Anyone here a shortwave radio listener?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Did a little research on Pocket Reel Antenna, and sounds pretty doable for sure

Yeah, they're super easy to use; attach the clip to your radio's whip antenna, then unreel it as far as you can in a straight line, oriented in the direction of the station you're trying to get - it's easiest to start out east-west, but you can dial it in for specific signals, SW-NE for Australia, SE-NW for Cuba, etc.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've attached alligator clips to the end of an old long appliance power cord and gotten good results, too. Not as convenient as the reel type, but they are tough.

Geoff

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, they're super easy to use; attach the clip to your radio's whip antenna, then unreel it as far as you can in a straight line, oriented in the direction of the station you're trying to get - it's easiest to start out east-west, but you can dial it in for specific signals, SW-NE for Australia, SE-NW for Cuba, etc.

Pretty kool.. ..finally after yrs of not getting much use from my SW unit, will be like having a "new" toy to break late night boredom.!?
Cheers,
Full Power

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
At this moment 6:39 am on 6150 Radio Australia has a very good music program. ShortwaveSchedule.com is a good guide to listening, plus a good quality radio is also important.
There is still plenty activity on SW. I am bilingual, so I also enjoy the spanish speaking programs, but there are many programs in english. It's important to have a good radio!! I don't use external antena, but I have very good radios. The Eaton e1 xm, and the satellit 500 and 700 are super!! also the Sony 2010 is great and very reliable. I also use a panasonic 2200, that is very good for long distance am stations.

I don't watch TV at all, I only listen to good radio programs in am, fm, or sw.

Spork

Enlightened
I've always loved radio stuff. We rely too much on the internet and mobile phones for communications. You also have to pay big $$ to use these services but it seems tough to get by without it anymore.

I subscribe to the portable radio thread and picked up a new sw radio as well. I wanted it mostly for emergency purposes so I've only messed with it a few times. I did find a cool prepper broadcast but forgot the name. They were discussing the possibility of solar flares bringing down the power grid. Most stations were not in english or I had no interest in listening to them anyway. I probably listened to the scanner more often. I don't think our local pd is encrypted yet but there is a web page that lists any major event announced over the scanner anyway. The internet is faster and easier to obtain the information that I want.

Is there much activity on the ham bands for 10m and below besides cw? 2 meters is usually fun to listen. I have the urge to get my technician license and maybe go for general if those bands have anything going on. I wanted to do this when I was a kid but never got around to taking the test even though I studied for it. Monitoring bands that have 2 way communications that I can also participate in seems more fun.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I got my technician license after they dropped the morse code requirement. I was going to experiment with ATV but other things just kept eating up my time.

The technician license isn't that difficult. You should go for it.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was an avid SWL for about 40 years. I can still remember listening to HCJB, "The Voice of the Andes" as a kid in the 1950s. In the 70s I got news from Europe on SW via 'the polar hop' when I lived in the Upper Kuskoquim area in Alaska. It was pretty good except for the flutter.

Anyone remember SW calls to SAC bombers? Looking Glass?

I still have the radios but I don't SWL anymore. It seemed to me in the 90s that much of the money spent broadcasting SW was increasingly diverted to try and reach people via the Internet.

Sad.

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
I've always loved radio stuff. We rely too much on the internet and mobile phones for communications. You also have to pay big $$ to use these services but it seems tough to get by without it anymore.

I subscribe to the portable radio thread and picked up a new sw radio as well. I wanted it mostly for emergency purposes so I've only messed with it a few times. I did find a cool prepper broadcast but forgot the name. They were discussing the possibility of solar flares bringing down the power grid. Most stations were not in english or I had no interest in listening to them anyway. I probably listened to the scanner more often. I don't think our local pd is encrypted yet but there is a web page that lists any major event announced over the scanner anyway. The internet is faster and easier to obtain the information that I want.

Is there much activity on the ham bands for 10m and below besides cw? 2 meters is usually fun to listen. I have the urge to get my technician license and maybe go for general if those bands have anything going on. I wanted to do this when I was a kid but never got around to taking the test even though I studied for it. Monitoring bands that have 2 way communications that I can also participate in seems more fun.

Other than the internet (via cell phone), the radio is all I listen too. I haven't watched TV in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its been a few years but I got Radio Prague very clear one night. I went to the website and posted a listener report. I expected a reply but got a very good swag collection and letter. The radio sits on the coffee table but hasn't been on lately.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
picked up a new sw radio as well. I wanted it mostly for emergency purposes

Shortwave isn't for emergencies; if there's a flood in your area, you're not going to get much help from Radio Philippines. Your local news and community radio is where it's at emergency-wise, usually on the AM band.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the last week or so I've been able to pick up the BBC English broadcast on 12095 KHz off the whip starting at 10pm central time. I'm in Tennessee and am curious if anyone is able to pick tune the BBC in and where you are. The signal is weak but it is audible.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
For the last week or so I've been able to pick up the BBC English broadcast on 12095 KHz off the whip starting at 10pm central time. I'm in Tennessee and am curious if anyone is able to pick tune the BBC in and where you are. The signal is weak but it is audible.

That's the Mediterranean broadcast, out of Oman.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The BBC doesn't broadcast to North America, but they broadcast to everywhere else from everywhere else. I used to catch the France repeater aimed at Africa.