Another luxeon 10 watts ????!!!!

logan

Newly Enlightened
FirstDsent said:
I loooove big reflectors. I am interested in it as a mod host! I really want to know the build quality.

Bernie

It seem to be a G&P style, certainly same quality.

But 10 watt ??!!
:drunk:

I have already one 8 Watts, and I don't even know it's real power.
A bigger flashlight for the same power, it's useless.
In the second link, we can see the "luxeon" bulb, the same kind, like 9watts/8watt/7watt.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Looks like the same body Ultrafires use. This looks really interesting but I don't know if I want to wait two weeks to get this thing. And then if it doesn't work it will take another two weeks for him to get the defective light back from me and then another two weeks (plus however much time it takes him to actually send it) for me to get the replacement. And I will have to pay to send the thing back to Hong Kong.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
logan said:
It seem to be a G&P style, certainly same quality.

But 10 watt ??!!
:drunk:

I have already one 8 Watts, and I don't even know it's real power.
A bigger flashlight for the same power, it's useless.
In the second link, we can see the "luxeon" bulb, the same kind, like 9watts/8watt/7watt.

Just a little tip, there are no 7,8,9,10 or even 6 watt Luxeons.

Dave

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you used two 5 watt leds, would that make it a 10 watt light? Seems this maybe a good marketing thing for the other company that makes led lights with multiple leds in them.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Originally Posted by 45/70:
Just a little tip, there are no 7,8,9,10 or even 6 watt Luxeons.

Dave
Does that mean that it isn't a good flashlight? There's no 7Watt LED either, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better performing LED light for under $70 than the "7W Golston". I've learned to separate the name from the performance. There are lots of good lights with stupid names -like Fenix. That's why those of us who also know what's real and what's hype still have open minds.

Also, there are no 1, 3, or 5 watt Luxeons either. The Luxeon I, III, and V emitters can be driven at a wide range of voltage and current. A Luxeon V can be driven at 1 watt. A Luxeon III can be driven at 6 watts. That doesn't make it a Luxeon VI.

Bernie

P.S. I grew up between Dayton and Cincinnati. I miss Ohio

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
Does that mean that it isn't a good flashlight? There's no 7Watt LED either, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better performing LED light for under $70 than the "7W Golston". I've learned to separate the name from the performance. There are lots of good lights with stupid names -like Fenix. That's why those of us who also know what's real and what's hype still have open minds.

Bernie
No, it doesn't mean that. I was just pointing out that there are no 6,7,8,9 or 10 watt Luxeons. Actually some of the higher Vf Lux V's are close to 6 watts but, as I remember not qiute.

In a nutshell, "buyer beware". In my experience, you get what you pay for but, that doesn't mean you can't get a decent, inexpensive light. :)

Dave

EDIT:
You are correct FirstDsent. Generaly though a Lux I is about 1.2 watts, a Lux 3 About 3 watts and a Lux 5 about 5 watts, hence, their names.

If your really into "magic smoke" then, of course the sky is the limit. :naughty: The more reason, I thought, to point out that there are no, let's say "standard" 6,7,8,9 or 10 watts.

I grew up in northern Cincy and am now south east a good ways from Dayton. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Good point Dave.
I'm always on the lookout for the next "Golston" type light -a sleeper. I also get turned on by big reflectors. I'm hopeful that this one will at least make a good mod host. Of course it could be crap too. All I really want is smooth threads, good O-ring sealing, a good reflector, and a head assembly that I can take apart. I can make it a scorcher! If the tailcap threads are universal, as is becoming more common these days, then there are multiple tailcap options too.

Bernie

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, maybe they are just driving the LUXEON at 7W... making it a 7W LUXEON.

-David

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
well, maybe they are just driving the LUXEON at 7W... making it a 7W LUXEON.

-David
Well, yes, I'd say that's a possibility. In that case it's an overdriven Luxeon V or whatever (hopefully not a Luxeon I!). If that were the case, I would call it a 5 watt Luxeon overdriven at 7 watts, not, a 7 watt Luxeon. I doubt if their marketing team would agree with me though. :) Also, keep in mind that the degradation of a Lux V driven at spec is 800-1000hrs to 40% brightness. At 7 watts, it's much faster.

My intention with my original post was not to deter anyone from buying one of these, just to point out that there are no 6,7,8,9 or 10 watt Luxeons (yet!) without, as you suggested, overdriving them. One other possibilty brings us back to marketing teams. :)

Dave

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
Blackheart said:
I think I remember finding replacement Luxeon's advertised for the Golston 7W flashlights. Im sure they overdrive the Led's in these flashlights but if a replacement bulb can be purchased then what the heck. 200 lumens is 200 lumens. :grin2:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=FAKERS

you can buy an entire golston light for about that price.

and a 200 lumen claim is only a claim, not fact.

Last edited:

Blackheart

Newly Enlightened
Randy Shackleford said:
you can buy an entire golston light for about that price.

and a 200 lumen claim is only a claim, not fact.

What is the actual lumens then since I have not found any reviews that give the real facts? :)