Anyone else color blind and loving the bright cool tint LED's?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I'm have a red/green deficiency also. My state had a color blind test to renew a drivers license. I struggled thru those, thankfully they did away with that part of the test.

Here's a test for those who have never took it.

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp

edit; Forgot to answer the question. I do like the cool tints and the brightness better. A lot of difference between Q3 and R5. Q3-4-5,R2-3-4-5.

I clicked on that link, and I can see the 25 in the upper left plain as day, the rest of the dots look like pangea. What if the red-green dot doesn't show up as a 5 or a 2?

+1
When I tell people I'm colourblind, they always start asking 'what colour is this, what colour is that'. I tell them what colour I see and then they say 'oh, you're not colourblind'.

For me it's difficult to tell what colour a star at night has. It's too small for my eyes to distinguish. I need more pixels to tell what colour I see.

In another thread I have posted about colourblind people being able to adapt quicker to darkness than people who are not colourblind. It all comes down to the cones and rods.

If you're interested I will look up that thread.

iapyx.

Yup, this becomes annoying real fast. It is very hard to describe what it means to be color deficient because I can see colors just fine... most of the time. I am fine seeing reds and greens (as long as they are solid colors and not something funky like dark brown red), but if you give me light green next to yellow or dark red next to brown or dark blue next to black, it's almost as if my eyes can't make up their mind as to what color is what. When it comes to lights, something that somebody calls a blue tint is bright white to me. A bright white (blue to most people) is the best light for color contrast to me (as far as seeing stuff in the dark).

Last edited:

darknessemitter

Enlightened
In another thread I have posted about colourblind people being able to adapt quicker to darkness than people who are not colourblind. It all comes down to the cones and rods.

That's interesting... Is that because some of the "missing" cone cells tend to be replaced by rod cells?

iapyx

Enlightened
I'm have a red/green deficiency also. My state had a color blind test to renew a drivers license. I struggled thru those, thankfully they did away with that part of the test.

edit; Forgot to answer the question. I do like the cool tints and the brightness better. A lot of difference between Q3 and R5. Q3-4-5,R2-3-4-5.

The first time I did this kind of test I was about 11 years old. There I was told I am (red/green) colourblind. Later when I needed to be tested for military service they only said that 'you have a little difficulty with colours'.

EDIT ---> FYI: I passed and fullfilled my military duty. From military point of view I am not colourblind :)

Done above mentioned test and yes, I see what a red/green colourblind person sees, which is only the top left (25) and middle right (56).

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember taking those back in school and seeing them in books. I'm not color blind, but the tests on that page are still difficult. Maybe I am slightly.
Nope, they both look the same pee yellow to me. I actually have a hard time using a standard P60 Surefire bulb because it is too yellow for me and things of similar color tend to blend together (rocks and plants on a hiking trail).
That's pretty interesting. The blue tint is actually helping you. Have you tried a blue filter or an actual blue emitter?

JimF

Newly Enlightened
WOW, I've been reading all of these post complaining about the color tints of different lights and how offensive they find the color of light certain lights produce. I could understand how the hotspots or the shadows in a beamshot could bother someone but I could not understand how a very slight Green or Blue or White or Yellow tint could bother some of you SO much untill I just realized while reading this thread that my color blindness is likely why I am not affected by these subtle shades of color in a light. If I see multiple flashlights shining against the same white wall at the same time, I can tell that they are slightly different colors but alone none of them seem offensive to me. I now realize it is likely because I am colorblind. I guess it may be a blessing. Any of you that have a highend flashlight that has an offensive color tint to its beam, just package them up and mail them to me! Those slightly green or blue or yellow or whatever tints don't bother me at all. I will gladly send you back the postage for your shipment.
JIM

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have a request of all you color blind people ........

Please stop painting your houses BLUE and PURPLE

It just KILLS my property values .

JimF

Newly Enlightened
Just shine one of those blue tinted lights on it and it will dissappear!!!

Jim

keith p

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm partially color blind too! :wave:

I primarily use my torches for dog walking duty/dooty (as I live in an urban enviornment). It seems that cool LEDs make the brown dooty blend with green grass. Warm LEDs make the brown "pop".

I've read people saying the opposite. I assume the difference in my perception is due to the color blindness.

Currently my warmest LED is an MC-E 7C. It quickly replaced a Q3 5A as my EDC!

iapyx

Enlightened
They're right. That means you're color-deficient.

I'm color deficient, and can attest to that. I'm mostly dark-adapted within 5-10 minutes, fully within 20, while the general population takes 20-45 minutes to adapt.

Color blind/deficient people used to be used by military to spot camouflaged German camps, because we can spot camouflage easier/quicker than people without it. I do this all the time. I live in the desert, and quickly spot gecko's, salamanders, snakes, etc, and people I point them out to, still have a hard time seeing it until it moves.

~Brian

Yeah, colour deficient, I guess that's a better way to call it. I see colours all right.
Only when the colour is displayed in low pixels, like e.g. in Autocad (drawing program) it's hard for me to see the difference between thin green lines and thin yellow lines.

Nice to read about colour blind/deficient people being used by the military to spot camoufage German camps. Didn't know about that. But I did know that 'we' can sometimes see differences between colours that non-colour blind/deficient people don't see.

Back on topic:
I do not like the blue-ish tint of LEDs.
Even the 'warm white' is too cool for me.
Prefer the incan tint.
Therefore I have, next to my three SF-LED's also 3 to 4 bright incans.

Incan

Newly Enlightened
I am color blind. When I got my first warm white tinted light I started to sell my cool white lights. Cool white is OK for indoor use. Outside I prefer warmer tints.
I think the warmer tints gives much better contrast and everything looks gray when using a cool white flashlight.

I agree with you on the runtime charts

:duh2:
2AA-HiAlka.gif
Im colorblind, and I agree the runtime charts are nearly useless. As for warm/cool/neutral, im still forming my opinions. Cool tints outdoors look washed-out to my colorblind eyes. warm looks like a dying battery. I dont own a neutral or high CRI, but i can tell a difference between warm and incan. warm is nice, but doesnt have depth like an incan does. disregard my nickname, i like LED's better.
i wonder if paying for high CRI is worth it for a person with red-green colorblindness? any opinions from colorblind people?
edited once for punctuation. my apologies

Incan

Newly Enlightened
I clicked on that link, and I can see the 25 in the upper left plain as day, the rest of the dots look like pangea. What if the red-green dot doesn't show up as a 5 or a 2?

Yup, this becomes annoying real fast. It is very hard to describe what it means to be color deficient because I can see colors just fine... most of the time. I am fine seeing reds and greens (as long as they are solid colors and not something funky like dark brown red), but if you give me light green next to yellow or dark red next to brown or dark blue next to black, it's almost as if my eyes can't make up their mind as to what color is what. When it comes to lights, something that somebody calls a blue tint is bright white to me. A bright white (blue to most people) is the best light for color contrast to me (as far as seeing stuff in the dark).

Preach on. Glad to know someone else shares my vision

carrot

Flashaholic
I am not color blind but I am not at all bothered by all the "bad tints" that people complain about. Well... I don't like the "angry blue" color but anywhere between green and red tints are good by me.

red02

Enlightened
Not color blind at all but neutral and incan just look way too yellow to me. everything seems to be more brown/green outside not the right amount of brown/green. I've compared many photos and there is no way to convince me that neutral looks more natural than cool white, which looks very much like sun light.

strinq

Enlightened
I like my light to be bright white indoors and neutral outdoors.
Absolutely detest yellow lights indoors, it just makes everything dull and spooky.
Tried a comparison between the two tints in an empty indoor carpark and the neutral made it look like a scene from a slasher flick.

Noctis

Enlightened
Only thing that really has me concerned about the cool white tint is that I might not be able to tell when my emitter is bluing because of the heat:devil:.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting thread, this. One aspect I find particularly interesting is that some folk who are colour blind/deficient prefer cool white LEDs to increase contrast, while others prefer warm tints for (I think) the same reason (eg, in one case to make poo pop). Why? Does the former create a difference between the brightness of red and green objects because the cool white light has so little red in it? Does the latter emphasize/boost the warm colours you have trouble with?

I'm not colour blind so have no hope of testing this myself.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he ^ said.

As has been discussed in another thread, it is a small but vocal minority who keep on about tints and preference to neutral/warm.

When I need to see in the dark I simply need light. More of it, for longer than ever.

To me, beam profile is more important than tint.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm red-green deficient and have trouble distinguishing colors, particularly the thin lines shown on charts above. I worked in finance for years and hated presentations where red ink (looks like faded black or brown ink) means a negative number.

Please use parentheses to indicate negative numbers and different dotted / striped line patterns in line graphs.

That said, my lighting preference, both for cfl's in the house and in flashlights is a broad range between 4000K and 5500 K. I'd much rather have 6500K than 3300K or lower. I'm better able to distinguish colors with light sources of 4000K to 5500K than with 2000K (sodium) to 3300K (bright halogen).

Latest posts