Are ya going to buy a LRI Proton or a Fenix L1T/L2T?

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
Perfectionist said:
So basically you are saying the Proton is gonna be "out of date " just a few months after release !! :( ..... Are LRI planning on using the new 150 Lum Nichias as soon as they come out ??

I can't give you any definitive answer there, but LRI has always been very quick to adopt Nichia's newer, brighter LEDs as soon as they become available.

Perfectionist said:
I'm still not totally clear with regards to throw ..... I know what it means, but can't get my head round why an LED which is very bright doesn't also throw well ??

If you are comparing a single luxeon to a small array of 5mm LEDs to give the same total lumen ouput, the luxeon is much easier to focus into a tight beam to illuminate an object at a greater distance using a simple collimating lens. A lens must be centered on the axis of the light source to get the proper focusing effect. Focusing the array of 5mm LEDs in the same manner would require a very complex lens designed to focus the light from each specific point in the array. This is not really feasible (read: cost effective) in production so that's why, with a multi-LED light you are generally stuck with the focus provided by the LEDs. It's much easier and cheaper to select LEDs to match the desired focus than to attempt some sort of complicated lens.

Last edited:

Tesla

Enlightened
No and no, respectively. I prefer the 1 x 123 format for a small EDC. I feel the Fenix is overpriced, although the dual level feature interests me and I might consider one if it were priced more appropriately--say the $25 range. FWIW, I prefer the reverse-click switch, having had other switches activated by items in my briefcase before. I prefer to have the light redi to use (hence, no LOTC's, thank you) without having to worry about the batteries being accidentally drained. I don't use momentary features very often, so they're not important to me. I realize everyone has a different take on what they prefer. Everyone has to decide for himself what's important.

Raven

Enlightened
powernoodle said:
The more dependent we make them on the inflow of capital from the western world, the less likely they are to nuke us someday. And in the interim, they'll be taking one more step toward capitalism without knowing it.

That's a huge stretch.

I do know that the US is running up a huge trade deficit with China, and I fail to see how that is good for us.

In the mean time, we're helping to prop up their economy and by default their military, as well.

Not to mention their new found thirst for oil, which puts them into direct competition with us.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
I believe the draw of the momentary feature for many people is to have an easy way to lock out the switch so that there is no way it will be accidentally turned on (by items in your briefcase, or in any other circumstance). Finding the balance between making any type of switch convenient and easy to use, while still being suitably resistant to being turned on accidentally is always a problem. Even reverse-click switches are vulnerable. The momentary feature is just another way to address the problem in an ongoing evolution for the perfect flashlight. Just like many of the other solutions, some will like it and some won't.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
PhotonLight said:
I can't give you any definitive answer there, but LRI has always been very quick to adopt Nichia's newer, brighter LEDs as soon as they become available.

Guess I'll have to do a CPF and buy both !! :D

Thanks for the explanation above :)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan, is the Proton going to have a user selectable turn-on level as opposed to either max or min settings like the Freedom?

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Not to get too political, but if they weren't made in China I'd be all over it. Just my 2 cents worth....

KDOG3 - The Shadow agrees. Looks like a great light, but I also choose to avoid it (and Fenix) for the same reason. Everything seems to be made in China these days, but when I have a choice, I'll buy American.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proton NO EDIT: Wait for reviews
Do not like angry blue of overdriven Nichias.
Prefer simple ON-OFF to multimode switches.
EDIT: How easy to turn on switch ACCIDENTALLY?
from http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118092
ViReN said:
Single Click to Turn ON with White LED's on Full Power, Single Click to Turn OFF the light.
It's Brighter than my McKinley by a good margin... and NO, it is NOT that Blue,

Fenix L1T Wait for reviews.
What is the runtime in Hi or Lo modes?
How easy to switch/ACCIDENTALLY SWITCH between Hi and Lo modes?
How good is the current regulation? Don't expect a problem after seeing the L2P head on L1P body charts. On Hi 21 REAL lumens steady is preferable to 24 lumens dropping to 10 over the the life of an alkaline battery.
What is the REAL lumen output in Lo mode? I'd prefer Lo mode to match my TM-310H in brightness.
EDIT: from http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1406769
Lite-On said:
The closest I can find to compare on low would be the River Rock 2 AAA.
Probably about the same brightness but Fenix has much, much better beam.
It does seem very bright for a low setting.

Fenix L2T NO.
If it is not pocketable, I'd go for a SL 4AAA propoly lux.

I can afford to wait. Just got my L1P.

Last edited:

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
KDOG3 said:
Not to get too political, but if they weren't made in China I'd be all over it. Just my 2 cents worth....
No doubt he heard about the trade deficit that is causing additional tensions between the US and China and is just doing his part to help reduce them. Or maybe it's the way China deals with countries like Iran, giving them political support in exchange for low oil costs. Hmm... come to think of it there are a lot of reasons to not want to have anything to do with China. Although, I think a true flashaholic wouldn't care about anything but another flashlight.

PhotonLight

Newly Enlightened
geepondy said:
Bryan, is the Proton going to have a user selectable turn-on level as opposed to either max or min settings like the Freedom?

I don't believe so. While it may be quite possible there are some features buried in the UI waiting to be "discovered", I don't believe there is any way to set the Proton to turn on at a specific level other than high (for white) or low (for red).

LEDninja said:
Proton NO
Do not like angry blue of overdriven Nichias.
Prefer simple ON-OFF to multimode switches.

For what it's worth, the beam of the Proton appears to me to be quite "white". I realize "angry blue" is a bit subjective, but I haven't seen what I would describe as "angry blue" from Photon lights using the Nichia bulbs for quite some time. The beam from the Proton also seems to have quite decent throw as well, considering the limitation of 5mm LEDs discussed above. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Proton stacks up against some of the other lights out there as soon as the review samples start arriving.

As for preferring a simple on-off function, the Proton does that just fine. Of course, in a sense you're still paying for all those functions though even if you don't ever use them since all-else being equal, a light with just on-off and none of the other functions would likely be cheaper.

Mgz

Newly Enlightened
MrTodds said:
Luxeon has finally shipped K2 emitters so I am going to wait for lights based on these new LEDs before buying a new LED flashlight.

quote for truth!

most of CPF has been already using 1W/3W lux at least 2 years now, time to welcome the new lux into the home ^^

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always tempted by new 1xAA flashlights. The Proton and L1T have features I like and I'm eagerly waiting for the reviews and holding off the urge to make an impulse buy. I know our friend Doug at Flashlightreviews.com will be getting a Proton for review courtesy of LRI. I hope an L1T will also find its way to him.

For practical purposes, it's hard to top the L1P with Ripoffs holster I currently have.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm suprised how many people complain about the beam pattern of the 6 5mm's... for me i've been using a F04 on my HDS for quite sometime now... I find a large flood more useable and easier on the eyes than a reflector for the most part... The more I USE my lights... the more i find flood > throw for most cases...

also... the only time I really find throw to be all that useful is when I'm camping or doing outdoor activites at night... and for that a Streamlight ProPoly 4xAA Lux is really all i need :p

i'll just be so happy to be able to reach for a light from my night stand that will be able to blink in red... and or when I pick it up I can go straight to red mode by holding the switch down... mult. color LED's are the future for me...

I'm sure it'll be my new EDC (hopefully)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently both since I've been playing with my L1T for a few days now and like the Proton. The Proton is on a very short list of lights I am considering, though I already have a lot of 1xAA lights already (all the Fenix, Jet, Inova, CMG, Dorcy even), so I may have to sell something and/or wait to get one second hand. In like a year when someone finally decides to let one go.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing about this idea is the simple fact that 1st generation K2 emitters are not as good as 3rd or so generation LUX III emitters. This will be true for some time as Lumileds struggles with production of the K2 emitter.
LUX III's are very good emitters especially when driven at or just below the maximum spec.

These lights are all so cheap and chinese. I say Buy them all ! Or save your dough up and buy one Mcgizmo light.

Yaesumofo

MrTodds said:
Luxeon has finally shipped K2 emitters so I am going to wait for lights based on these new LEDs before buying a new LED flashlight.

planex

Newly Enlightened
Proton. Already have an L1P. The Proton is way more versatile than the L1T. Plus if something goes wrong with the light, there is a usa address you can send it to for warranty work.

carrot

Flashaholic
Gotta have the Proton. As people before me have said, it's more versatile, and for my uses, throw isn't all that important. I think LRI really hit a home run with the Proton, despite all the naysayers. The Proton proves that 5mms are going to be around for a lot longer in our lights.

Two things I want to know-- if there's any tint shifting of the LEDs during the lifetime of the light, is this covered under the normal "lifetime guarantee" of LRI? And secondly, I'd like beamshots comparing it to the Surefire L4 and Inova X5, just out of curiosity.

Latest posts