Can you use a dry "Q-Tip" to clean the contacts on the flashlight?

LED Flashlights.

Enlightened
I really don't like using rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts on the flashlight.

Can I just use a dry "Q-Tip" to clean the oil from the contracts?

I mean, is it the proper way to clean the contacts on the flashlight?

Will it destroy the flashlight overtime?

Last edited:

Flic

Enlightened
I really don't like using rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts on the flashlight.

Can I just use a dry "Q-Tip" to clean the oil from the contracts?

I mean, it is the proper way to clean the contacts on the flashlight?

Will it destroy the flashlight overtime?

You can but it will not remove oxidation or other residue very well. Kind'a like showering without soap.

Use of alcohol should not cause any damage long-term unless you dunk the parts in it. You can also use other cleaners such as Deoxit if alcohol is an issue

Gryffin

Enlightened

There's alcohol, and there's alcohol.

(and I don't mean :drunk: :buddies: )

The more common 70% isopropyl doesn't usually evaporated fully; it'll leave some residual water behind. This is not good.

90% isopropyl not only evaporates fully, it'll take with it some oils and other contaminants. I've used it for years as a light degreaser, on everything from PC motherboards to camera equipment to knives to flashlights.

It's really not that hard to find. A little 90% iso and a Q-Tip won't clean flashlight contact like De-Oxit, but it's better than a dry Q-Tip alone. Honest!

bspofford

Enlightened
I've heard that a clean pencil eraser (the pink kind on the end of a wooden pencil) works well too.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use alcohol and wipe it up afterwards with a dry q-tip.

+1, I was going to say the same thing.

Also good call about the 90% isopropyl. I have always used the common 70% with no problems, but this sounds like a good idea.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that a clean pencil eraser (the pink kind on the end of a wooden pencil) works well too.

I've used erasers on contacts for communications equipment. It definitely helps...if you make sure you can get all the eraser "shavings" out. In cases where you can't you may introduce other problems.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Oh, forgot to add: you don't have to worry if you get a little isopropyl alcohol in the electronics: it's not conductive, so it can't short anything out. If you inadvertently get some where you don't want it, just let it dry, and you should be good to go. :thumbsup:

Good call on the pencil eraser, too. They're mildly abrasive, and make short work on contact oxidation. Just don't rub hard enough to create those pesky "shavings".

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself use a Wurth product called Contact OL,designed to clean contacts in the automotive trade,a friend buys and uses it on his arcade machines which he puts out on rental.

He has been using it for years and put me on to it.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always use Q-Tips, also for the inner threads, aftr having cleaned them first with a cloth.

I got Deoxyd now, so I put a few small drops on the contacts and rub them with a Q-Tip. I think that way the Deoxyd goes everywhere and a small amount stays on the contact surfaces.

yalskey

Enlightened
Not to be a buzz-kill or anything, but shouldn't this really go under the General Flashlights forum? It really has nothing to do with LED flashlights in particular.

So as to actually contribute to this thread...

I don't like using Q-tips to clean my threads... I'm always worried about little cotton fibers coming off and getting trapped up in my threads. I just use an old toothbrush for cleaning, and another old toothbrush to apply the lube. Then I spread it even by licking it with my tongue.

What? ...like you don't do it? puleaze!

:grin2:

Gryffin

Enlightened
Not to be a buzz-kill or anything, but shouldn't this really go under the General Flashlights forum? It really has nothing to do with LED flashlights in particular.

Um… check out the OP's name. Of *course* it belongs here!! :D

I just use an old toothbrush for cleaning, and another old toothbrush to apply the lube. Then I spread it even by licking it with my tongue.

What? ...like you don't do it? puleaze!

Dude, you need professional help. :nana:

agedbriar

Newly Enlightened
I'm a toothbrush collector too. The small children version are great for tight spots, especially with the bristles trimmed down, which also makes them stiffer.

Not to mention the tongue... it's my EDC. :)

Latest posts