Apparently some people are not flashaholics

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local 4sevens dealer told me about a month ago that he came home oneday and his wife had bought a $5 multi-led AAA DD light for their kid to use.:mecry:

What is wrong with this world?

On a positive note, I'm slowly converting my missus. Got her an EX10 SP with clip for mum's day and she loves it. She didn't think I would get her one as she thinks $58 is a lot of money for such a small light. Better not tell her what some of them cost.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I want to apologize for hijacking this thread.

Second, if I were a 4sevens dealer, I'd have to beat da wife or something and third, no, the glass wasn't magnifying but it had different areas that were colored that faded into each other. Hot stuff :)
You would watch football (the REAL football, ehem...) and one corner would be blueish, the other one greenish and so on.

Anyway, back to bashing the girl that got the candles instead of using the light :)

GregWormald

Enlightened
I was actually born in Canada, and I can remember the first Canadian broadcasts in 1952, although we did get brief glimpses from New York State before that.
Greg

burntoshine

Enlightened
So in what in particular leads you to conclude that anyone reading these forums will find this behavior at all unusual...???
crackup.gif

excellent question, for which i have no answer. :drunk:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn! That's hilarious!

I couldn't help myself, I had to chime in...

So, what's the word, is this a flashlight or tv thread? I'm confused... :banghead:

kayakjax

Newly Enlightened
The guys I work with look at me like I have two heads because I carry a Solarforce L2P in my carpenter jeans' leg pocket. They keep wanting to see "that $50 flashlight", like I'm carrying around a gold ingot.

(These are guys making $700 payments on $40,000 trucks!)

They think the 2D Rayovacs the job issues them are okay (until they see me REALLY light up their work from 50 feet behind them).

Of course, I use the job-supplied Streamlight headlamp on my hard hat, too.

I don't even tell them about the Quark Titanium Mini CR2 on the lanyard around my neck or the Photon light on my keychain....

Either you're a flashaholic or you aren't. I've converted a few, but most will never get it.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right. Some people just don't want to learn which I don't get by the way.
If I can learn something, I usually will.

I just had it out kinda with a friend of mine. She was doing something stupid and of course, refused to be corrected or see that she was wrong so I left.
Not the first time she gets pi$$y when she's tired and in a bad mood. :sigh:

HOWEVER the problem is not that, it's that when she's like that, she won't listen to anything as she's just mad and subsequently won't learn a thing. Sadly she is like this very often and very limited in the stuff she knows which I think is a shame but what to do.

Same thing with your friends/co workers and many people I know. Nope, they know it all and rather than admitting you might be right, they'll use that sucky light.

Burgess

Flashaholic
as the saying goes . . . .

To those who understand -- no explanation is necessary

To those who don't understand -- no explanation is possible

:candle:
_

Halfpint

Newly Enlightened
In the years before our retirement(s) SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) and I ran a Stereo / Hi-Fi repair/restore shop. Both of us depended upon assorted `penlights' to be able to peer into places that the regular `worklights' we had on our benches. Usually they were pretty much whatever we either went and bought them ourselves or were given as `promo' `goodies' from either our suppliers or one of the brands we were the local `Factory Authorized Repair Center'. Shortly before we shut down and finally retired we were asked by McIntosh to be the repair and recalibration service at one of their `McIntosh Clinics' they were going to be doing several places in the state. As a`Token' of their appreciation that we had basically closed up our shop that day and spent all day working the `clinic' they gave each of us, my wife and I along with our two technicians, a `set' of assorted Streamlight flash lights in McIntosh colors, brown and gold, packaged in a custom fitted walnut case. *That* `opened my eyes' as to what one could get over and above what one could find locally.

Now, you may be wondering where this is going... Well... {GRIN!} This piqued my interest and I started looking at, and even sometimes bought, all the various `other' flashlights. Since we have always had an unspoken `rule' whereby if one goes out and buys something that isn't what one usually buys the buyer buys something for the other person. For a while SWMBO basically overlooked my `splurges' for flashlights until I started buying flashlights that had three digit pricetags. Around that time she also started asking `why?' I had paid *that* much. Now jump forward a few years, about 2½ years, and I've got all sorts/types of flashlights scattered `hither and yon' around not only our house but also in toolboxes in our shop buildings, trucks, cars, and other machinery, we live on a farm, `just because'. SWMBO surprises me by asking me one day pretty much `out of the blue' why isn't she also acquiring a flashlight of her own now and then! Up until then she either hadn't asked or actually poked me over whatever purchase I had made at that time. Now, unless it is something that she considers to be more `trial' of something new, unique or`specialized', she expects me to ask her if she would like me to order one for her. Up until then she would have never been considered to be a `Flashaholic'! (BTW, both of our children, daughter 17 and son 13, are also becoming afflicted with `Flashahlism'! {VB GRIN!} As an example or two... This last weekend while I was getting a few things at one our `big box' lumber, house repair/remodeling stores my daughter tracks me down and throws into my cart a trio of LED MiniMag-lites explaining that she wanted one and the others were for her brother and mother. When I asked her why she hadn't pick up four instead she got this `look' and went off at almost a `deadrun' and reappears, like she might have been `transported' via a StarTrek transporter.)

Now, just today, coming back home from a doctor appointment I remember that according to a topic here I could most likely be able to `score' one of those new Mag-Lite LED XL100s at the `Big Box lumber, house repair/remodeling store' that we were going to be `passing by' shortly and *Why Not* do so! Of course, once I got home and opened the packing `drek' and was starting play with it *All Three* wanted to know if I was `sick' or something as I hadn't bought four?!?!

What I am trying to say is, "Sometimes even those `teatotalers' can turn into `Flashaholics' if one is just patient and doesn't try all that much. {VBE GRIN!} Yeah, it doesn't hurt to now and then occasionally, when they ask for a flashlight one hands them one of the `current offerings' in place of the one they are probably expecting, too.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet or like I say (I made this up around 15 years ago or so but have never been able to express it so it sounds good) only intelligent people know when/that they're stupid.

Face it, stupid people generally don't know they're stupid...although I DO have a friend of mine that knows he is but that in my opinion makes him SMARTER than most...

nbp

Flashaholic
I feel the same way about crazies.

If you think you might be crazy, you aren't. Because crazy people have no idea they're crazy...:duh2:

bodhran

Enlightened
I had just gotten the Fenix tk10 when they came out and went on a camping trip with our friends. A valve was stuck under his motorhome and he asked to barrow my flashlight. Next thing I know I hear a banging as he's trying to open the valve with my light. If I remember right, I was in tears and my wife was patting me on the back saying...it's ok...we'll buy you another. Luckily just had a small knick on the bezel, otherwise I may have had to hurt him. :eek:

Last edited: