Better flashlight than a 2D Mag-Lite + Malkoff Drop-In for the money?

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
WillJitsu,

By outperform do you mean brightness or runtime? Here's a link to a thread of mine where I graphed the relative brightness and runtime of the Maglites with the Malkoff drop-ins:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3018044&postcount=259

As you can see, the 2D Mag with the Malkoff is very bright and will run for appx 13hrs of usable light. If you want to go with a little less light but much better runtime you might want to move up to a 3D Mag with the Malkoff. Using the 3D Mag with the 2-3D Malakoff drop-in you will get 33hrs of usable light. But, using a 3D Mag with the 4-6D Malkoff drop-in, you will get the same runtime curve for the first 33hrs and then a slow taper of usable light for over 100hrs total. Just some food for thought.

C.P.T.

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
WillJitsu,

By outperform do you mean brightness or runtime? Here's a link to a thread of mine where I graphed the relative brightness and runtime of the Maglites with the Malkoff drop-ins:

As you can see, the 2D Mag with the Malkoff is very bright and will run for appx 13hrs of usable light. If you want to go with a little less light but much better runtime you might want to move up to a 3D Mag with the Malkoff. Using the 3D Mag with the 2-3D Malakoff drop-in you will get 33hrs of usable light. But, using a 3D Mag with the 4-6D Malkoff drop-in, you will get the same runtime curve for the first 33hrs and then a slow taper of usable light for over 100hrs total. Just some food for thought.

C.P.T.
Thanks for that information! When I said outperform, I should have been more specific. I was referring to brightness. As long as I can get a couple of hours of run time, I will be satisfied. I realize that a 3D Mag would be a better choice because of the better runtimes, but I like the fact that I can fit the 2D mag in my dresser drawer. So basically I'm just looking for the best way to make the 2D Mag extremely powerful in terms of brightness and still have a decent runtime. Right now I'm trying to decide between the XP-G drop-in vs. a P7.

Max_Power

Enlightened
My Malkoff P7 Maglite drop-in is focusable to a hot spot about 4 feet in diameter at a range of 27 feet. That's about the same size as the hot spot from an M30 or M60, but with 700 lumens instead of 200+. Totally wipes out the 170 lumen M30W. Also leaves a big afterimage on my retinas. That's why I prefer the 200 lumen lights indoors.

How much throw do you need?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
WillJitsu,

C.P.T.

Are you back, or still in the sand?

Bill

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a $20 terralux drop in if a malkoff isnt available, while some members here dont like them for many reasons, many do, they are 20x as bright as a stock mag and run a long long time on a single set of batteries.

also, you can fit 3 x c cells into a 2 x D cell maglight, and that gets your voltage up= brighter :party:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A 3D Mag would be better.
The Malkoff module is 1000mA/260lumens in a 3D Mag.
On a 2D Mag it is only 600mA giving approximately 260*600/1000=~156 lumens.
you can fit 3 x c cells into a 2 x D cell maglight, and that gets your voltage up= brighter :party:
This is a very good idea, 3xC can attain the output that LEDninja is citing above (for the Malkoff module) but in the OP's 2D. The only catch is that you're looking at only ~half the runtime that a true 3D would have with this configuration - a decent tradeoff IMO.

Last edited:

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
jasonck08 is selling a P7 for $70 in this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255469

That's $10 cheaper than it would cost to put the XP-G drop-in from Malkoff in my existing 2D light. Is purchasing the P7 a better idea? It seems like it would be a lot better since it's 700 lumens vs. the 260 lumens I could get out of the XP-G. If that's the case, why is the P7 phased out and the XP-G more popular? I don't see a benefit to the XP-G over the P7. Thanks!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a $20 terralux drop in if a malkoff isnt available, while some members here dont like them for many reasons, many do, they are 20x as bright as a stock mag and run a long long time on a single set of batteries.

also, you can fit 3 x c cells into a 2 x D cell maglight, and that gets your voltage up= brighter :party:
There are 2 different TerraLUX drop ins.
TerralUX TLE-6EXB EXTREME 2-3 cells. New LED - Luxeon Rebel - 140 Lumens
TerraLUX TLE-1F 2-6 cells Super bright 50 Lumen Output!
Battery Junction also carries them.

The older fat body TerralUX TLE-6EXB seem to be discontinued.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 3D Mag would be better.
The Malkoff module is 1000mA/260lumens in a 3D Mag.
On a 2D Mag it is only 600mA giving approximately 260*600/1000=~156 lumens.

Hi LEDninja,

I think you are mention the specs from the predecessor P4. With that one the difference between 2 and 3cells was significant. When I compared the brightness of the new XP-G I found that the difference is much smaller.
I got the same result with as well the 2C and 2D dropins: the XP-G LED will put out the same brightness at 2,4V like P4 at 3,6V. I found the XP-G is nearly twice as bright as P4 at 2,4V. Consequently the output will be around or close to 200lumen with 2D.

Regards, Patric

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hi LEDninja,

I think you are mention the specs from the predecessor P4. With that one the difference between 2 and 3cells was significant. When I compared the brightness of the new XP-G I found that the difference is much smaller.
I got the same result with as well the 2C and 2D dropins: the XP-G LED will put out the same brightness at 2,4V like P4 at 3,6V. I found the XP-G is nearly twice as bright as P4 at 2,4V. Consequently the output will be around or close to 200lumen with 2D.

Regards, Patric

Patric, that sounds good, and maybe the circuit for the upcoming M31 will be the same or similar. Did you use bounce with luxmeter for your comparative results between P4 and XP-G? If so, would you pdlease post some of the numbers?

Bill

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patric, that sounds good, and maybe the circuit for the upcoming M31 will be the same or similar. Did you use bounce with luxmeter for your comparative results between P4 and XP-G? If so, would you pdlease post some of the numbers?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, I used ceiling bounce test. The lux number with P4/3,6V and XP-G/2,4 and 3V is ca 11(with a very slight difference between the dropins).
I have no P4 in a 2D for the moment but I recall the number was something 6,5-7 at 2,4V.
For the moment I have not either an XP-G in a 3D, but I think the number was ca 14. When I think about it I remember that using fresh alkalines in a 3D the initial number was close to 16. As usual with alkalines the initial brightness drops pretty fast so the higher number with alkalines isn't very valuable, in my opinion.

If it would be of interest just for a comparison here are the numbers I measured for a few other lights:
Fenix
TK20: ca 8,5.
Fenix TK10/TA30
: ca 12,5.
Malkoff M61: ca 15,3.
Fenix TK30: 2cells: ca 22, 4cells: ca 36.
Malkoff MD4 Wildcat gen1
: ca 36.

These numbers are not to be considered as 100% accurate but I think they show pretty clear the brightness differences between these lights.

Regards, Patric