Can someone please explain what the 4 die CREE XLamp MC-E LED is? Is this new or... ?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running a high power LED like a Luxeon V or this Cree MC-E off of a single cell is a rather foolhardy thing to do, the amount of power being drawn from the battery to power the light is dangerous to do for any reasonable period of time and you run the risk of having your cell explode - I speak from experience as I've come close to explosions and had batteries vent on me having done just that while experimenting in the past.

Now, as to whether or not it can be done - sure. Wire the MC-E in a 2-series-2-parallel configuration and you've got a modern day Luxeon V equivalent, but mechanically you'll have to figure out how to make it all fit in a host designed for a different LED. It is possible, though.
Back when I ran the TW4 set up, it was drawing about 1.2 amps or less (if I remember correctly) Sure, kinda power hungry, but boy is that beam pattern behind a short reflector beautiful

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again... what's the 4 die CREE XLamp MC-E LED? And does this compete with the P7?
well,
if one sees the MC-E as a quad-die, parallel wired multichip-led, it is a direct competitor of the P7,
if one sees it as a 2 parallel of 2 series wired strings, then it is a direct competitor of the LuxV (but with the actual double efficient emitters)
but actually it is
1st: way smaller than the Seoul P7, so nearly every existing focusing device for the XR-E will work good (giving a wider beam of course, as the size of the glowing surface is larger) and,
2nd: is simply perfect when wired in series --> better for the individual led dies than parallel wiring AND (most important) there are tested and proven step-up driver circuits avilable for some time now, while for quad-die parallel there are no good drivers and if there are some made, they are much larger because the higher current needs the parts to be larger.

(PS: and it is made from Cree and not Seoul, which means, no matter what document data marketing dept. posts, it works better.
But that is just my totally unscientific sight of things, found while modding around with P4s and XR-Es, where the P4 always was a reason for granted trouble and disappointment. I still use the Seouls when emitter swapping simply is not possible with a Cree for whatever reason, but the XR-E mods are several steps better)

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
yellow, step up converters work well with the Lux V type arrangement of the emitters, and lots of those setups around, but running the four emitters in series would take step down, right? Maybe I read your post wrong.

Bill

Latest posts