Arc sometimes doesn't come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznduece

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arc sometimes doesn\'t come on

This has happeneed to me too.. I have a Arc AAA LE. What should I do?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by aznduece:
This has happeneed to me too.. I have a Arc AAA LE. What should I do?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I believe I speak for Mr. P. Gransee when I say;
"PLEASE SEND IT TO ME! I promise I'll look at it and get back to CPF'ers with a report.."

Arc Flashlight, LLC.
2162 W. Osage Ave
Mesa, AZ. 85202
(480) 752-8554
Please include with the flashlight your name, return address, phone number and date you purchased the flashlight.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter,

I will send mine in the next couple of days, but I really hate to be without it!

Please take care not to mix my 3.1 LE with another one, unless you have a better, even brighter one! (maybe a 3.2 LE!)

Willmore

Enlightened

I've seen this happen when the battery is almost pooped--as has been stated before. It's one thing that caused me to ask Peter if a stability analysis had been done on the circuit that poweres the LED. I wasn't expecting the answer to be yes and he didn't suprise me. I wouldn't be suprised if there were some unstable behaviors at very low battery voltages. Think of the power converter as an amplifier. You're running with a driving signal (the battery) that changes in voltage and impedence with age. It would take a miracle to be able to design an amp that's unconditionally stable under that input condition--not to mention what an odd load an LED is.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Saaby:
I have an Arc AAA and occasionally under freak circumstances it doesn't turn on. Usually this is when I have been using it, and turn it off, and try to turn it back on. TO fix it I have to take the head almost all the way off and then put it back on...is it just the battery being off center? This is ver 3.1 with the roll crimp if that helps
smile.gif

Note: It's not by any means a flicker, once it's on it stays on...it's just getting it on in the first place.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My 3.1 LE is also doing this. I tried different batteries and cleaned the contacts but no change. It is also very dim and blue. I have pulled the foam off the head, and it does indeed appear to be a 3.1

Darell

Flashaholic

Doesn't seem to matter what the version number is. But I've been able to fix several of them when this happenes.

Roll crip is the answer! V3.1 incorporates a roll crimp, but I'm not too impressed with it. You can do a MUCH better job on your own with about five minutes of patience. Just remove the foam retainer, and roll the edge of the head. I've fixed three or four of my own this way, and have helped about ten other members fix theirs. I haven't had it NOT fix one yet.

Roll, baby. Roll.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. The first batch of roll crimps could of used more "meat" to the lip. Later versions have a larger crimp to grab the PCB with.

Peter

Darell

Flashaholic

Hey Peter -

I'm only seen the early 3.1's so far. The crimp they had was just barely a bend at the very edge. When I'm done with 'em, the edge is folded damn near perpendicular to the head (paralel with the PCB). I'm sure I'll end up with some new ones soon, and will be able to compare.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gransee:
Hmm. The first batch of roll crimps could of used more "meat" to the lip. Later versions have a larger crimp to grab the PCB with.

Peter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i noticed on my cpf that the epoxy had oozed out around the edge.
i wonder if it has done the same on some of the 3.1 units and rendered the roll crimp ineffective.
i scraped it away with an exacto and then crimped it.
seems to have done the trick.
smile.gif

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Unforgiven:
My 3.1 LE is also doing this. I tried different batteries and cleaned the contacts but no change. It is also very dim and blue. I have pulled the foam off the head, and it does indeed appear to be a 3.1
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The home made crimp appeared to fix the intermittent not working problem....all is well
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Oh yeah...seems to have worked on mine too. Odd, that a little thing like that would make it work
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

mmm. thanks everybody, now after reading all these roll crimp success posts and descriptions, I'm ready for surgery...

Darell

Flashaholic

Let me know if you need any pointers Ted. It's worked for me every time, and is relatively simple and painless.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Cue Kyra:

UT-OH!!

I was headed off to bed and then Mr.Arc acted up again so I brought my computer out of standby to post, ya know keeping CPF informed and all...

Yup, it improved A LOT when I did the roll crimp but I guess it needs some more work, I'll use a bigger screw driver this time
wink.gif
oh well, I have faith in the little bugger, so no worries but
shocked.gif
did I just use a derogative word to desceibe my Arc? Well, it will never happen again, and please don't quote this as I will likely edit that out tomorrow...

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Saaby:
Cue Kyra:

UT-OH!!

I was headed off to bed and then Mr.Arc acted up again so I brought my computer out of standby to post, ya know keeping CPF informed and all...

Yup, it improved A LOT when I did the roll crimp but I guess it needs some more work, I'll use a bigger screw driver this time
wink.gif
oh well, I have faith in the little bugger, so no worries but
shocked.gif
did I just use a derogative word to desceibe my Arc? Well, it will never happen again, and please don't quote this as I will likely edit that out tomorrow...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">After I used a screwdriver I used the beveled edge of a small socket, 1/4 drive..... made a nice tight crimp.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Ok I think V3 roll crimp worked. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts