Blu-Ray laser diode hack

aaron_inc

Newly Enlightened
that is a good idea.
i want to try something like this
so i could have a homemade magenta laser:)

liveforphysics

Enlightened
You can run violet, red, and IR at the same time. They are all seperate diodes in the case which share common.

I tried my little pointer with red and violet at the same time, but the red is so much more power and appears so much brighter that I'm not able to tell the difference between just red, or red with violet. The focal difference doesn't seem to be nearly as different as you would think. I think it's possible that they mounted the red diode at a different distance inside the LD houseing to help compensate for the difference in focal length.

On the bright side, the PS3 laser assembly includes all the parts needed to split the red from the violet, focus each one seperately and re-combine. Personally, I just enjoy keeping my blue pointer the size of my index finger, and wouldn't want to clutter it up with other parts, but for a lab module it might be neato. :)

Best Wishes,
-Luke

Heruursciences

Newly Enlightened
It is not a good idea to run the red diode at the same time as the violet since the red chip is heat sunk THROUGH the VLD. To make it even worse, it sits practically on top of the lasing channel of the VLD.

aaron_inc

Newly Enlightened
Heruursciences said:
It is not a good idea to run the red diode at the same time as the violet since the red chip is heat sunk THROUGH the VLD. To make it even worse, it sits practically on top of the lasing channel of the VLD.
dam :( i really wanted a magenta laser the picture below is 660nm and 405nm mixed, such a cool color.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
dam i really wanted a magenta laser the picture below is 660nm and 405nm mixed, such a cool color.
The violet component of that will look much dimmer than the picture will lead you to believe, that's because cameras are a lot more sensitive to near-UV the eyes are. The same is true of deep red/near IR.

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
So I got a blu-ellaser working and it's TOTALLY awesome!!! Just wondering, can anyone confirm the power on the red diode in the PS3 assembly before I start screwing with a good thing?

Thanks

~Chip

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
Some quick pics before I sit down to watch The Shield...
Blu3.jpg

Blu1.jpg

Blu2.jpg

~Chip:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2:

firefly

Newly Enlightened
Arggggg i'm jealous :"-( please give spec what's flashlight you use and what's the driver laser modification you make??? what's your collimating lens?

SenKat

Enlightened
Chip - that is truely an awesome sight to behold ! I LOVE it !!! I guess it is pointless (pardon the pun) to ask how your experiments are going - obviously they are going VERY well ! NICE WORK !!!!

:goodjob:

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened
Well mine finally showed up on Monday, but because it shipped insured, my mail room wouldn't take it, so I went to the post office today and got it. Mine says it came from vavolo.com in hong kong, and has $43 in stamps plastered all over it.

So, anyone have a definitive answer on the best housing with glass lens & adj. focal length? :)

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
The $4 brass one from Aixiz seems to be working really well for me. It's definately a useable pointer. :) Aside from the fact that it's kind of annoying to try and focus on! ;)

~Chip

P.S. Anybody know the wavelength for the Ps3 Blu-ray diode?

Last edited:

firefly

Newly Enlightened
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH i'm happy i make my blue ray pointer with dealxtreme 1W