Changing my EDC Multitool

RebelRAM

Enlightened
In my line of work, a good multitool is a given. I carried a Gerber multitool for years. Then I changed jobs and needed something a little smaller so I got Leatherman Juice CS4. That is an excellent tool. Then last summer I got back into collecting SAKs again. So the CS4 got swapped out with a Vic Cybertool 41. I carry the Cybertool most days of the week while I'm at work. But I find the rest of the time I'm quite happy with just carrying a Victorinox Tinker or Soldier. I thought I would miss the pliers since I use them so much, but I don't. The Tinker and Soldier are what I consider minimalist SAKs, just the basics. I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. theory so these two SAKs just make sense to me. I also found that I am usually near a pair of pliers throughout the day anyways, either in my desk at work, at home(plenty of tools in the house and garage), or if I am anywhere else, I'm near my Jeep and have pliers in it too along with a couple extra multitools.

Either way it's nice to have lots of choices for EDC. It does however take me a little longer to get ready for work in the mornings because I stare at my dresser trying to decide which items will be my EDC for the day. Most of the time that decision is made based on what I think I'll be doing(working on) for the day.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a desk jockey, I don't use a multitool on the job, but still have to figure out what to carry just in case.

feb-3.jpg

cheers

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet collection, PN!

In Victorinox, I have a Swisstool, Soldier (LOVE that knife!), Midnight Manager, Classic and a Recruit.
I also have a Gerber Shortcut (ok, but kinda cheap), and a Leatherman Squirt (VERY cool little tool).
These tools are SO good, they are almost "boring". They just work.

I used the Swisstool and Soldier extensively when remodeling my kitchen and dining room.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My choices are a bit more simple. I currently own a SAK Huntsman and a SAK Waiter/Bartender. (They usually get left at home). I also own a couple of SAK Classics and a SwissCard. The one model I EDC is my SAK Rambler. Has all the tools of the Classic, but with a nice combo tool that's a phillip's head screwdriver, bottleopener, and wire-stripper.

I normally wear dress pants, and the Rambler recently replaced my Leatherman Micra in my pocket. The Micra is a fine tool, but a bit too heavy in dress pants.

I keep a Leatherman Kick in an Urban Survival kit. My main multi-tool is a SOG Power Lock.

But everything except the Rambler usually gets left at home.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Leatherman Charge TTi = EDC :D

Leatherman Juice KF4 = Formal Day Carry = FDC ?! :)
Victorinox Mini Champ = Key Chain
Victorinox SwissCard Lite = Wallet
Victorinox WorkChamp = Car Glove Box
Victorinox SwissChamp = Desk Drawer
Victorinox SwissTool = Basement Tool Box

InFlux

Enlightened
powernoodle said:
As a desk jockey, I don't use a multitool on the job, but still have to figure out what to carry just in case.

feb-3.jpg

cheers

Powernoodle- Is that a Charge Ti with AlTiNitrate coating???

Damn I wish I thought of that when I sent my Ti PD to Modamag for coating, I should a popped my xTi into the package... :ohgeez:

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
InFlux said:
Powernoodle- Is that a Charge Ti with AlTiNitrate coating???

Damn I wish I thought of that when I sent my Ti PD to Modamag for coating, I should a popped my xTi into the package... :ohgeez:

I'm pretty sure the only type of coating on leathermans were black oxide coating (unless you count that camo stuff from bass pro)..also, that's a wave, lol

InFlux

Enlightened
Yeah, I was asking about the Charge on the lower left in the photo. I wasn't aware they were offered in Black Oxide and was wondering if Powernoodle had it coated in AlTiNi. :)

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
If you look closely they're actually both waves (it was hard for me to see at first, but they both have wave stamped on them...I think) the one on the right of the non black oxide wave is a black oxide supertool 200 (or a core, they are both very similar in size/shape)..either way they're still awesome tools :) , (I wish they did do them in TiAlNi :ohgeez: , or diamond like carbon, or diamond, lol, although they did do that for their 25th anniversery original wave). I've read that black oxide supposedly can show deeper scratches (more contrast from black and bare metal I guess). The closest thing I would guess to what you are thinking of would be an SOG done in TiNi (can't remember if they still do that)

Last edited: