Apparently some people are not flashaholics

JCD

Enlightened
I'm not familiar with Dominican culture, but there might also be a cultural aspect we're not considering. Using a flashlight while everyone else uses candles might be considered flaunting a luxury others lack. Or, perhaps many Dominicans have a nostalgic connection to life by candlelight.

Either way, using candles instead of a flashlight may have been done to better fit in with the locals.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Ya should have given her a case of AA batteries with the light. And made certain she knew how to replace them. Seriously. Some people are not mechanically nor technically minded at all.

Even AA batteries can be pricey and hard to get in certain places

And there's nothing wrong with candles either, they work :)

EDIT - JCD has a good point - it may have been more acceptable to use candles because of the culture

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
You really only sent the light with her with the battery that was in it, and no spares? Or did she have spares, and just didn't use them?

I know that it is difficult for people in urban areas to imagine, but there are parts of the world where there aren't convenience stores on every corner. I'd suspect that the batteries simply weren't readily available.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
A few years ago, when I started getting into 'quality' lights, I gifted an unprepared friend of mine a Fenix L2D CE as he was always using some freebie plastic piece of junk AA torch which was held together with tape. I demonstrated the modes, how bright it could be, the long run times, the fact that it would happily feed on free part-used cells they throw out at his workplace etc. He seemed very impressed and I thought he might be a convert, or at least appreciate having a much better illumination tool. Imagine my horror when I found out a year later that he'd traded it in for a stock MiniMag because he 'liked the Mag silver body'. :mecry:

DM51

Flashaholic
nbp, I really feel for you - to have your generous and thoughtful gift ignored in this way is very disappointing.

However... don't take it too hard. It's just the way some women are. There are many honorable and distinguished exceptions, such as Greta, lisantica, Mrs. Guru etc., but perhaps the majority just don't understand.

We don't really understand them too well, either. And poor FloggedSynapse clearly doesn't:

Ya should have given her a case of AA batteries with the light
Wouldn't work, FS - just wouldn't work. She'd empty out the batts and use the case for makeup, lol. That's what Mrs. DM51 would do, anyway :green:

Tuikku

Enlightened
I've numerous times "repaired" peoples remotes. Suddenly they complaint their TV don't work or only works with the buttons the on TV. Every time they're surprised that a remote control need batteries :eek: :ohgeez: :hairpull: :banghead:

ploeoe.gif

burntoshine

Enlightened
A few years ago, when I started getting into 'quality' lights, I gifted an unprepared friend of mine a Fenix L2D CE as he was always using some freebie plastic piece of junk AA torch which was held together with tape. I demonstrated the modes, how bright it could be, the long run times, the fact that it would happily feed on free part-used cells they throw out at his workplace etc. He seemed very impressed and I thought he might be a convert, or at least appreciate having a much better illumination tool. Imagine my horror when I found out a year later that he'd traded it in for a stock MiniMag because he 'liked the Mag silver body'. :mecry:

wha'?? that's something a woman would do! ..and you should tell him that. :laughing: i got my wife a purple fenix E01. i had told her i ordered it and she was actually a tad bit excited when it came in the mail (probably just because we both like getting things in the mail). she opened it and twisted the head and said, "it's not working!". i said, "you have to put a battery in it first.". she thought it was strange that it didn't come with a battery. i quickly put a lithium in it. she said she's used it a couple times already and i'm just glad it's always there with her the few times we're not together with my arsenal.

my wife thinks my flashaholism is "cute", but doesn't share my interest so much; oddly, her sister seems significantly more fascinated with the flashlights i've shown her and she actually has retained some of the things i told her about them and asks good questions.

...exactly...i got some nice flashlights, but i'm no "flashaholic"; i just like to purchase and use the best tools i can afford...and then stop buying them when i got what i need.

when i first started buying decent flashlights, i also thought i would stop when i got what i need; i was very wrong. i discovered i'm very much a flashaholic. first of all, i'm overkill on everything. i like to have spares and replacements for everything, and then sometimes spares and replacements for the spares and replacements.

...to the topic at hand. candles are all well and good, but you should always have something that won't fall over and burn your building down and that you can carry with you without worrying about walking too fast and the light going out. also, candles aren't waterproof-ish. i suspect a warm tinted light would be best for her; with extra batteries.

i am fond of the flame, but flashlights are a must.

Teobaldo

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]McAllan is in the correct thing: some people do not have [/FONT]a basic technical knowledge. A friend mine was astonished when I opened mi little Maglite 2xAAA for extract the batteries and use in the remote control of the DVD. It's a simple operation, but the "batteries" concept seems too much martian for some people. If you speak of Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh, mAh, charge times, the thing is put a lot worse.

Years ago, I taught my brothers the use and refill of the batteries and now they use your flashlights without problems (sometimes they forgot charge the batteries, but is a minor nuisance). My sister wanted a little and brillant flashlight and brougth a Fenix LD01 (and I a LD20, he, he, he); she is very happy with the purchase.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is amazing. Having the technology on hand to provide some convenience is let go. I can see what others have said. I chuckle to myself...if this had been a car that had used up all the gas in the tank...would she abandon the car and walk or bicycle to her destination? Presuming obtaining gas was not difficult nor super expensive.

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
EDIT - JCD has a good point - it may have been more acceptable to use candles because of the culture

If a bunch of people are to stay in a dark place for some time, to have their lunch or do any house chore you can think of, the soft and ambient light of candles might be just what they need.
If you're inspecting under a car or doing something that requires precision I'd say a flashlight is good, but the rest of the time, in a cabin or whatever, just keep the Quark in your pocket just in case and thats it

nbp

Flashaholic
Wow! I didn't expect so many people to jump on me!

To respond to a few comments:

She mentioned before she even left that others used flashlights (thus the reason I was happy to get her one) so I don't think it was a cultural thing.

She recieved a thorough explanation on how to use the light before she left and she's very intelligent, so it's not like she didn't know how to change a battery. She just didn't.

Batteries were available to her. She said she didn't buy any, NOT that there weren't any.

And I can't imagine that using candles is that much cheaper than the Quark. It will run 48 hrs on low on a single AA. Think about it.

And the neutral tint of a candle? Really? I don't think she cares about tint.

And even if I had given her more batteries, what's to say the same thing wouldn't have happened later on in the trip?

I dunno. I have no idea why she didn't use it. I'm just expressing the fact that I was a little hurt by the fact that she didn't care to use what I felt was a pretty nice and obviously useful gift. And then actually told me so.

Where's the appreciation?

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet she used it all the time, she's got it in her back pocket right now.

She just don't fancy you! Buy her some flowers next time :naughty:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I always try to discourage folks from spending a bunch on a light for their wives and girlfriends. No matter how well intentioned they in general don't see nifty little gadgets like we do.

Geoff

pauliedoggs

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I didn't expect so many people to jump on me!

To respond to a few comments:

She mentioned before she even left that others used flashlights (thus the reason I was happy to get her one) so I don't think it was a cultural thing.

She recieved a thorough explanation on how to use the light before she left and she's very intelligent, so it's not like she didn't know how to change a battery. She just didn't.

Batteries were available to her. She said she didn't buy any, NOT that there weren't any.

And I can't imagine that using candles is that much cheaper than the Quark. It will run 48 hrs on low on a single AA. Think about it.

And the neutral tint of a candle? Really? I don't think she cares about tint.

And even if I had given her more batteries, what's to say the same thing wouldn't have happened later on in the trip?

I dunno. I have no idea why she didn't use it. I'm just expressing the fact that I was a little hurt by the fact that she didn't care to use what I felt was a pretty nice and obviously useful gift. And then actually told me so.

Where's the appreciation?

First of all, I feel you. I've been there and done that and not just with flashights. I know how you feel. But, you cannot give with strings attached. You cannot give any gift and expect someone to do with it what you want them to do with it. After you give it, it's theirs to do with as they please. And you cannot, without becoming a nuisance, tell them what to do with it or add any stipulations to how they need to use it. Your intention was of the best kind and it was to sincerely help her. You are golden. I wish my little sister had you as a friend.

Sounds like you did the right thing by not saying anything to her.

Bummer, though. Nice light you gave her :candle:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always try to discourage folks from spending a bunch on a light for their wives and girlfriends. No matter how well intentioned they in general don't see nifty little gadgets like we do.

Geoff
I totally agree.

I really feel for the OP since it was such a kind gesture and you would think a light was what she really would need under such circumstances and she would really appreciate it. But when she didn't even use it or recognize the value of the light, it gotta sting.

But you have to look at it from the other end of the spectrum. It's actually we that are the weird ones, come on, we're members of a flashlight forum. We will tend to be more horrified than we should when people don't use flahslights in certain situations, and we will often use flashlight when there really isn't a need for one.

I've been for ex shocked on fishing trips when some buddies decides to go back to the car through the forest in the middle of the night without a light, but then it turns out they did fine(although there are other situations were I had to come to the rescue as well, cause people didn't bring lights and there are some tasks they can't do in the dark). There are plenty of situations when you can manage without a light and as hobbyist we tend to over estimate the need. Most people make by with crappy lights or no lights. If they had the actual need for better, then they show up here...

In this case, it might have just been more convenient for her to use candle lights. Doesn't stick out from the crowd, might have been a good supply and it became a routine for her to use it etc.

We love our flashlight. Most other people don't. Flashlights as a gift should be a big NO unless you're really sure that the person needs and WANTS(and you'd be surprised how far apart those can be) one.

I could not believe it. I didn't tell her that was a $57 flashlight and that I specifically got the 1xAA for her so it would be as cheap and easy as possible to power it and that I was a little disappointed that it got relegated to the junk drawer and that if she didn't want it I'd take it back. I didn't say any of those things. Maybe she'll come around still.

Apparently some people just aren't flashaholics. :sigh:

It's not that it's easy to replace, it might just be downright impossible.

A solar charger would have worked- if it didn't get stolen.

These areas (and mind you, I"ve never been, but my company sends folks for the 'watermark program') have 0 power. A hand crank generate could work- and produce more power than these folks have seen.

Anyways... I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd just send her a solar charger for her next trip.

HIDblue

Enlightened
NBP...what you did was a thoughtful gesture, that's ALL you have to worry about. This is extreme, but if you buy someone a car, are you expected to supply them with extra gas? Or if you buy someone a gun, are you expected to supply them with bullets?

You would think that common sense would dictate the she would've been able to scrounge up some AA batteries since they are one of the most readily available batteries around. For God sakes, you can find those at pretty much every POS gas station around. I guess she wasn't a Girl Scout in her youth, huh? That's the first thing they teach you in the Boy Scouts...always be prepared.

Don't sweat the criticism. You did a nice thing. Don't worry about the rest. :cool:

Zendude

Enlightened
...exactly...i got some nice flashlights, but i'm no "flashaholic"; i just like to purchase and use the best tools i can afford...and then stop buying them when i got what i need.

I can imagine you looking in the mirror saying that!