Camping light

NathanExplosion

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I'm going on a camping/hiking trip and need a very good very bright light. It is an annual trip and last few times the only thing we had to light the way was a small maglite and the flashlight from my friends iPhone and it sucked really bad. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp. Get a nice headlamp. I have a Zebralight H51w (warm version). It takes regular AA batteries, plenty bright for camping/hiking/backpacking at night, light weight, and most importantly, it makes you 100% more productive by freeing your OTHER hand. I've brought plenty types of flashlights on camping/backpacking trips from floody lights, to lights that have throw, from warm to cool tints, from super ultra mega bright to walmart brand lights and the H51w improved my experience the most. Sure, it's fun to have the play lights that are super bright or that has crazy throw but the one that made living outdoors easiest was the light on my head.

edit:
Also forgot to mention. You really don't need a really bright light when you're in an area that is completely devoid of ambient light, like in the city. You're eyes adjust very well after it's been in a really dark environment. Sometimes when I backpack at night, if there's a full moon out, I don't even use my headlamp. I would say 200-300 lumen light source is perfect. The zebralight that I mentioned is only rated at around 180lm (since it's the warm version) but 70% of the time I only use it on Medium.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

Although I'd call it a right-angle flashlight that does headlamp duty. In other words, it'll just makes a great all-around EDC light long after leaving the headband at home, and has many more hands-free use options just with the clip and tail-standing alone.

I camp a bit, and I find the most important thing in a camping light to be moonlight and other low low lumen levels-preservation of night vision, super long runtimes, and less annoying/disturbing to others.

Another cheaper option (due to current sales) are the 4Sevens Quarks, 1 or 2 x AA, and getting a headband, like one from Nitecore.

100-200 lumens is way more than you'll need in the dark woods.

glugo1969

Newly Enlightened
a headlamp that works on aa, a fenix mc11, and something like a quark turba 2aa also something like a fenix ld01 or klarus mix6 to have on the neck

LGT

Enlightened
I also suggest a headlamp. ZebraLight has a few options. You won't regret having hands free illumination. They can also be easily removed from the headband for pocket carry.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I go hiking and camping often when the weather is good, which is starting up again now this year. At a camp site where there's no light, a light with good flood and less than 200 lumens works out the best. Also use a natural white light or everything will look blue. If you go too bright of a flashlight in the confined area of your camp, it's harder on your eyes (at least for me).

If you plan to go night hiking, which can be fun or dangerous, then I like a lot more light output but in a flood light. You rarely have a use for a thrower unless you're searching for something way ahead of you. Again, I would recommend natural white light when hiking so rocks, dirt, and wood log colors don't blend with each other. It will actually make it hard to hike and get your footing with a cool blue light.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Another cheaper option (due to current sales) are the 4Sevens Quarks, 1 or 2 x AA, and getting a headband, like one from Nitecore.

I think you mean Nite Ize, not Nitecore, correct? I've got one, it's not elastic like most headlamp headbands, but if you adjust it right it'll just sit on yer noggin like a hat, and can be quite comfortable.

In general, I agree with the advice I'm seeing so far: a headlight is THE most convenient light format, and should be considered your primary light. Yeah, I thought the idea seemed kinda weird, too, until I tried one: being able to use both hands normally was a revelation.

I also agree, it's good practice to use only as much light as you need to see the trail just in front of you, or whatever you're working on in camp. Tryit, you'll be amazed how well your eyes adapt to low light, if you let them.

However, there are times when you need more throw, such as to see further ahead on a tricky bit of trail, or well into the woods when something goes "crunch" at 2am, or God forbid, to signal for help if you get into trouble. These days, though, a good-throwing light need not be a big light; leave the MagLite at home, and look into some of the 1xAA or 2xAA lights recommended already.

Oh, if you're gonna pack a headlamp and a thrower, you might consider ones that use the same batteries. Kinda sucks when your 3xAAA headlamp runs dry, but the only spares you have left are CR123As for the thrower. Personally, I've standardized on AA cells: my Zebralight headlamp takes one, and my thrower (usually a Quark AA²) takes two; even my GPS uses AAs. I can be all Earth-friendly and use rechargeables, but on longer hikes, alkalines can be found at any retail establishment off-trail.

AAAs have a lot of the same advantages, although there aren't many good choices for high-quality 3xAAA thrower; also, I personally hate fumbling with three tiny cells in the dark, while trying to remember which one is the weird one that goes in the other way from the other two!

Th1989light

Newly Enlightened
I know everyone is talking about flashlights, but I always take a lantern camping as well. It is great to leave on at the campsite, or in your tent. They are great for lighting up a good sized area in a flood light type pattern.

One lantern that I was amazed with (for the size and the price) was the Rayovac Sportsman 300 lumen lantern. It was a great price, I believe $25 on amazon. It puts out a great amount of light for how small it is. It does not weigh much, and it isn't much bigger than my hand. It is so small I am even taking it backpacking because it is such a great light. I take any time I go camping especially when you cannot have a campfire, which is common in New Mexico.

Th1989light

Newly Enlightened
I can include some shots of how the lantern puts out light as well if you would like.

Last edited:

Th1989light

Newly Enlightened
What would you recommend as a small AA or AAA light with a good amount of throw, that is under about $40?.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you mean Nite Ize, not Nitecore, correct? I've got one, it's not elastic like most headlamp headbands, but if you adjust it right it'll just sit on yer noggin like a hat, and can be quite comfortable.

No, I mean Nitecore, I have the Niteize too, but I like the Nitecore better. You can't post links on this forum, but search for "Nitecore Headband" on Amazon.... $11.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know everyone is talking about flashlights, but I always take a lantern camping as well. It is great to leave on at the campsite, or in your tent. They are great for lighting up a good sized area in a flood light type pattern.

In addition to headlamp use, my Quark does lantern duty quite well too. On low, it's just as bright, and lasts just as long, as my Black Diamond Apollo running 4xAA. Of course, its way brighter on high, not mention being completely pocketable.

6523054055_1f1fbd25db_z.jpg

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey reppans, I've seen your diffuser trick posted a number of times. I salted it away in my memory but hadn't tried it yet, I can't tell from your pic but it seems like tape is used. I couldn't remember where I put the tape and this just occurred to me and it was so quick to try, cut two slits:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Maybe that's new and maybe it's not, but it's so easy that it should be common knowledge. Really Nice flood btw, thanks for the suggestion reppans, I knew it was a good idea but it's a shame I hadn't tried it before now.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here ya go eh4,

It's a business card held in place by the Quark's own pocket clip, half has piece of aluminum foil tape for 90 degree reflector duty which retains the beam and hotspot. On the back I taped two twisty-ties so you bend/set the angle of reflection.

BTW, I like your idea for longer lights where the clip won't reach.

6695794507_862e41d4cd_z.jpg

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
One lantern that I was amazed with (for the size and the price) was the Rayovac Sportsman 300 lumen lantern. It was a great price, I believe $25 on amazon. It puts out a great amount of light for how small it is. It does not weigh much, and it isn't much bigger than my hand. It is so small I am even taking it backpacking because it is such a great light. I take any time I go camping especially when you cannot have a campfire, which is common in New Mexico.

Those Rayovac lanterns are nice. They're compact in size and only use 3 D-cells, as opposed to some Coleman LED lanterns that use 4 or 8 D-cell batteries.

However, they are no where near as bright as a mantle gas lantern. I have 4 Rayovac lanterns and all 4 of them are still no where near as bright as my dual mantle lantern for a camp site. The other thing I don't like about the Rayovac lanterns is the light is very blue in color.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for clarifying reppans, I see that it's considerably more specialized. I think I'll make a couple of them up for playing with night photography.
Hey as long as we are talking about camping and you're already carrying something that keeps this card diffuser protected you should be carrying a freznel lens. I have cracked the wallet sized ones, in my wallet no less, so they are a bit fragile but weigh almost nothing and are quite powerful.

Latest posts