Ceiling Bounce

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Every night for the last 10 years at least, I've ceiling bounced my flashlights to light up my living room area.
I like it darker at night, so a mellow ceiling bounce is great indirect lighting.

Obviously warmer tints are a must, so I use tint filters alot in my stuff & floddy beams work best (a 70.2 emitter on Low is a good choice)
...Seems like daily I'm recharging a 21700 or 26650 cell, {charging two 26650s' at this moment}

Does anyone else ceiling bounce to do indirect lighting?
if so, what do you use.

:au:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do this for short periods in the evening occasionally with my HDS Rotary. It has a high CRI Nichia emitter, a Surefire diffuser over the lens, and a CR123 primary cell inside.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When the all night generator konks out I use Maglite D sized lights on Eco mode. The ceiling bounce makes enough ambient light to navigate about the house and Eco mode lasts and lasts.

We still use candles some but use the Maglites instead of oil lamps.

When I lived alone on a lake I used to dimly light my little bungalo, gawk at twinkling lights on the lake out of my living room and listen to smooth jazz music. Then some girl would knock on the door and interupt the peace and quiet. I had a plaque that said "cave sweet cave" on the front door. The cool girls knew to use the wind chime hanging on the porch lamp to announce themselves. The rest……I'd yell "wudda you want?" through the mail slot as I was turning the lights on.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cool girls knew to use the wind chime hanging on the porch lamp to announce themselves.
+

Hugh Hefner aka bykfixer :party:

1648078500384.png

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
PFlexPro P60 dropin triple 5000K Nichia 219C powered by Crescendo w/reverse clicky in an Oveready Defense Light. Given that the switch touches the table top, I must lean it against something to shine upward. The ramping Crescendo is too touchy for the field, so this works ok. 26650 battery lasts a long time for our use.

The main room in our house has steeply sloping wood that is a medium dark stain. Ceiling bounce their seems so, inefficient. But that does not stop us from using flashlights at times. Handy for task work or the Christmastime jigsaw puzzle: SureFire P60 and Emisar D4Ti
CFB46D21-7A52-41CC-8875-1958081D1334.jpeg
4B8AD840-E953-413B-A89E-C0323A47F935.jpeg

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Absolutely, and anyone that doesn't use ceiling bounce while having a light-toned ceiling without slant is missing out. I don't have many diffusers, so bounce is my way of choice to create ambient lighting.

I mentioned in another thread that power went out in my complex for a few hours earlier this month, from late afternoon until well after dark, and a select number of my torches generously lit up all rooms in use (without going beyond 10% power mode on any of them – the benefits of a white painted ceiling). Only neighbor I saw with any light in their flats had a candle on a saucer; no such fire hazards here ;) As her house burned down partially in the 80s because of an untended candle and a dumb teen chick babysitting my elder brother while she was away, my mother is especially on par with this.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Set up a LED fixture some 10 years ago in the bedroom that relies on this effect: 8' of Al U-channel with 4000K LED strip mounted to the wall just shy of the ceiling interface firing off the vaulted ceiling.

cityevader

Enlightened
My home use/camping like must candle stand. As such, Zebralights in neutral/warm fill the bill nicely. The many many output levels ensures perfect ambient light.