Amateur astronomy?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I remember growing up my dad got into astronomy a little and spent hours at night on the front lawn looking at the stars. He even got some special paint to dip light bulbs in and made a dim red light so he could see to write and read things but not destroy his night vision. He taught me how to tell time using the big dipper I could tell you what time it was without a clock within 15 minutes but I've pretty much forgotten how to do it now. With useful dimmable LED technology I often wonder now if my dad was still alive would he be out there with an LED light taking notes under the stars.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My brother used to have this cardboard disc covered with the stars that could glow in the dark. It had a cover disc that covered 270° of the circle so you would only expose your particular hemisphere. You rotated the cover based on the time of year iirc.
If you pulled it out of a lit enviornment or shined a flashlight on it the stars glowed 10-15 minutes.

That thing sure was a good tool. He had some 'hobby' grade scopes and gear. Back then there was a lot less light pollution where we live back then.

Nowadays unless you do a trek for an hour in a car, the only stars you can see are the brightest of the bright.

For that reason we generally don't bother anymore.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
One holiday gift to me this year is going to be a magazine subscription on astronomy, so am thinking "Sky @ Telescope" after a brief review of (what else), the usual forum message boards about 'which astronomy magazine is best for beginners', lol.

And of course, today being the shortest day of the year; and a whole day of gloomy Oregon fog with zero sunshine. :-/