Armytek Dobermann (XP-L HI) review, anyone? Where are reviews on Armytek lights?

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
Kind of bummed lol. Wish I had my stash of 18650s ready now at this moment. Now my new light is just sitting on my dresser [emoji32] lol

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I have just put a battery in the freezer. I will see what is gonna happend.

After 2 hours in the freezer, burst on high ( head tightened) for about a second. The other modes are working well.

Battery voltage 4.16v. Cannot check the capacity though, evidently.

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
After 2 hours in the freezer, burst on high ( head tightened) for about a second. The other modes are working well.

So the light could not stay on high?

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
Guess these XP-L LEDs need a lot of power to drive them all the way.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess these XP-L LEDs need a lot of power to drive them all the way.

Comparable to XM-L2s.
Other than the battery, the AT circuitry is the contributing factor or culprit.

davyro

Enlightened
I did a little research on 18650's & I found that Panasonic/Sanyo have something like over 100 patents in battery tech & a lot of them are to do with Li-Ion's.I also found that nearly all of the companies that don't produce their own batteries
by them in bulk from Panasonic/Sanyo & put a wrap on them with their own name & logo.So i went straight for the Panasonic cells & they're the best performing batteries I own.In fact I'm ordering another couple tomorrow.

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
I did a little research on 18650's & I found that Panasonic/Sanyo have something like over 100 patents in battery tech & a lot of them are to do with Li-Ion's.I also found that nearly all of the companies that don't produce their own batteries
by them in bulk from Panasonic/Sanyo & put a wrap on them with their own name & logo.So i went straight for the Panasonic cells & they're the best performing batteries I own.In fact I'm ordering another couple tomorrow.

Link please [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

These batteries(2) are working the same 12 hours later...short burst on high. A chance I tried crap ones. I will try a capacity test. Li-ion doesn't like freezing....?

Last edited:

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
Funny thing.... Now the light is staying on HI with no problem at all. The old JetBeam battery is about at 50 percent and it seems to be stable now.

D6859

Enlightened
These batteries(2) are working the same 12 hours later...short burst on high. A chance I tried crap ones. I will try a capacity test. Li-ion doesn't like freezing....?

Did you let them warm up the 12 hours or were they in the freezer? The working temperature of my cells is listed to reach down to -20 °C. Maybe the battery chemistry simply feezes below that.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Did you let them warm up the 12 hours or were they in the freezer? The working temperature of my cells is listed to reach down to -20 °C. Maybe the battery chemistry simply feezes below that.

I let them warm up 12 hours. The low modes are working great, just the high mode that cannot keep it high. Just a burst...for about an half of a second. Interesting test.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Nothing to do with these cells. After a refresh C>D>C the capacity is still at 1800mah, but same problem. A chance that I did not do it with a brand new set. Something happened inside the cell...

D6859

Enlightened
I let them warm up 12 hours. The low modes are working great, just the high mode that cannot keep it high. Just a burst...for about an half of a second. Interesting test.

Mine started working again normally when I recharged the battery. I had been using in it in really cold so the voltage was below 3.8 V. Are you sure it's not the protection circuit? What happens if you recharge the batteries?

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Mine started working again normally when I recharged the battery. I had been using in it in really cold so the voltage was below 3.8 V. Are you sure it's not the protection circuit? What happens if you recharge the batteries?

That's what I did C>D>C....charge>discharge>charge.

D6859

Enlightened
Nothing to do with these cells. After a refresh C>D>C the capacity is still at 1800mah, but same problem. A chance that I did not do it with a brand new set. Something happened inside the cell...

It seems we were typing at the same time. Wow, I really hope freezing doesn't break batteries. I've been using mine in cold temps.

Latest posts