Basic Long Lasting Light

John_Swisher

Newly Enlightened
Would like at least a 18650, but preferably a 21700 powered light. Just basic on-off push button with one level 500-600lm in a durable body material. Pretty new to the flashlight eco system, so be gentle. Thanks for your time. Less than $100 if possible, but if I can find what I want who knows!

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon my ignorance, so you purchase separate head, body, and tail sections and put it together?
Kinda. MDX is the head, M61 the drop-in (light engine) & MD21700 the body w. tailcap. You will get a assembled flashlight if you order it that way.
You can simply send a message with a custom order through their website & theyll take care of it. Without a discount this combo is gonna be about $180. Its above your budget but I second that you wont be disappointed. If you dont want high/low you can leave the switch and save $25, but its very useful to have.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda. MDX is the head, M61 the drop-in (light engine) & MD21700 the body w. tailcap. You will get a assembled flashlight if you order it that way.
You can simply send a message with a custom order through their website & theyll take care of it. Without a discount this combo is gonna be about $180. Its above your budget but I second that you wont be disappointed. If you dont want high/low you can leave the switch and save $25, but its very useful to have.

Just to provide an alternate perspective / suggestion, I think you might find the Streamlight ProTac 2L-X could meet your needs / stated requirements nicely. One of the 3 simple, selectable, non-volatile (semi-permanent) settings is single output (which mine is currently set to). It uses 1x18650, durable to a FL-1 Standard 2-meter impact rating, does most everything I need, and I think I paid $57USD from a quality U.S. distributor. I'd buy it again if I lost it tomorrow.

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened

Convoy S2+ great light at a good price. Mode 12 is high only OR pick another mode to give you more levels & just let the memory feature keep you at the level you use most. The UI is much simpler to use than it sounds. The S2+ is a 18650 light but they have the S21a 21700 light with the same UI

Last edited:

Showngo

Newly Enlightened
Wurkkos TS21 is a pretty solid light, you would need to toss it in a different mode to meet your on/off requirements but its got a long run time, and is pretty well made. And inexpensive. But I'll add that Malkoff makes really great lights, so if you can splurge, you should splurge there.

RamBull

Newly Enlightened
The three lights I would recommend and your set are:

1) Sofirn BLF LT1 Lantern - the best lantern for $75

2) Zebralight H600Fd IV headlamp - one the best headlamps for $89

3a) Acebeam L35 - durable and build like a tank that uses 21700. Can be had for $100 when on sale.

3b) D4Sv2 tint ramping with channel 1 W1 and channel 2 LH351D 2700/5000k mix - throw and flood that uses 26650 battery for probably $86

lunas

Enlightened
18650 too easy I have a solar force l2p body I put a xhp35 single mode drop in into 1600 lumen 1 18650
what I would grab is something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HVDFNTQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

it has provisions for charging directly comes with battery keep it around the 600-800 lumen level it will have hours of run time. and when you want it 2500 lumens

Last edited:

3oni

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend a Convoy S2+ with the 7135x3 driver. You can set that to mode 12, which is 100% brightness only (and have other options available down the road, in case you decide you want them), and that driver configuration should give you roughly your desired lumen level without heating up too quickly. I'd go with the 4000K emitter for its 95 CRI -- and in fact I just did, because I ordered one in this exact configuration this past weekend. :)

The good news is that this will run you $14; the bad news is the shipping from China isn't going to be speedy. I have several Convoy lights and they've all been well worth the wait, though.

lunas

Enlightened
I'd recommend a Convoy S2+ with the 7135x3 driver. You can set that to mode 12, which is 100% brightness only (and have other options available down the road, in case you decide you want them), and that driver configuration should give you roughly your desired lumen level without heating up too quickly. I'd go with the 4000K emitter for its 95 CRI -- and in fact I just did, because I ordered one in this exact configuration this past weekend. :)

The good news is that this will run you $14; the bad news is the shipping from China isn't going to be speedy. I have several Convoy lights and they've all been well worth the wait, though.
I have a self built convoy S2 I would advise not getting one of these as a first light they can be a bit temperamental and mine gets hot quick I would definitely recommend a good name brand light.

Especially if you want something reliable that you can EDC.

honestly i have a thorfire TG06S i edc i picked it because i can use a AA battery or a 14500 that way if i am away and either cant charge or need to use disposable i can. I am having some issues finding good 14500 batteries... so that might be a factor.
I also have a thorfire C8S which is a clone of a convoy c8 body lots of makers copied it and it is basically just a 1 cell 18650 with a wide deep head for throw fairly common design.
this one would make a good edc light too i put a mp-g2 led in mine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034GTCTC/?tag=cpf0b6-20 it uses a AAA battery.

but if I was starting from 0 and wanted a good reliable one i would start with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HVDFNTQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Streamlight Polytac X. Comes with 18650 battery. Can be programmed for single mode 600 lumens. Bought one for a family member to use when they take the dog out and they love it. It's a very nice light. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079D6N6JX/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I thought of mentioning that one too - an excellent choice. I don't have one, but plan to. Note the 3-(three!) meter impact rating too. That's not easy to get in any light (FL-1 compliant), let alone with glass lens. Obviously meets the 'durable body material' mentioned by the OP as well. They're pretty well recommended. Also "assembled in the U.S.A.", if that matters too you.

John_Swisher

Newly Enlightened
Well thank you to everyone who replied. I have ordered a Nitecore MH-10 v2 and a Fenix PD36 TAC to test the waters. I'll use them for awhile and go from there. Again, thanks everyone for your input.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thank you to everyone who replied. I have ordered a Nitecore MH-10 v2 and a Fenix PD36 TAC to test the waters. I'll use them for awhile and go from there. Again, thanks everyone for your input.

You should do OK. I've heard good comments by users of the 36 (I also like my orig. 35 TAC), and you got the 21700 you wanted. I'm just not ready for that cell format yet, but would be looking hard at the 36 if I was!

It's beside the point now, but for others perhaps interested I was also going to point out the run time specs listed for the SL 18650 models are tested with their 2600 mAh cell, and are obviously longer with a higher capacity cell. I use some Fenix 3500s in some of mine.

Have fun checking 'em out!