AW Protected 2600 mAh 18650's official U.S. release date is Monday, May 25 !!!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to my calipers, the ID of the black, as well as the grey, L2 18650 tube is 18.90mm.

I have used AW 17670 cells in the L2 18650 without any problems with the length.

Hi, I was curious - how do you treat the diameter at the protection strip vs the other parts of the cell ? At least the cells I have measured, the difference is substantial, esp. if you are designing a flashlight.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I was curious - how do you treat the diameter at the protection strip vs the other parts of the cell ? At least the cells I have measured, the difference is substantial, esp. if you are designing a flashlight.
I guess you'd just need to take protected cells into consideration when coming up with the body tube design and dimensions.

My protected AW 18650s and protected Trustfire 18650s (DX sku 20392) are 18.44mm at the widest part and I can still get cell rattle when I shake the light side-to-side with the L2 bodies.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting. When someone gets a few, can they post OD measurements if possible? I am assuming the OD will be exactly the same as the 2200 18650's, but you never know...

OK, just got mine........no measurements, just practical observations.......I have a Ultrafire C1 which is my tightest body light, the button top AW 18650's just fit snugly, some of them I have to shake out, these still have the sticker on them............now, the new 2600mAh cells are slightly tighter to push in, I took the sticker of the fattest cell I bought and now it fits the same as the older one with the sticker on....so no problem with the width.....The length is noticed only when three are in line, so over the length of three cells the difference between these and the older ones is 2.0 mm longer.....I now have mine in a 3x 18650 Solarforce and my 3x 18650 WE Rattlesnake (with the stickers on)

Unless you have a very tight body that just fits the older cell without a sticker, or you have a very short head and/or tail spring in your 3x 18650 light.........then you should have no problem at all with these new AW 2600 mAh cells.

Last edited: