Beam terminology

Wil

Newly Enlightened
From reading this forum I've picked up a lot of terminoligy, some of it I'm not too sure about... I just want to get something straight, can you guys help me with this?

Flood: Wide beam with the light spread evenly throughout that area. Lights up a large area, doesn't travel very far.
Spot: Narrow beam with light concentrated in one small general area. Lights up a small area, travels very far.
Spill: A combination of the above two. (Or is it just light unintentionally escaping the intended illumination area?)
Focus: Not a beam characteristic. Just the ability to switch between Flood or Spot and anywhere in between.

I hope I have this right, please correct me if I'm wrong.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 cents,
Ur definition of spill is wrong
Spill means the light which is away from the hotspot, i.e. non focused part of output

Spot should be named "hotspot" with your definition

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

See here Terminology
Norm

Hi Norm,

I still miss a clear written explanation about what does mean BEAM. Earlier I thought hotspot and spill together = beam. Then I understood "beam" does mean hotspot. But what is the name for everything? Translated from my language I would say LIGHT PICTURE/IMAGE. Can't recall anyone used that expression here, except from me. What would you call the entire light amount coming out from a flashlight? I think such a word should be included in the terminology.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Does this help? Taken as a whole this is a beam with the component parts labelled.

scaled.php

Norm

Last edited:

wrf

Newly Enlightened
That picture is worth a thousand words -- very nice indeed!
Not from one of my lights though. All my recent lights contain component "donut hole".

Wil

Newly Enlightened
Does this help? Taken as a whole this is a beam with the component parts labelled.

scaled.php

Norm
Yes it does, definitely! Thanks for that, it's a really nice and simple diagram.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still "fascinated" that there does not seem to exist a word for describing the entire part of the light coming out from the flashlight...
Hotspot, corona and spill are expressions I am familiar with. But if you want to express all of these in one or two words?
Light picture, light image, light - what??? :sssh:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
To clearly and accurately define a beam's characteristics, you really need something more than these subjective terms. A much better way would be to provide the info like this:

khatod-1.jpg