Any Twilight Zone (1960's) Fans here?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a kid I some what enjoyed the 80's Movie, Recently I watched all eps of the 2002 series & found them "ok" I didn't really take to the 80's series at all.

But I started watching the original Rod Sterling Late 50's to Mid 60's Episodes.
And BANGGG, I feel in love with them. LOL what are the chances a young guy in todays high end world being remotely interested in the old stuff.

Anyway I freakin love that old show, Its awesome. Ive watched so many eps over & over, they have genuine written all over them.

My fav episode is "And when the sky was opened" (1959)

Rod Sterling Twilight Zone :rock:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The classic episodes are good, some of them were excellent.

The movie version was mainly a remake of three older episodes. The only original story in the film will always be infamous for the freak accident that caused a helicopter to crash down on and kill actor Vic Morrow and two children.

DaveG

Enlightened
Great show then and now,Sci-fi Ch does a all day run of them on New Years day, if memory serves me.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a great series. Very intellectually stimulating program, I don't understand why they don't show it more often on broadcast tv.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
As a kid, the intro always sent chills down my spine. Had to pull a blanket over my head, peaking out from under, if I was watching alone. The background music really added to the effect, but it was the contrast of Serling's calm voice against the chaotic theme music that made me pull that blanket down tight. Of all the intro's, the last one here was my favorite.

"You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!"

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone."

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Twilight Zone".

Last Stop Willoughby still sits in my memory, and there are times these days I'd love to get off that train and land in Willoughby.

The Invaders was really creepy with that poor old woman being tormented by aliens in the attic.

I can't remember the title, but a suburban neighborhood suffers a blackout and the neighbors turn against eachother, accusing one, then another, of being "different".

Serling was a great writer who spoke to the human condition and psyche. Not many great writers working in TV or Film these days. Dexter is of lesser quality IMO but it's one of the few current TV serials to captured my viewing attention. Guess that's what a childhood filled with Serling can do to a fella.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, i love rod sterlings narrative lines, amazing.

that episode your thinking of is, "the monsters are due on maple street"

its actually my second fav episode. :)

And its really the only remade episode of the 2002 series i like.

except instead of the theme being aliens invading, its terrorism.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
The other episode I vividly remember, no title again, is the horribly disfigured woman who has had last ditch attempted plastic surgery. The bulk of the episode is viewed from her perspective, from behind the gauze bandages covering her face. Doctor 90210 would have a field day in that hospital.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Flash,
You have been busy. When you've had enough of Twilight Zone, check out the endless online supply of Perry Mason episodes. The first 3 or 4 seasons were well thought out, well written, and well acted. Then Raymond Burr's appetite got in the way. But those early episodes hold up well today. Even though Burger gets his *** handed to him at the end of every episode, getting there is always intriguing.

Thermionic

Newly Enlightened
Yup I was a fan, though I was of course young then. It was made at a time when much TV seemed be worth watching, but now like many other things, it's all just rubbish.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I love that show. When they have the marathon on New Years and July 4th I usually watch it for the better part of the day. Two of my favorite episodes are "To Serve Man" and "Eye of the Beholder".

shakeylegs

Enlightened
The opening lines of a TV show can tell you alot about whether it's worth watching.

Then and now:

"To Serve Man"
Respectfully submitted for your perusal: a Kanamit. Height: a little over nine feet. Weight: in the neighborhood of three hundred and fifty pounds. Origin: unknown. Motives? Therein hangs the tale, for in just a moment we're going to ask you to shake hands, figuratively, with a Christopher Columbus from another galaxy and another time. This is the Twilight Zone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WudBfRa0ETw

"CSI"
http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=8733

swampgator

Enlightened
Watched it a lot as a kid, but never considered myself a big fan, but the one episode I still remember is "The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms." It's the one where a tank crew goes back and fights with Custer.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching this show as well as others such as Star Trek when I was a kid really helped spark my imagination and started an interest in SciFi that continues today. It's too bad some of the underlying themes in these kinds of shows are lost on some people.