Batteries stuck in Maglite 5D

Z

z_ChrisPB1980

Hi all,

I have a maglite 5D. The problem is that I can't get the last 2 batteries out, they are stuck somehow. Can anybody help me get them out?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had luck with penetrating oil standing for days before pounding the light on a board. Good luck! You have a difficult, but doable job ahead of you.

CKOD

Enlightened
Loosen the screw that holds the switch in(5/64 or 2mm hex, or T8 torx that needs a skinny shaft if it has one of the new screws), click the switch in, and use a piece of pipe which fits over the bulb tower to push the whole thing out the bottom from the top.
Clean the tube out with vinegar to neutralise the electrolyte if the batteres leaked (presuming they did if they are alkaline D's that are now stuck) and then rinse well before reassembling. Make sure you mind the lip that the switch assembly/bulb tower butt up against. (I.E. 1.25" PVC is too big, and you'll just be pounding on the lip!)

swampgator

Enlightened
Make sure you mind the lip that the switch assembly/bulb tower butt up against. (I.E. 1.25" PVC is too big, and you'll just be pounding on the lip!)

The "lip" is a spring clip. If the switch assy can't go out the bottom (ie cell next to switch is stuck) you can pop the spring clip out and work the switch out through the head side of the barrel.

If the batteries leaked enough to cause corrosion, take an automotive rake hone and run it up and down the tube a couple of times.

Finally cut a piece of 1" PVC long enough to fit in the tube. Stuff it with "C" cells til full. Change bulb to handle increase in voltage, or leave as is for minor overdrive. Promise to check akalines every couple weeks for leakage.

Dr.Viper

Newly Enlightened
Drilling like someone mentioned might be risky. Batteries tend to explode i think....

Have you tried pouring in oil (preferably coconut oil) and keeping it for sometime..? Works often as it helps dilute corrode a bit. We use coconut oil on rust all the time here... Hope that works out fine...

swampgator

Enlightened
Drilling like someone mentioned might be risky. Batteries tend to explode i think....

Have you tried pouring in oil (preferably coconut oil) and keeping it for sometime..? Works often as it helps dilute corrode a bit. We use coconut oil on rust all the time here... Hope that works out fine...

Drilling is quite safe.

One method I've used in the past that worked was to drill completely through the cell then using force to collapse the body of the cell around the cavity created by the drill bit.