Best rechargeable CR123 comparible

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
So, here is my debacle. I am looking for a 3 volt battery that is rechargeable, has an onboard port for charging and is as close to a CR123 as possible in dimensions and voltage. Is this an impossible task? I have lifeP03 batteries but I am not always near my charger. I found that the Fenix batteries have an onboard charging point but the voltage is higher and it doesnt work well with older LED bezels. Thanks ahead for any help I get.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
No unfortunately there is no chemistry that allows this. Even lifepo4 is almost a full volt higher than a cr123a. There are the 3v rcr123a, and they have the usb port, but they're bigger and won't fit in tighter lights. And these are 3v instead of 2.2-2.5v like a primary

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
No unfortunately there is no chemistry that allows this. Even lifepo4 is almost a full volt higher than a cr123a. There are the 3v rcr123a, and they have the usb port, but they're bigger and won't fit in tighter lights. And these are 3v instead of 2.2-2.5v like a primary
I have to disagree with you here. The second generation of Keeppower RCR123As is the same length as a primary. And they work in LED flashlights.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to disagree with you here. The second generation of Keeppower RCR123As is the same length as a primary. And they work in LED flashlights.
I have tried them in a couple of my older surefires, and they do not fit. Both a lx2 and an a2 aviator. Maybe the ones I tried were first gen. I sold them so I don't know.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even lifepo4 is almost a full volt higher than a cr123a.
Was this a typo man? Is that comparing a fully charged LFP (meaning fresh off a 3.6V charger) w/ a nearly dead CR123? If I knew that was true in normal use case, I wouldn't even be using them.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was this a typo man? Is that comparing a fully charged LFP (meaning fresh off a 3.6V charger) w/ a nearly dead CR123? If I knew that was true in normal use case, I wouldn't even be using them.
No. An lfp under load is 3.2-3.3v. A fresh cr123 is 2.2-2.6v under load.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. An lfp under load is 3.2-3.3v. A fresh cr123 is 2.2-2.6v under load.
OK. I was just recalling these 2 graphs, which I'd previously saved. As I recall (famous last words) my LFPs settle fairly quickly after charging to ~3.3-3.4V OCV, and drop to ~3.2 as soon as loaded. It appears these Energizer 123s drop to ~2.5V way out in the discharge curve. I see where you're coming from though, and I guess we can round that to "almost a full volt".
1702778887047.png

1702778963188.png

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, here is my debacle. I am looking for a 3 volt battery that is rechargeable, has an onboard port for charging and is as close to a CR123 as possible in dimensions and voltage. Is this an impossible task? I have lifeP03 batteries but I am not always near my charger. I found that the Fenix batteries have an onboard charging point but the voltage is higher and it doesnt work well with older LED bezels. Thanks ahead for any help I get.

I deal with that dilemma by having 'extra' LFP123s available as needed.

As a bonus, I also don't deal with the 'sudden darkness syndrome' common with the 3.7V cells with the switching converter for 3.0V output on board (which as pointed out, may not fit anyway).

EDIT: LFPs may not be appropriate for incan apps though. I can't address that, but others can.

Last edited:

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
They are only slightly longer than a primary. And that 1mm is easily compensated by the spring.
IMG_4260.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I was just recalling these 2 graphs, which I'd previously saved. As I recall (famous last words) my LFPs settle fairly quickly after charging to ~3.3-3.4V OCV, and drop to ~3.2 as soon as loaded. It appears these Energizer 123s drop to ~2.5V way out in the discharge curve. I see where you're coming from though, and I guess we can round that to "almost a full volt".
View attachment 54225

View attachment 54227
For the cr123a, it depends on the load. A 1A load will drop immediately to around 2.5v. A 2.2A load will drop immediately to around 2.2v. Those numbers come for the surefire p60 and p61. Or p90 and p91. Or any of their LOLA and HOLA pairings. They all seem to draw about the same on each cell.
I'm not sure how many amps that graph you showed would be. Unless I'm mixing the math up, that would be 3A. But that's too much and would drop the cell below 2V and would shut down in about ten minutes. But that chart is showing a very light load.

Edit: I'm an idiot. That chart is showing only a 30ma draw. Of course they're a high voltage at that.

Last edited:

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
They're fatter in my experience. They even look a little wider in the picture. That's why they don't fit in some lights. It's not length.
I'll test them in my LX2 when I get to it and will report back.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll test them in my LX2 when I get to it and will report back.
Will be interesting to see. I'm not against these cells I think they're a worthwhile option. But the pair I had were a tad over 17mm diameter. I just prefer lfp and accept the lower capacity. Better cycle life. Simple(no protection circuit), no abrupt shut off. And for leds they can usually handle the little extra voltage.

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:
I tried the Keeppower P1634U2 in my Surefire LX2. They do fit but very snug. The problem is that the extra 1-2mm of the two cells combined actually prevents the tailcap from activating properly all the way down so you only get low mode. Funny thing is that regular SF123As fit on the very possible limit in a LX2.
They do fit excellent in P60 flashlights though. Kroma and Ultra also work well.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried 1x16650 in the LX2 ? Won't be quite fully-driven, but runtime (w/ gradually declining output) would be excellent.
But no regulation sucks. I understand people wanting to get away from primaries, but not at the expense of regulation. I like lfp cells. Runtime is down about 50% from primaries, but they're rechargeable. I think they're the best option. Soshines are very good too