :grouphug: I always like to travel with friends. :)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intrinsic/extrinsic.

We don't even know if there is atmosphere to protect us from cosmic rays, or Oxygen to breathe, or burn (flicking a sparky won't give light without O2). Maybe we need a space suit with a rebreather so that we have a couple of hours to complete our mission or die.

I'm carrying whiteoakjoe. All his stuff is intrinsic to the man.
I'm carrying dc38's Bible
Alpg88's AK with ammo
and I'm inviting the Virginian's assistant :grouphug: I always like to travel with friends. :)

I'd rather carry a pro football cheerleader. :D

Latest posts