ARC-LS LED Waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icest0rm

Newly Enlightened
I took my new Arc LS LED camping over the weekend and ended up dropping it in a shallow creek. Now there is water inside the lens and on the reflector as well. Upon close inspection the lens assembly appears loose inside the aluminum housing and "rattles" when shaken. Are these expensive toys supposed to be water proof? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
the recently produced arc-ls (marked 'lsl' or 'lsh') should be waterproof... you may have purchased an 'old' ls1 (marked 'ls led') which is only water resistant.

anyway - hopefully peter will chime in.

chris

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, icestr0rm, this sounds like a defective unit because the lens is loose. The loose lens of course inteferred with the water sealing of the unit so it leaked. My apologies. Now, it is unusual for a new unit to have a loose lens (infact, I don't think I have seen one). But if this was an older design (say >6 months), the possibility of a loose lens is increased. If you remember from the QC list I published here, one of the things we check for is the presence of a loose lens.

At any rate, you have my apologies and this is covered under our 10-year warranty. Please send the unit back. We most likely will replace the entire head.

Peter

icest0rm

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the response!

I purchased the unit from The LED Light on 3/31/03
It is marked "First Run #1036"

Do I return it to The LED Light or somewhere else?

icest0rm

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a "First Run" unit?!! That is definately a >6 month old unit.

All warranty returns are made to us directly, regardless of where you have purchased it:

Arc Flashlight
1835 E. 6th Street
Suite 21
Tempe, AZ. 85281

Peter Gransee

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think a "first run" unit would be a collectible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is as old as I think it is, it may be before we even started claiming water resistance. Ask your dealer or us if you are not sure what you are getting.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
icest0rm, I will cc Merri on your post. FYI, she's the one to contact on returns. She is much better organized than I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif She'll ask me for help if your email is too complicated.

"Led mods", not that many g-kits were sold. They actually are a fairly rare item.

Btw, the current LS series (LSL, LSH) will leak if the tail switch is loose. But if it is snug, it should have no problem with 50 feet or more of water. In the 30 lights (randomly sampled from production over a 2 month period) we pressure tested, the ones that leaked had loose tail switches.

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recommend lube on the tail switch.

The nylon doesn't really need lube from a friction standpoint. Lube also won't make it that much more waterproof since you have the body spring interupting the threads. Using lube may even interfere with the electrical contact of the body spring to thread surface.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.