Best Batteries for Car/camping flashlights?

sionnach

Newly Enlightened
Hi -
I'm putting 5 or 6 flashlights in the truck/camping equipment and wanted to get your take on what is the best battery type to use.

My usage falls into three categories.
All lights have the ability to be either 18650 or cr123(r) so have a choice of rechargeable or primaries.

Moderate usage = ~1 use per week, ~15 - 30 min at a time or so.
Low usage = ~1 per month, ~15 - 30 min or so
Rare usage = almost never used.

I plan on having a variety of backup batteries stored in the gear.

Can I go all rechargeables in this or do I need to go primaries or acombination of both?

Thanks for the advice.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
What temperature range do you experience? In my locale, we experience -35 Celsius so I use lithium primaries for the emergency flashlights in the car.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For lights that will be stored for more than a few months at a time (3+ months or so), use the primaries, as they hold the charge better over a long time period.

For the ones you'll use frequently, the rechargeables are good...IIRC, you are in Washington state, so the weather extremes might not be too hard on the cells, as a hot AZ sun, or cold MN winter might be, etc.

If storing primaries that fit the lights anyway, you should be covered.

A cotton picker solar charging station/portable chargers, etc...also give some flexibility to RE-charge out in the field/if the power goes out, etc.

sionnach

Newly Enlightened
What temperature range do you experience? In my locale, we experience -35 Celsius so I use lithium primaries for the emergency flashlights in the car.

We are normally around 50F with lowest in the year at 19F and highest at 90F (extremes and usually only 1 or 2 days a year).

@Teej -
Yep Seattle, not very hot at all. I'll plan on primaries for the emergency stuff and rechargables for everything else. (seems like a good way to maximize costs).

What is the deal with the Cotton Pickers charger? any specifics?

Thanks!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
We are normally around 50F with lowest in the year at 19F and highest at 90F (extremes and usually only 1 or 2 days a year).

@Teej -
Yep Seattle, not very hot at all. I'll plan on primaries for the emergency stuff and rechargables for everything else. (seems like a good way to maximize costs).

What is the deal with the Cotton Pickers charger? any specifics?

Thanks!

He makes them and sells them on CPFM next door. :D

Very reasonably priced if you compare to Bruntons, and other similar set-ups, and more powerful/adaptable.

Folded up, its the size of a notebook, opened, you can recharge a bunch of 26650 or 18650, etc. (Any cells you have chargers for, and he also INCLUDES chargers, you just tell him what you need to charge) I got mine with battery boxes, so the solar panels charge a set of 18650s (8) which can THEN be used after dark to power/charge OTHER stuff, in addition to whatever you are recharging during sunlit hours.

He includes so many adapters and ports and USB, yada yada yada I don't even remember anymore...a LOT.

:D