Arc LSH

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all. I picked up an Arc LSH last week and am thinking about doing an emitter swap. I did it years ago, but am not sure what I can do today. Does anyone know if I can put an xpg2 in it? Are reflectors still available for it somewhere? A long time ago I had a nice picture tutorial to do the mod. It was very helpful as I never do this kind of thing. I don't want to ruin the light. Any advice would be welcome. I'm hoping to keep it single mode but improve the tint. Thanks!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello
Haven't seen your name in a long time. Good to see you posting!
All I remember seeing was a triple upgrade.
I would think a Nitchia 4K rink would be a nice upgrade. I find their beam pattern more forgiving. But that only on 3 upgrade from lux III led. The difference is amazing. I also like the XML for the same reason they seem to work well and give maximum output.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a pictorial take-apart guide for the Arc-LS series, but no longer have a convenient web host. PM me with your email for the PDF (5MB).

I thought I had heard of SSC P4 in high CRI, which would be perfect here.

I think it would take a bit of work to adapt the Luxeon pad for XPG, but not impossible. The Arcs had all the components and the LED on a folded circuit over a metal core, not like today's LED on metal core with another board of components. Hard to say what optic or reflector might work with an adapted XPG. I think it would depend on whether you can adjust the height of the LED. My Arcs are still at SSC P4 LEDs and Khatod reflectors. I like them, except for the poor CRI and different levels, so modern lights with Nichias get the workouts.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul6ppca: Thanks. I've been around but mostly in the HDS and Malkoff forums. Is the nichia and xml a direct replacement? As in no retrofitting?

louie: pm sent. SSC P4 High CRi would be perfect with the Khatod. Not sure I can get the materials. I might be 10+ years to late! I think adapting an LED would be over my head. I know my limits and I'd rather leave it stock if there is potential for me to destroy it.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
The HI-CRI emitter is a Seoul S42180-S2 , @ 92cri, IIRC. It may be hard and time consuming, but not impossible to find NOS.
Many of the bicycle forums I frequented made use of that emitter for bike lights.
Personally, if the LSH is in good shape, I would leave it stock.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nichia 219 series has an XPG footprint, which is different from XML and the old Luxeon 1W. XPG and XM need reflow soldering (no leads, just pads).

That said, I did fit a Nichia 219A into my HDS, which originally came with a Luxeon. I reflowed the Nichia onto an 8mm MCPCB (metal core PCB) which simulates the diameter of a Luxeon, then stacked it onto a blank 8mm to raise it to about where the die was before, then tacked the HDS lead wires onto the MCPCB pads. It's a bit of a kludge, and looks like it come very close to shorting out the wires on the reflector, but so far, so good.

The SSC Hi-CRI would be great if you can find some.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think any new emitter will require some retrofitting. At least in my experience.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all. For now I will leave it stock. However, I'm going to look for a ssc p4 led and the reflector. I wouldn't mind pulling the optic and putting in a reflector with the stock led. Anyone know which reflectors are compatible with the stock led and the ssc?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used Khatod 17mm smooth reflectors in my Arc LSs, and like the result - a smooth beam with a moderate center hot spot. They were also available in textured. The IMS 17mm (SO17XA) might also work, but I think you have to trim off the 3 legs; I think I used these in Surefire KL1s. I tried combinations of the original optics (NX-05 and Fraen) and didn't like them. The SSC P4 and the OEM Luxeon 1W have the same shape, so the fit is the same.

I think I got these at the Sandwich Shoppe. I can look through my bag of parts.

I wouldn't mind getting some high CRI P4s myself!

pc_light

Enlightened
You can file down a current gen Cree/Nichia (such as the XP-G2) MCPCB to simulate the shape of the Luxeon emitter of an Arc LSH. I've done a couple. The MCPCB winds up looking like an old Airforce Roundel shape (round in middle with two projecting sides.

You can also use the existing optic, (or a reflector if you prefer). You just have to shim the filed down MCPCB to the correct height.

The upgrade to modern emitters alone doubles output without any circuitry changes. Worth the upgrade.

-----------------
I couldn't find photos of the Arc mod I did but here's another Luxeon to Cree mod to illustrate the Pos/Neg terminal contacts and height adjustments to which I was referring.
Original Luxeon
dUqioKB.jpg

Replacement Cree XP-L (in this case I used a 8mm MCPCB, copper shins for height and copper braid for contacts) Similar to what @louie mentioned.
ZsknUPz.jpg

Last edited: