Camelopardalid meteor shower, May 23-24

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a few as well. Conditions were about how they were in your neck of the woods, Greta. Mostly cloudy with a few "windows" in teh clouds to look through. Neat, though, even if it wasn't the 1000/hr some people were hoping for.

Greta

Flashaholic
The Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower will peak on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings - best times will be after 2AM. The radiant point is the constellation Aquarius. You can find it by looking slightly south for the great square of Pegasus... then look below that. The Perseids Meteor Shower will peak on the morning of August 10th - this one should be HUGE!!

Meanwhile though... I was out this morning and saw several of the Aquarids but only caught one with the camera -

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1406586889.374533.jpg

I'll be out again tomorrow morning :)

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
Saw quite a few meteors this morning... Didn't get any pictures worth sharing. The Aquarids are not very bright compared to other showers. But it was worth getting up anyway... very peaceful... :)

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went out Sunday night/monday morning to watch the aquarids/persieds while the moon is still out of the way. Saw maybe one or two aquarids, but saw like, 5 Perseids! I was expecting the opposite, perhaps the aquarids are too dim for me to properly see? The place where I was, you can only see the milky way in the sky directly above you, but better than at my house, where sometimes you can see a planet, or a random star or two.

Went through half a bag of Davids sunflower seeds too!

If Perseids technical peak coincides with a new moon, I might take a special trip to someplace more darkerer. Also, maybe ought to get glasses or contacts soon, might help >.<

Greta

Flashaholic
Unfortunately the Perseids technical peak with coincide with the FULL moon. The new moon was last Sunday night. On August 10th, the Full moon will rise at about 7:15PM and set on the 11th at about 7:00AM (give or take a few minutes). This means it will be big and bright and high in the sky during the peak hours of the Perseids... :(

If you can get to a dark place tonight, you should still be able to catch a few Aquarids and some Perseids.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping this weekend the moon might set early enough to still be able to catch some meteors. I'm not an early riser, although I've tried a few times. So, I just have to stay up late to catch 'em. When I was last out, there were plenty of "I think I saw one"'s, but the Perseids we saw were very obvious. My favorite part about stargazing is being able to clear your mind completely. Knowing it doesn't matter how much you worry about something right now, because you're busy looking at stars, and that's just how it will be.

I think the next "big" shower coinciding with a fairly dim moon phase is coming up in December, although I don't recall the name of the shower. Gonna have to bundle up good for that one, but Winter skies are always so clear!

Greta

Flashaholic
Last meteor shower of the year last night/this morning - The Geminids. Caught this one...

Nikon1_700.jpg