Advice please Best all purpose flashlight car home

wto

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie, so apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered. I want quality flashlights for home and car. What do you recommend? Shelf life, reliability, quality are of course important. (I guess another way of asking this is should I stick with my Cosco maglights or should I upgrade? Thanks.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sort of depends on what you want the light for. If you want a light to stick in your car for emergencies, that will not be used very much at all, you could get a Surefire G2 with an extra set of batteries. Or for less money, maybe something that uses AA's and get some lithium batteries. A Princeton Tec 40, maybe. That actually isn't a bad light for general useage anyway, with some NiMh batteries, and the newer Maglite Magnum star bulbs. No rechargeable battery is good for just leaving in a light for long periods though, and neither are alkalines. Alkalines leak too often, and rechargeables have too high a self discharge rate.

Steve C

Enlightened
Good advice from Unicorn.

Basically, if you will use the light daily (or nearly so), a rechargeable light makes sense. But not for your vehicle.

If you just want something that will be there when you need it, a G2 with extra batteries cannot be beat. The light itself is an inexpensive, yet quality, instrument, and the long "shelf life" of the 123 lithium batteries means you can throw the light in the glove box and forget about it; until you need it.

Something like the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon Task Light is ideal for around the house. The controlled environment indoors helps preserve alkalines, and you can employ rechargeable NiMHs if the light gets used a lot. This light is small and handy enough to stick in your back pocket while doing hosehold repair chores, etc.; powerful enough to use outside if needed; and durable enough to survive being dropped, banged around, etc.

Be very careful; you're on dangerous ground here. Once you "get into" flashlights, you're lost. I've been using them professionally for a very long time, and always looked at them as just another tool. Since finding this forum a few years back, I've spent untold amounts of money on "Oooohh, that looks cool; let's try one!" stuff.

Its more than an addiction; its a sickness. And a very insiduous one; you're hooked before you know it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Advice please Best all purpose flashlight car

What they said!

For leave it in a car and plan on it to WORK whan needed, Lithium Cells are a MUST! I don't exaxctly forget about and neglect my truck lights, but I'll still find alkaline cells dead now and again.

A G2 can be had for about 30 bucks. It comes with 2 CR123 cells. It has roughly 15 buck bulb module replacement.

Brinkmann makes two 2L lights worthy of car use. The LX which is an aluminum light with a rather big head, and the Maxxfire which is a plastic light similar to the G2 in shape and feel.

They can be had for about 20 bucks with batteries. I leave a Maxxfire in the door pocket of my truck.

Lithium 2AA lights are a bit tougher. My second XM3 came to me from an individual with Lithiums installed. But I don't know if it's 100% safe to do so...

The afor mentioned PT40 is a nice 4AA light... output is near 2L class.

It's really hopeless. You have started down a slope with no help in site, only encouragement to "buy them both"...

May God have Mercy on your Soul!!!!

captjlw

Newly Enlightened

Is cost a big issue? If not the SF A2 aviator is a great light. Low beam LED that will burn a very long time and is useful for looking for stuff in the car, and a xenon high beam almost as bright as the G2. If that's too expensive. . . Streamlight makes a similar light, twin task 2L that does the same thing, though IMHO not as well, but for less money. Good luck.

fleegs

Enlightened

For car- Inova X5, good flood, very durable, LEDs will not burn out and runs forever on the 123 lithiums. (I think Peak LED Solutions (I think that is there name) has similar lights to this one.

For home- Surefire G2, good throw, can keep extra bulb on hand, its a fun light (I think it is work the extra 10-15 dollars over the Princeton Tech 40). I would also keep an LED back up light. Either another Inova X5 or any of the princeton tech LED lights.

If money is no concern- Go with an Aleph3 for home and an Aleph1 for the car. (check McGizmo section of forum) You can build these how you want. Choose the LE (light engine), battery config, and tailcap of choice.

Good luck and welcome
fleegs

GR

Newly Enlightened

I carry an A2 with red LEDs.
The red is great for inside the truck at night and the incandescent takes care of anything else.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find the Costco 1W LED light to be a great kitchen drawer and glove compartment light. Those are the one which come in a two-pack for $28. They run on easy to find AA's, so use lithium AA's for the one in the car and just use alkalines for the home.

These lights are very bright for the money, affordable and better than the flashlights 95% of the people keep around for general purpose use. Nice hotspot, good throw and reasonable sidespill. It's no Surefire, but then look at the price. I gave away a half dozen of them to non-flashaholics and they were all very impressed. Just do a search in the LED forum on "Costoc" you'll find a lot of info.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Basically what everyone else said:

G2 with P-60 bulb (1 hr. runtime), spares carrier with spare P-60 and batteries, F-24 beamshaper filter (to soften, protect, and flood), option of a Z-48/Z-49 lockout, clickon tailcap, Surefire V-26 holster to store and carry.
Easy.

rikvee

Enlightened
- the Nightcutter NC003C, a nicely made 3-led map-reading light, $23 from lightshipenterprises.net
- the ASP Triad, a very powerful and good-looking incandescent light, excellent for reading house numbers (throws better than the G2 or the SL Scorpion), 55 bucks from flashlightsunlimited.com
- both lights use a pair of CR123's, 10 year shelflife.
- the 80 hrs (!) runtime of the Nightcutter helps in case the kids play with it too much.
- for at home the Streamlight Propolymer 3C 10-LED is big and yellow and easy to find, has a nice flood and a 336 hrs (!?) runtime...

wto

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to all, very helpful. First step will be to buy some G2s.

wto

junior

Enlightened

Very good advice to get a SFG2. That was my first real pocket incan......

Niteowl

Enlightened

Welcome wto,

Lots of threads on this topic. As always, I recommend the UK4AA eLED . If you're where it gets really cold, throw some lithiums in for car use. Makes a great camping/hiking light also. A incan head is also available if you need extra omph.....

Mark

greenLED

Flashaholic

I have a Inova 24/7 (thank you, ksbman!) and a couple of spare batts in my car.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

For car and home (not EDC) I love my Elektrolumen's Tri-Star Phazer. Throw in some alkies and forget about it (summertime in Vegas may force me to not use it as a car flashlight). Hours and hours of runtime, lots of light, and if you need to club someone with it, it will do just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Don't get me wrong. I love my other flashlights but they are more for fun and desert trekking than general purpose.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

get at least 2 flashlights for the car, in case one has problems you have a backup. Consider one of the lighter plug powered flourescent trouble lights in case you have to work under the hood or under the car for a long period, holding a flashight which working is a pain. A cheap LED headlamp may also be useful in some cases. If you frequent places out in the country a cheap plugin spotlight may also be useful for spotting things at a distance. Consider even a semi cheap flashlight as a giveaway in case a friend or family member needs help and doesn't have a light that way you don't have to loan your good stuff to them and perhaps never see it again. make sure and have one flashlight that is tough and at least water resistant because you almost always end up dropping them on pavement into a puddle.

Basically it is probably better to not get one flashlight to do it all for a car when several will do better and lets you have a backup in case of problems.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

As for car, I would suggest something less bright, as what Mark just said, UK 4AA eled--since I imagine the most likely situation used would be either changing blown tires or reading in car, which both are closed up work.

And in case you ever run out of it, you will probably find AA quite easily on any gas station/7-eleven. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For home use, G2 will fit the task of general flashlight alright.

If you want to have a 'backup', then I'd say something that has really long runtime and good bulb life(maybe led lights?) would be good. For ex, lightwave lights or Inova X5... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimM

Newly Enlightened

I have a PT Aurora in the car along with a Surefire 9P and extra bulb/batteries. The Aurora lets me change a tire or check under the hood with both hands free, and can be set to flash in an emergency. The Surefire on the other hand provides alot of light in a hurry.
Jim

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened

There were a lot of good suggestions here..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I run a Brinkman Maxfire cheap, bright, and long storage Lithium batteries....I wouldn't feel too bad if I lent it out and it never came back.

As a second light I have an UK Q-40 which is rated for underwater use, yes underwater......if you live or travel around rivers, lakes, or any other large bodies of water you can never tell when (heaven forbid) you or your car may end up in the drink. Just last month my son told me he was going "MIDNIGHT SURFING" and while there was a full moon to shed a little light on the ocean, I told him to take my Q-40 and test it out while he was in the water....He told me it worked great and had fun playing with it while waiting for the "waves" to come in.

So while getting more than 1 light is good...getting a second waterproof light is even better.

Aloha