Output mode:
CW
Wavelength: 532nm
Voltage: 3.3-5VDC
Beam Divergence: <1.4mrad
Current: <400mA
Expected Lifetime: >4,000hrs
Dimensions: 20 x 60mm

and im not to sure because i never really have dealt with one of these or something like it before, would i need a driver board of some sort or could i simply jimmy rig it to (3)AAA batterys to provide 4.5 volts or would it need to be regulated and if so is there a component i could get or buy a regulator cheaply somewhere?

The driver that came with my head (same brand) provided an even 5.0 VDC. The trick is the current regulation, so a simple 5V power pack won't do it for you-- but would burn out your laser faster than you can blink.

What did you pay for this head, if i may ask. It's been about 3~4 years since my purchase from Jure, where I won a 20mW module for $350.

Hello TurtleDude. I have one of these units as well. I took a Mag Lite AA Unit and gutted the focal cup and related components. I measured the O.D of the laser head @ 19.87mm. Then , carefully machined the I.D of the Maglite unit to accept the head with .0004" interferance fit.The battery pos. "button" was used to provide a good means of safely turning the unit on and off.I machined a flat just behind the front aluminum bezel for a SPST. With careful planning this provides ample room for the power contact and wire. When finished , GENTLY press the head unit .275"/.300" into the front of the Maglite unit assembly after completing all connections. It has been operating for some time now,occasionally for an hour or more with little heat or change in beam.It is powered by 2 1000maH 1.2 NiMh cells. Hope this helps with your unit as well. Measured output was @ 9.76 mW after 15 minutes. Please remeber that it is at a dangerous level for one's eye contact and proper measures to ensure safety need to be observed.

so no drivers were used, just a simple switch controlled 3~ volt current? thanks for the idea with the maglight!

If all you have is a laser head with no driver board regulating current, as yours is... DO NOT apply voltage. I repeat. DO NOT apply voltage.

That is all.

well were could i buy a driver board or driver electronics to regulate voltage for this kind of head? and is it possible there may be some circuitry in the back of that head assembly/ it looks a littlelong and i dont see those wires being directly soldered to diode leads inside there, that just seems a little akward to me

If the module is prepped with a red wire and a black wire, and they enter the back of the module like the wires on the one at the link in the first post in this thread, you should be OK with connecting it directly to two 1.5 volt cells. Red is always (+) positive, black is always (-) negative.

thank you ledmuseum, ill try that out and hopefully wont set anything on fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif