BitZ troubleshooting

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions on what to try next with my failing BitZ flashlight?

I've been EDC'ing it for a few months now and its been working flawlessly on primaries, until the other day when it fell out of my pocket. Before I could catch it, the BitZ received its first usage scar and now my light won't turn on consistently. If I can get it to go on in any twisty mode at all, I have to then give it a good thump in the palm of my hand to get it to fully light up the rest of the way.

I've tried other brands of primary 123 cells -- with no better luck. I've also tried bending the internal leaf spring to make it taller with no change. I've also cleaned all the threads to remove any excess lube with no change.

Many times now the BitZ will not even light up no matter how tight I make the head. Thumping the side of the light in my palm doesn't do very much when the light is failing to even illuminate the led at all.

I'm running out of ideas to try and Lighthound no longer seems to sell the BitZ flashlight, which is where I bought mine from, so I'm not even sure I could send it back to Lighthound for some warranty repair work.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
I took your advice to email him and HgRyu sent a reply back in just a few hours! Thanks for the tip. He says I'll need to mail him my BitZ head back and he'll test and check it.

Last edited:

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
HgRyu has my BitZ light and the last email I had from him said that he would be sending my fixed light back to me sometime this week. I'll try to get some more details about what exactly was wrong or how it was fixed. I'll post back here when my light actually arrives as well.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
So I've received my replacement BitZ head from HgRyu. He mailed it to me on 20080922 and I received it today, 20080927. My BitZ light now works correctly again. The beam from its Seoul P4 emitter is still very nice, especially when compared again the usual ringy cree emitters.

HgRyu was not able to figure out exactly which component in the BitZ head was damaged by the accidental drop. After testing my damaged light, he told me it was just easier to build a new BitZ head and that is what he sent back to me. The annodizing on my replacement head is a little darker than the body of my BitZ light, but that's a minor nit.

I'm just glad I now have a fully functioning BitZ light to EDC again. I can now send the nitecore ex10 back to its shelf position!
icon7.gif

Thanks again to HgRyu for the excellent customer service!