Automobile emergency kit requirements requested

txmatt

Enlightened
Saildude, what is you maintenance/recharge regime on those Eneloops?

I've had a walkie talkie kept in the car with Eneloops be completely dead when I went to use it, even with no use. I don't think it spent more than 4-6 months without charging, which should be well within the Eneloop self-discharge horizon. I'm guessing the temperature swings, or more specifically time spent at high temperatures here in Texas, sped up the self-discharge. As such, I now use lithium AA's only in any stored-in-car device that I might need to rely on.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
I put the lights in the car in December so this is at the start. My thoughts are to run a form cycle every 6 months oh a MaHa C800S or C9000.

I am in Seattle so the temperatures so far have been mild. I had not thought about early discharge because of environment. Maybe I will hang a couple of cells in the air from the furnace register and see what happens.

Does the radio use maintenance current? A marine stereo I have uses a small amount of current to keep the station settings and clock running - not a problem if the battery is charged every few days like an automobile is but a problem if the radio is left turned off but with power to it.

Maybe SilverFox has done environmental testing of the Eneloops - of post the temperature question in Batteries etc.

mb

txmatt

Enlightened
I don't recall having issues with the same radio in the house becoming discharged when not used.

These obersvations are by no means scientific or controlled and I don't even know for sure how long it was in the car. It's just that you might want to check the state of charge periodically to make sure they hold a charge as long as you'd like. Nothing worse than having dead batteries when you need to use something.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about something like the 1W ROV Sportsman Extreme? Its not the most impressive light out there, but advertised 5hrs runtime on 2AA powering a LUX1 (IIRC) and it has always struck me as a stout light. I believe its right at $20 most places. Or how about a 2 or 3 AA minimag led? I don't know pricing on those off the top of my head though.

cgiammarco

Newly Enlightened
What about those rayovac 3aa headlamps that costco has for around $15 and you can buy some of those lithium aa's for them? they even have a little flashing red led on the battery box on the back of your head and they include 3 aa alkalines in the package... I know an average person wouldn't know what to do with a headlamp, but if they're smart enough to change a tire themselves i am sure they can figure out how to use a headlamp effectively...

Latest posts