Any TW4 fans anymore?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will either of those be driven off a single CR123a or RCR123? I sent mine to Milky, and he updated the emitter with a Luxeon K2T which gave me over 200 lumen of output, and it ran fine off an rcr123.

TW4 was a nice light but is using yesterday's technology IMO.

This is my personal view and I understand the views of those that don't see the need to upgrade and are quite happy with the luxeon emitters.

The way I see it however is that Lux Vs are much less efficient than today's emitters and I want to take advantage of that.

I have sent my KL4 to be modded with one of the new generation quad-dies ie. either Cree-MCE or SSC-P7.

This will give either 4 times the run-time for the same output or 4 times the output for the same drive level as a lux V.

Energie

Enlightened
KL4 with MC-E (some additional pics)
Approx. 370 emitter lumen.
2 stage tailcap
The same runtime as the stock KL4

TW4.jpg

easilyled

Flashaholic
Will either of those be driven off a single CR123a or RCR123? I sent mine to Milky, and he updated the emitter with a Luxeon K2T which gave me over 200 lumen of output, and it ran fine off an rcr123.

I think Energie's post and mod explains this perfectly. (Follow his link) Excellent work Energie. :)
I am sure it can be driven off a RCR123* or 17670.
I doubt that a single CR123a would reach full power though, just like it wouldn't for a TW4 based on the original luxV.

In fact if my understanding is correct, just swapping the luxV for a MCE 2S2P with good heat-sinking is all that is required to keep
the spirit of the original KL4 head the same but with a drastically improved emitter.

* I think if you want to use a single CR123-sized rechargeable it would probably be safer to use AW's high-draw IMR cells.

DZ, I have sent you a pm!

Last edited:

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
For those of us that don't have modded KL4 heads and using non rechargable batteries or a 2 stage tailcap were looking at about a 90 min runtime total or am I reading that time way off??

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
For those of us that don't have modded KL4 heads and using non rechargable batteries or a 2 stage tailcap were looking at about a 90 min runtime total or am I reading that time way off??

I never did a runtime test using one CR123, but I did not that the output had a steady drop off after being turn on. I used bounce with a lightmeter. This will always depend on the vf of the Lux V LED. A very low vf LED may run in regulation a while before it drops into direct drive. Using a two stage switch with a resistor, you will see a slower drop off over time, you will have to use at least a 22ohm resistor to have worthwhile light running at 3 volts imput.

Bill

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
That's just it. With the 22 ohm resistor tailcap I have the light looks like my 3 lumin HDS setting. With no resistor I get a very useful 15 to 20 lumin (I am guessing) light.

Don't know how long it would run with no resistor though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
That's just it. With the 22 ohm resistor tailcap I have the light looks like my 3 lumin HDS setting. With no resistor I get a very useful 15 to 20 lumin (I am guessing) light.

Don't know how long it would run with no resistor though.

The TW4 is a good candidate for an RCR123 and you will get more useful light using 22ohm setup. KL4 will run in regulation not using resistor.

Bill

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
Bill - I think I am getting it!! The Rechargables pushes up the power so the 22 ohm resistor has more usable light......am I close in my thinking now?

Thanks for your time :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, the 22ohm resistor works off a higher voltage battery equals more light. Brighter yet, of course, with two CR123's (not two RCR123's-too much voltage).

Bill

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool stuff... so is the best "current" incarnation of a TW4 a KL4 head with an upgraded emitter? Is the emitter upgrade something that is fairly readily done by custom moddes? (Sure wish I knew more about and skills at doing more mods than dropping in a Malkoff lamp assembly.)

Can a new two stage SF E1L Outdoorsman be upgraded to be a TW4 with KL4 head & new emitter.... and still be two stage?

Last edited:

TDK-R

Newly Enlightened
My TW4-BK arrived today :rolleyes:!

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

I love the beam of the KL4.....!

Because of the old technology I also ordered a MC-E :party:.
And for a longer runtime 2-stage switch.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't resist the allure of the TW4... just received my black E1e and the black KL4 head should arrive Wednesday... not sure how long it will remain stock, though, the Milky Gossamer or High CRI Seoul upgrades are really appealing! :thinking:

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
got MY KL4 and E1 body running my 22ohm 2 stage tailcap and rechargables for a brighter LOW and brighter HIGH.