Astrolux A01 different versions?

Redemption

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Banggood order of 2 A01. I had one in Blue and one Copper, shipped Sept 22nd. My order was originally made at the beginning of Sept but was backordered for around 10-14 days. I think it was backordered to get me one of the "new" A01s.

The Copper A01 is made by Manker and has the Manker name on the PCB. The Blue A01 is the "new driver" with a much cooler temperature and the much hated mode memory. This is my first flashlight with this type of brutal mode memory, can anyone tell me if this is normal that "mode memory" means that the next time you turn on the light it advances to the next mode? Every other mode memory flashlight I have is a clicky so it turns on at the previously used mode. The reason why this is important is that if I am using the light on Medium, every time I turn it on I might have to twist it many times to get back to Medium. Very frustrating and especially annoying with the hidden (and unecessary in this size light) strobe mode.

Has anyone noticed whether the "new" non Manker A01 has sharper corners on the tail end where the lanyard hole is? My Copper A01 has smoothened corners there, but the blue A01 is noticeable sharper.

On another note, my Copper A01 had a beautiful tint but the light is dead after 1 day. I didn't drop it, but I did place it a few times on a granite counter. Is this the type of reliability and quality I can expect from Manker? I was going to buy other Manker lights but this turns me off it.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Copper CPFItalia version (shipped 17/10) and it is also with the better Maker driver, no PWM detectable, but the color temperature is over 4500K so I presume it's 5000K.
My light doesn't really have mode memory, but is does take a good few (>5) seconds before it resets the mode cycle, so that's quite annoying.
It is a heavy little bugger though. With an eneloop it's heavier than my Zebralight sc52w with 14500):eek:oo:

Last edited:

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone noticed whether the "new" non Manker A01 has sharper corners on the tail end where the lanyard hole is? My Copper A01 has smoothened corners there, but the blue A01 is noticeable sharper.

for me, not. all six A01 (two of them non-Manker) have these sharp edges. But for putting in a keyring these holes are ok. Nevertheless I will grind one of my A01 flat on the rear end to make it tail-standable. The low of this light is really useful for night illumination.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got pretty lucky; I just tested a new Copper A01, it has a beautiful beam that is more rosy than my other ones, creates super great colors like the saturation is way up. Side by side with one of my other ones a few color pallets look almost the same, but on others worlds apart yet in a subtle way. Most easy too see with reds and and deep purples. Definitely ones of the best I've seen out of an AAA light, maybe the best AAA Nichia I have for color, but I'd have to check a lot to confirm that. The other nice thing (besides that it works perfectly), is the driver is made by Manker. The copper version definitely has the the best feeling in the hand compared to the Aluminum, but it's not as good value.

Last edited:

GODOFWAR

Banned
I found it! After more than 2 months of searching!
548eb6accd55eda7911646713f5b0b9d.jpg
0899ed8fdca52e6643ff8b67f2acada6.jpg
7661515822c3991e4c4031d515d0ecfb.png

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been testing the newer Astrolux A01:
If I get the light onto medium and then turn it off, 2 hours later I turn it on and it I get high mode.
If I get the light onto medium and then turn it off, 3 hours later I turn it on and it I get low mode.
Somewhere between 2 and 3 hours this light resets.
I use the light each morning and it comes on in low mode as I want, that's good I suppose. But if I turn it off then I'll get medium mode unless I wait for more than 2-3 hours.

I bought a Manker E01 for $15.95 from Manker's site.
If I get the light onto medium and then turn it off, 5 seconds later I turn it on and it I get high mode.
If I get the light onto medium and then turn it off, 11 seconds later I turn it on and it I get low mode.
Manker says it resets after being off for 10 seconds, happily this information is correct.

If you don't want the new (completely rubbish) UI then I'd recommend buying the Manker E01 for a few more dollars and forget about the Astrolux.

markr6

Flashaholic
I bought a Manker E01 back in March 2016. I just ordered two Astrolux A01's, so it will be interesting to see the differences. It would be nice if they were the same though. At $7.99 each, I'm setting the bar low.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad I bought a few A01's back in the first group-buy. Can't remember the price, but I think it was less than $10. Great 4000K tint, great mode selection, decently bright for such a small light. I think it's my most-used light, simply because I always carry it due to the small size.

I wouldn't buy one now, with the next-mode-memory issue going on, and I think they may have changed emitters.

markr6

Flashaholic
I wouldn't buy one now, with the next-mode-memory issue going on

That is the single most stupidest thing ever in a UI. You have no idea what mode it's turning on at. At least I don't...I forget my age sometimes! You go to use it at night and you'll either be blinded or relieved.

Unless it's timed and resets after x seconds like some??

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the single most stupidest thing ever in a UI. You have no idea what mode it's turning on at. At least I don't...I forget my age sometimes! You go to use it at night and you'll either be blinded or relieved.

Unless it's timed and resets after x seconds like some??

No, from what I understand, the "new" version always used next-mode. The original version resets after about 5 seconds, and then will start again from moonlight. That's the way all twisties should work.

markr6

Flashaholic
yup, which is why I was so surprised that you bought new ones, right after reading

post 46

For $7 a piece I picked up two just to have in places I rarely need a light, but may not have one on me.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a copper A01 and never could get it to work right. Sold it on eBay with a disclaimer. Guy that got it was just a copper junky like me and has it still setting on a shelf.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was about to pull the trigger on a good price on these on BG right now, based on old reviews of 4K 219B and UI that starts on moon mode. Then I read about the "next mode memory", which is the worst of all worlds, and stopped.

But, if you have one, or want one and don't mind a quick mod, I found this:

https://m.imgur.com/a/pmSAI

A little iffy on getting the right amount of graphite on the capacitor. Someone else recommended using a 100k Ohm resistor across the cap. for a 5 second reset, which is much more scientific, and what the original Manker-made driver had. Personally, I like the ~1 second reset better than 5 seconds, as it makes it practical to get from low to moon by just doing a slow off-on cycle.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Dang! I wish I'd researched more and found this thread prior to ordering 7 of these puppies for gifts. Banggood has to have known for the last 3 years that the light does not work as described in the manual (10 seconds to start over in moonlight), yet they haven't done a thing about it! I got Banged good and hard.

Last edited: