Best light for Real Estate Broker?

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the L4. Not to mention it is probably the classiest light you can get. Just like Surefire's Executive Series.

Vee3

Enlightened
Real Estate Broker eh?

I'd get one that would let you clearly SEE that your commisions are WAY TOO HIGH (lol)! I would have to pay you ~40K to sell my house here in Southern CA.

Howsabout a Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon 4AA or 3C? Loooooooong run time, non-threatening yellow case. More than enough light to show the biggest house. Cheap too....

Last edited:

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Incandescent light is best for what you want. It will give you truer colors, and is easier on the eyes. LED flashlights tend to make things look flat and washed out.

I'd recommend the Surefire 9P, P91 lamp assembly, and F24 or FM34 beam shaper. Stick with the SF123A batteries too. Carry spare batteries with you, in the SC1 spares carrier, along with the original P90 lamp assembly.

EDIT: Keep a cheap LED key chain light on you, for changing the Surefire 9P's batteries or lamp assemblies, in the dark.

oldgrandpajack

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend a Surefire E2e Satin Gray color finish. Small, pocketable, cheaper than the L4, and the satin gray while not a tough as the Hard anodized finish looks "less" tactical and very classy.

I'd also recommend Incandescent, LEDs can sometime skew colors.

rikvee

Enlightened
oldgrandpajack said:
Incandescent light is best for what you want. It will give you truer colors, and is easier on the eyes. LED flashlights tend to make things look flat and washed out.

I'd recommend the Surefire 9P, P91 lamp assembly, and F24 or FM34 beam shaper. Stick with the SF123A batteries too. Carry spare batteries with you, in the SC1 spares carrier, along with the original P90 lamp assembly.

EDIT: Keep a cheap LED key chain light on you, for changing the Surefire 9P's batteries or lamp assemblies, in the dark.

oldgrandpajack

Old Gramps is spot-on, you need a warm flood to make a room look inviting!

btw the 9V P91 globe can also run off two 4.2V Li-Ions, Pila 150S size.

Last edited:

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
A few thoughts...

For lighting up a room evenly, consider a beamspreader, to remove the hotspot in the beam, and brighten the edges. Want to look more 'executive', then the Surefire executive series is available in black. As for runtime, bring more batteries, or a spare light.

If you're going to be using it for hours per day, every working day, consider a rechargeable. I have a Surefire 8AX, it runs for 50 mins, puts out 110 lumens, you can get beamspreaders for it, and I have enough Ni-Cd batteries for around 4 hours light (and the chargers come with both mains AND 12 volt car plugs, so you can charge a battery on the move).

Good luck in your search for light !!

:touche:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other suggestion, if the ceilings are low enough bounce the light off the ceiling for a more even light and doesn't cast harsh shadows.

Actually was just thinking that one of those rechargeable spot lights that charge in the car would be nice. Go set it in the "main" room, bounced off the ceiling, then carry your svelte lights with you for the other rooms. You can get those lights for not a lot of coin IIRC. Of course you could spring for an HID and then you'd have a nice light for none work days too.

-LT

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
NotASolder said:
--Is inexpensive. (Real estate brokers are stingy :ironic: ).

There was a thread here (Yesterday?) titled 'Need vs Want'. I would say that you have a 'Need', unless you only show a few houses without power. Notice many recommendations for expensive lights. Inexpensive can be done, but quality and versatility sometimes are expensive.

Use experiance and do a cost/benefit analysis. If I were selling dark houses on a regular basis, I would carry two lights. An L4 with a two stage switch and an incan like an A2 or an E2e or one of the incans recommended by Old Grandpa Jack. The LED flood will work better sometimes, and the incan will give better color rendition and more throw for showing the yard at night and looking into dark corners of the ceiling etc.

Now I just recommended almost $300 worth of lights, a high outlay at first but affordable over the life of the lights and your employment. This is your job right? Use good tools! How long will you be selling houses? Five years? Ten years? Do a CBA. First, write the lights off on your taxes as a buisness expense. Then divide the price by use: $300 divided by Five years(60 mos)= $5 a month.

Geologist

Enlightened
If you are selling houses, then buy a light that will indeeed light up a room.

A Mag85 (modded Maglite 3d @ 800-1000 lumens)bouncing off the ceiling will light up just about any room, and can be had for ~130.00 with a few extra bulbs and is rechargable.

I second choice would be a HID, but they are not cheap.

Think about it - you really want to light up that room. Dark/shadowy rooms mean no sales....

Also an incasecent will be closer to the frequency of daylight than would a LED light.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a megaray! eh...no :p
get a pelican ha-III m6! then get a mcdonal...i mean a Mcmodule and put a pwning driver in!(hint something that got nice modes) ,dark,bright and with lots of option. why not :)

small too :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That is a veeerrrryyy interesting problem!

I just tried several of my lights. The only true room filler is my M*g85. It WAY overpowers the room lighting here in my 'office'.

My flood type lights are all multi 5mm LED lights. But non of them have a lot of punch.

I also just tried my G2 and I can clearly see it isn't what's called for in the case.

A very VERY interesting problem!!!!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry E2E in briefcase and Mag C 3x123 with sputtered reflector in car. For all the foregoing reasons.

I use MM w/Terralux for most preshowing visits (I want to know all I can about the property, including mold, bugs, odors, etc) before I take clients in. Works well -- bright enough for good insection and not too bright for checking under counters, etc. Easy in the pocket and lots of battery life. And is less "threatening" to the seller, if thay happen to be present, than something like a Mag 6D.

I don't show property at night or rain, etc.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Surprised that noone recommended a Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. You can get one for less than $30 with shipping from Fox Int'l. It will throw out some serious light to fill a room and won't break the bank like some of the more expensive choices being offered here.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL ProPoly Lux does not have the "wall-of-light" effect of the L4. And its overall output, being a Luxeon I, is way less than the Luxeon V of the L4. Remember, the OP wants a flood light. Actually, the L4 is THE light for his application, maybe except runtime. Investment in rechargeables (Pilas) might pay off.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PP Lux 4AA is a great light, unbeatable quality for the cost, but has a narrow beam, and overall output isn't huge. But it's probably better than anything you'd find retail.

The Nuwai TM-301X-5 has a much broader beam that better fits the indoor close range scenario, about double the output, much more compact, albeit at over double the cost of the PP Lux 4AA.

You can obviously get better output per dollar by going incandescent. A focusing incandescent light like the SL Scorpion or TL-3 might work, and aren't very expensive.

My personal vote would be the TM-301X-5, and if cost is no object the L4 or U2.

Geologist

Enlightened
I am a big LED fan, but the brightest SF LED is only 100 lumens. That is bright, but if you really want to LIGHT up a room of a house, then I would want something much more powerful to bounce off the ceiling and really provide 300-400 lumens at a minimum. You are not trying to navigate, you are trying to replace regular electrical lighting sources.

LEDs, even a WO bin has a narrow wavelength which will makes things appear "a bit" un-natural to a customer. A rechargable incadesent (my choice is the MAG 85, even though a bit larger) seems to fill the need a bit better.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the ideas about warm lighting for a kind of "mood" effect.

You could look at it as an opportunity to set the mood of the structure -- manipulate the light you provide to your advantage.

Maybe a bigger SureFire with a Beamshaper? Or a firefighter-type lantern with lots of output that you can set down somewhere? HID dive light?

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/23004/sesent/00
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/942/sesent/00
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/949/sesent/00

http://www.streamlight.com/litebox_specifications.htm

http://www.uwkinetics.com/D_LC100.htm

Scott

turbodog

Flashaholic
You're letting a couple hundred dollar light stand between you and the money you'd make on the sale of a house? The cost of this light is amortized over the rest of your career. This is not a per sale cost.

Get a light that you works well and have a CPF member strip and re-anodize it in a color that's more compatible with your profession.

LED's colors suck. I'm thinking of a pila powered 150 lumen light. Anodized in RED! Doesn't the SF 9p HOLA run off 2 pila cells?