Apex Revisited

darklord

Newly Enlightened
I bought an Princetontec Apex for a few quid on our favourite auction site - cheap as chips because the battery compartment was a mess (leaked batteries, corrosion, broken off terminals etc), but the headpiece looked ok. The battery case was binned and the headpiece hooked up to an old but serviceable Petzl duo battery case - hey presto, light!

RA2I0DOoVi2L4aLqsttsAQRNfdDMZaOLUQ6uYloFEC8

I've no idea how old this Apex is - orange headpiece which says H2O 1m on it, and grey battery compartment. No clue on output, but main beam is adequate and the 4x small leds are plenty bright enough. I did some research and downloaded a PDF from PT which suggests a 275 lumen output, but I don't think it's that strong.

Nevertheless, it was the side LEDS I would be using and the tech sheet suggested 8.5hrs regulated and 100hrs total light (to 0.25lux). so I bunged some fresh alkalines in and switched it on.

It seemed to run fine and bright for about 9hrs, but the next time I came to look at it, after 12hrs, it was extinguished - zero light! This was a bit of a surprise and concern. However, after leaving it a while (I was doing other things, shopping etc) I switched it on again and found....light! It's been burning away for several hours, not as bright, but chuntering along. I assume this is the out of regulation lighting which will steadily fall in output.

The question I have is: is it normal for the Apex to switch off completely after its regulated burntime? And is it normally necessary to switch it on again to access the unregulated lighting? Seems a strange way to operate!

The other disappointment is the awful main beam profile, with a good central beam, then a big black ring, and then some faint peripheral lighting which is not much use to anyone. It's like looking though a big black doughnut! The side LED lighting is fine.

Last edited:

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Just bumping this - I thought their must be a few Apex fans out there with some answers!... ;)

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
My Apex was lost for two years. I found it last week under my four wheeler seat. I was really happy to find it,i thought it had been stolen. Glad I had lithium batteries in it and not leaky alkaline!

The center bulb doesn't work after getting beat around under the seat with the spare tools. But the four outer lights still work.

I bought a Finex HL30 to replace it, I'm not a huge fan of it. I tried a ptec Eos, don't care for the modes on it.

Work issues ptec quads for us to wear on or hard hats. Im on the same lamp after five years and it gets regular use.

I really like my Apex, since I found it I've been using it daily in the shop at home. It just fits and balances well for me. I use it often in the winter at sub zero temps and never had an issue with it.

I think I'll see if I can get the center light repaired.

drmaxx

Enlightened
@kgrant: Check out this old thread for repairing/upgrading the apex: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?171344-PT-Apex-mod&highlight=upgrade+apex

@darklord: Not sure about my answer as I only use rechargables in my apex. But if I have to guess then what you describe is most likely an alkaline characteristics. While under use the internal resistance and therefore the voltage can drop substantially, so that the light turns off. However, letting it rest for a while can let the battery recover again - so that you can use it for some time. We usually did that resting on a (warm - NOT HOT) heater especially during winter.

Latest posts