Candlelight Forums explained:

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
My experience as a rookie only. IMHO only. YMMV. I am new to LED and JUST NEED A flashlight!!!! Ask a question, it may or may not get answered. If you ask an irrelevant one, that is out of specs, they will not give you a valid NO response, but suggest alternate battery or configuration. TBF, a few do, but just 1 or 2. For example, I someone needed an AAA at 500 lumens and many will suggest an AA without telling you NO, it does not exist. Or 3 AAA's or 2 AA's or a rechargeable light you did not ask for. A few simply say NO, which is THE ONLY answer. There are a few that will recommend a car battery, total smart ace answers. Then to be fair, I love some of those that take painstaking at length responses that explain what and LED is, an LEP, PWM and algorithmic, etc. Nice!! I still do not get it all nor do I or most beginners care, we just want a flashlight that works to our specific needs, and most do not understand or care. The ones that get their "O" face on are those with experience. LOL! It is not as much a LED flashlight forum as it is a discussion forum of any topic other than flashlights for those that have 1,000 responses or more (not really sure here). They seem to be the same 8-12 people that have 1000-3000 responses and then the moderator lets them start threads and say just about whatever they want. And, those same high responder people can start political or social threads, nothing to do with flashlights, and the moderator gives them a pass. I called out a few on a political thread and the moderator went after me personally not to post political. But not the others.
Then there is the flashlight recommendation: You will get 20 brands, 100 flashlights, all defending theirs, with others replying that the one recommended failed for them or did not work, and it leaves you more confused than it helps. This, bit is repeated ad nauseum and it does not help, etc. ALL MEANINGLESS. The ONLY thing you get is BRAND names and then with that you can research yourself. You can better info at a site that you need to research that lets you pick battery, led, price, brand, lumens, throw, etc. It is way better. Flashlights Parametric. So, for LED flashlights, look elsewhere. I have used this as an intro and quickly found out it is for the 20 posters that feed off of each other. LOL.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reylight and others make penlights that come with a 10880 battery that also run on 2 AAA.

But they specifically asked for 2 x AAA.

Agreed, go with a AA cell.

And the overall answer was earlier in the thread to your question: NO, no advancements per se, have not been made. Go with an AA cell 1 or 2x. Also recommended on this thread.

All from the same thread. You complain about people mentioning other cells, then you go and do it yourself. You also b**** about people making threads that have nothing to do with flashlights, then you make this gem of a thread that has nothing to do with flashlights.

Thank you for your contributions to Candlelight Forums:au:

…For example, I someone needed an AAA at 500 lumens and many will suggest an AA without telling you NO, it does not exist. Or 3 AAA's or 2 AA's or a rechargeable light you did not ask for. A few simply say NO, which is THE ONLY answer…
Perhaps some don't give an absolute answer of "no" because there might be something that exists and they're not aware of it. This who give an absolute "no" could be called out and pointed to a product that does exist. I see it as being modest and helpful in directing the question toward alternatives that do exist and may fill their needs.

I do stoutly stand by my statement though: The answer is always: Malkoff. 😁

IMG_4878.GIF
IMG_4878.GIF
IMG_4878.GIF

MatthewMurdock

Newly Enlightened
I see this all the time. "I need __________." After getting a ton of responses, it then becomes "I also need it to do _____________, ____________, and _________. "

One of the greatest struggles in life is realizing that we don't know what we don't know and will ask the wrong question because we don't know why something is the way it is.