Acebeam x80, fog behind lens (not condensation)...

aryntha

Newly Enlightened
So, long time member, long time lurker -- but, was wondering if anyone here had any experience in this..

On Friday I got a new Acebeam x80; but i'm noticing there's some degree of weird fogging behind the glass. Contacting the dealer and Acebeam they immediately said it was 'condensation' and to let the light cool down; but it's certainly not condensation as it hasn't changed one bit from the minute I opened the light until today, which is about 4 days.

It looks like the kind of 'film' or 'deposit' fogginess you get when certain things are in a room with an ultrasonic humidifier, a sort of foggy haze over the surface due to mineral deposits or something.

I've tried some suggestions such as running it on Turbo to 'burn it off' (changes nothing) -- but it's just kind of annoying since Acebeam talks about their glass having 98.5% light transmission and mine obviously -- is not that.

Really I think all the thing needs is some kind of cleaning on the backside with microfiber or something. But I'm pretty sure I can't get the front bezel off; it seems to be glued or otherwise fastened on there pretty tightly.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Has anyone here been able to get the front off of an x80 without damaging it? (Since it's still in the return period I may have to push for that route; for now the dealer seems to still be convinced its 'condensation', but it isn't...) - so just wondering, if they refuse to take it back for an exchange, if there's any way at all I can get in there just to clean off the back side of the glass...

ven

Flashaholic
I would go as far as saying it is pretty normal. Most larger lights can fog, it's basically condensation caused by various temps. From where it was made and not being a sealed head. Use it and it will eventually clear up.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're absolutely sure it's not condensation (which is pretty common at this time of year), then try soaking the glued area in hot (maybe close to boiling) water for a few minutes. That might loosen up the glue, so you can unscrew the bezel.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
If this is condensation, sealing the light in a large container filled with rice will allow the moisture to be drawn out.