Bicycle light battery location?

marcopolo

Newly Enlightened
Strictly Speaking I suppose this isn't a question for lights as it is pertaining to the effects of the weight of the battery on handling (as opposed to the light produced) but I didn't know where else to post it!! I am looking at various Li-Po or NiMH between 250g and 600g.........1)In top-tube/downtube corner.............2)In downtube bottle mount...............3)Under saddle. (my favourite idea).................4)Anywhere else.....................What would be best so as not to effect the handling of the bike whilst riding red/black grade trails? Or does it really not matter much at the weights I am talking about? The silly dots are there becasue I can't for some reason do paragraphs now?!?!Whats up with formatting?Marco.

Last edited:

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened
Strictly Speaking I suppose this isn't a question for lights as it is pertaining to the effects of the weight of the battery on handling (as opposed to the light produced) but I didn't know where else to post it!! I am looking at various Li-Po or NiMH between 250g and 600g.........1)In top-tube/downtube corner.............2)In downtube bottle mount...............3)Under saddle. (my favourite idea).................4)Anywhere else.....................What would be best so as not to effect the handling of the bike whilst riding red/black grade trails? Or does it really not matter much at the weights I am talking about? The silly dots are there becasue I can't for some reason do paragraphs now?!?!Whats up with formatting?Marco.

When seated, you are tightly coupled to the bike and you outweigh immensely the battery. Out of the saddle, when the bike moves with respect to your body, it may matter somewhat, but still not too much. Placement at the center of mass is ideal, of course. You have three dimensions to play with. Left/right direction is for free, just center it in that dimension. Fore/aft direction placement will primarily affect what happens when the bike tilts fore/aft beneath your body. Vertical placement will affect both fore/aft tilts and left/right tilts (from out of the saddle pedaling).

If you care a lot, perhaps you can just experiment. If I had nothing else occupying the space, protection from mud (fenders, saddlebag, etc), and a convenient mounting method, I would probably choose the saddle mount you mentioned. Personally, I can feel my battery pack (when I use heavy battery-powered light), but it's not very signficant for me, even off road.

Harpoon76

Newly Enlightened
I mount my li-ion pack under my stem in a small camera pack. Two strips of velcro thread through the belt loops on the case and over the top of the stem.

Case is a Hama DF-20 and if you're in the UK, they are £3.50 from Asda. Bargain!

mosport

Enlightened
+1 under the stem (if you have the length).

I have a DiNotte setup similar to Harpoon76, the pack sits inside a nylon flashlight holster with 2 velcro straps holding it in place. It's up front for quick changes with no need to run long wires and won't get caught up or twisted on anything.

snaps

Newly Enlightened
My batteries (2x4S 18650 14.4v) are housed in the 50mmx50mmx190mm aluminium box section attached below my stem & helmet battery is in my Camelback.
3101359420_e42dafa1b3_b_d.jpg