Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

Scoobypup

Newly Enlightened
SCEMan said:
I guess I'm one of the 1 in 15 DOAs as I tightened mine with padded pliers and still not even a flicker...

I'm in the same boat. Tried it every which way and it won't even show me a glimmer of hope of working. I at least know the negative side of everything works as I ohmed it out. The positive side won't ohm but that may be because of internal circuitry or me not testing at the right points.
It really sux cuz I broke the incan when I removed it so I have no light now (it was a crappy bulb anyway but still). :candle:

bridgman

Enlightened
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

The threads are a bit tricky. The first few times I tried to install I couldn't get the threads to align properly so it stopped after a fraction of a turn. Eventually I got the threads lined up properly -- still had to use "more force than expected" to get it seated but it went all the way down and worked fine.

If the threads aren't aligned just right it won't screw down far enough to light up. If the threads are aligned properly it's still kind of "grindy" going down but it goes at least a couple of turns and works great.

Just keep trying until you get it right -- it's worth it. I tacked my beamshots on the end of Roar of the Yeti's thread linked above. On a 4D it's almost, but not quite twice as bright as a 4D MagLED.

Last edited:

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

Anyone have a runtime chart for this module in a 3 cell mag? I'm curious if the light will just instantly die once the voltage gets below a certain point or if there is some warning.

All the graphs I have seen are for 4 cell lights, where it drops out of regulation and goes into a lower mode. With 3 cells you would think it should do the same, but I'd like to see this on a graph.

I tried to run the module with 2 cell (3.0v) today but it would not turn on, so there must be some point where the circuit won't even try to light up the LED anymore...

-tibim

paulsl

Enlightened

Nice John and Yeti,

I'm very happy with mine in a 3 cell D mag with 4 C cells & spring reversed. I isn't nearly as bright on 3 cells. No graphs but you need 4 cells or IMHO it's not worth it.

Last edited:

ruralott

Newly Enlightened
paulsl said:
Nice John and Yeti,

I'm very happy with mine in a 3 cell D mag with 4 C cells & spring reversed. I isn't nearly as bright on 3 cells.......

I'd like to use 4 C on my 3D Mag too, but does it rattle?

Thanks

Face

Enlightened

I'm running mine on 4C in a 3D Mag.

I taped all the C cells together. I can't make any discernible rattling when I shake it.

I wonder who first worked out about turning the spring round to run 4C. What a great idea it was!

Face

SEMIJim

Enlightened
bridgman said:
The threads are a bit tricky. The first few times I tried to install I couldn't get the threads to align properly so it stopped after a fraction of a turn. Eventually I got the threads lined up properly -- still had to use "more force than expected" to get it seated but it went all the way down and worked fine.

If the threads aren't aligned just right it won't screw down far enough to light up. If the threads are aligned properly it's still kind of "grindy" going down but it goes at least a couple of turns and works great.
The alleged DOA's and this explanation, together, do not inspire as a testament to the quality of this product, IMO. Yeah, IIRC, the threads on the MagLite's bulb holder are rather fine, so I can understand how getting the unit properly started might be a bit tricky. But having to use force? A "gritty" feel as you tighten it? Only screws on "a couple of turns?" Is this what the rest of y'all are experiencing?

bridgman

Enlightened

>>But having to use force? A "gritty" feel as you tighten it?

My factory stock Mag3D had the same problems when screwing on the bulb retaining ring, so I didn't see this as a huge issue. It doesn't need a lot of force, just enough that it can be hard to tell if you have the threads aligned properly.

>>Only screws on "a couple of turns?"

For clarity, I don't mean "only screws on a couple of turns then the threads bind", but rather "the threaded ring is a bit shorter than the Mag retaining ring so in only takes 2-3 turns until it's fully seated and ready to go".

Sorry if these issues sounded worse than intended. I was just going into gory detail because I suspect that some or all of the "DOAs" are really just "not threaded on far enough" and wanted to see if I could help.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened

bridgman,

Ah, okay. Sounds like the threads on your Mag weren't cut cleanly, perhaps. The retaining rings on both my Mags screw-on/-off smoothly.

Thanks for clarifying all that.

Scoobypup

Newly Enlightened
SEMIJim said:
The alleged DOA's and this explanation, together, do not inspire as a testament to the quality of this product, IMO. Yeah, IIRC, the threads on the MagLite's bulb holder are rather fine, so I can understand how getting the unit properly started might be a bit tricky. But having to use force? A "gritty" feel as you tighten it? Only screws on "a couple of turns?" Is this what the rest of y'all are experiencing?

I for one didn't have these problems and yet I still have an apparent DOA. I can screw mine on just fine and I am sure it goes all the way down. If you look into the openings on each side where the LED posts are soldered, you can see that the negative connection does indeed make contact (the heatsink is non-conductive). I even used a small nut to make sure the center post was making contact.
I am still messing around with trying different things, but so far it isn't looking too good. I also can't seem to be able to ohm through the positive side either. It may be because of the internal circuitry however. The negative side up to the LED is good though.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's quite possible, even likely, that there are a few truly DOA units. I do know that TerraLUX tests every single unit before shipping but it's inevitable that some may slip through or problems not readily apparent on initial testing crop up. That said, we've shipped many hundreds of them and outside of the 2 reported DOA's here I've not had one truly DOA unit returned so that still makes the DOA rate for orders we've shipped less than .25% which is acceptable in my book for a hand-assembled item considering BatteryJunction.com recevied the first 500 ever made.

If, after trying to tighten it sufficiently, you still are having problems please simply request an RMA via HELP page on the website and we'd be happy to replace it.

True

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, MattK - while mine is working after rigging it with foil and flattening the bottom as I described in my post, out of four other TerraLux products I own, this is currently my only working one. Everything else broke.

I'm just hoping this will be a little bit more rugged. If not, oh well - I am sort of expecting to just somehow break the next time I go to use it. :/

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi True,

Have you ever contacted TerraLUX regarding the other items? I'm willing to be they'd replace them all - no questions asked.

TerraLUX, Inc.

1501 Lee Hill Road,
Unit 4
Boulder, CO 80304

Ph: 866-498-1564
Fx: 303-942-3584

[email protected]

Scoobypup

Newly Enlightened
Mattk, I decided to just go ahead and order another TerraLUX upgrade. Unfortunately, somehow the email address that was saved is not my actual email address. It went to [email protected].
My email address is my screenname @yahoo.com

I'm sending out an email to batteryjunction.com as well. I can't figure out how that email got added as I didn't even type one in.

weird.

Royicus

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today and threw it into a 4D maglite. This is my first LED light, so I can only compare it to my incandescents. All in all, it is OK. The beam is very tight.

It is brighter than my streamlight strion, but not as bright as my maglite rechargeable. I'll see if I can get a few beamshots in the coming days.

I also had an issue with the LED not screwing into the flashlight well. I have a feeling it is due to the non-uniformity of the cylinder that has the threads. Perhaps it is a bit oblong or crooked. Nevertheless, with a bit of pressure, it went on and seated down at the bottom.

Guess this thing should run a lot longer than the regular maglite bulb, which is primarly the reason that I bought it. Running it off of 4 alkalines for now.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scoobypup - You're all set. :)

Royicus- Welcome to CPF!

A MagCharger will definitely be brighter - for about 30 minutes. :)

The MagChargers seems to put out about 175+ lumens. TerraLUX offers a dropin for the MagChargers as well, the TLE-100EX - brightness is equal or greater than the stock bulb though the beam is considerably more floody (and has less throw as a result) but of course will also run 4 X as long meaning you battery life (not runtime, but cycles) will be extended about equally as well.

Runtime on 4 fresh alkaline cells will be 15+ hrs.

Royicus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info MattK. The LED upgrade for the Magcharger seems interesting, but I plan to convert mine into a throw monster. I'm going to do some number crunching and data sheet searching to try and figure out the best bulb and battery combo to get good light output and decent runtime. I know there are existing bulb/battery combos, but I'm a skeptic :)

I just used my converted 4D maglite outside to poke wasp nests off the side of the house and the light worked very well. All in all, I'd say I'm happy with the product and it is what I expected.

And thanks for the welcome :)