Cheap outdoor-sport lite: MTE SSC P7 looks great!

JeffOYB

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing some research and querying around to see what cheap little light would work for bike commuting and XC trail skiing (mt bike trail riding?).

It seems like the Crees have too small of a hotspot. I got suggestions to make a diffuser to widen the post. I tried a test with scotch tape and kinda got the spot to widen but it weakened also.

In the end I got a MTE SSC P7 5-mode 900-lumen from DX for $40, 18650.

I had started my quest from my "home base" of using Petzl headlamps. I've always liked them but they're kinda weak for road biking. They released a new model this summer the Myo-XP (I think) at 85 lumens. I was impressed. Then I discovered DX! ...Then CPF! : ) I next tried a $17 RC-W4 Cree 3AAA at, like, 170 lumens. I thought it would HAVE to be great---reviewers mentioned "great spill". Then I discovered the limits of a tight spot. It was NO GOOD. So I asked around more and got the tip to the P7.

The P7 so far has proved to be great! ...But I've only tried it a few times. It seems to have just what I need: a 15-foot wide bright area at 20 feet in front of my bike (or skis). (Sure, it probably doesn't have 900 useful lumens, but it does have a wide spot and superbright spill.)

*I NOTE THAT BIKE LIGHTS SEEM BEST JUDGED BY *DEGREE* WIDTH OF THE BEAM. A 15-20 deg beam seems useful. (16-17 if you want to get picky, for the road. 20 for trail.) I don't recall seeing beam-angle mentioned on CPF or in DX reviews.

(I tested a $2 and a $4 DX handlebar mounts. I think the *other* $4 mount would be better--the one with angle adjust. The fixed $4 mount seems frail---I may epoxy rather than rely on the tiny, shallow screw.)

Here are a couple images showing several beamshot comparisons.

This first image-comparison shows, on the left, the RC-W4 plus my Petzl headlamp (I used them together)--it worked only OK/adequate---not great. On the right is the P7 by itself. Looks great!

http://outyourbackdoor.com/images2008/beamshots.bike.side.by.side.jpg

Here's the trail comparison with all 3 lites used as headlamps (stick lights use velcro strap)... Left: Petzl Myo. Center: P7. Right: RC-W4.

http://outyourbackdoor.com/images2008/beamshots.ski.side.jpg

Over Sized images changed to links

Last edited by a moderator:

luc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Looks indeed like a great bike-light. *:thumbsup:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought everyone knew? I've been harking about them for ages now :p (how many times have I posted that link? XD)

Mind if your beamshots are used in the above review? I know the guy who did it, and he might be interested in some beamshots to illustrate how good it is :thumbsup:

Last edited:

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
In the end I got a MTE SSC P7 5-mode 900-lumen from DX for $40, 18650.
and
The P7 so far has proved to be great! ...But I've only tried it a few times. It seems to have just what I need: a 15-foot wide bright area at 20 feet in front of my bike (or skis). (Sure, it probably doesn't have 900 useful lumens, but it does have a wide spot and superbright spill.)

Do you have a direct link to your P7-light?
The DX homepage serch function is not what I would like it to be....

How do you fasten the P7-light on your head when skiing?

/Håkan
SWEDEN

BlackSpur

Newly Enlightened
IS there any difference between the 2 and 5 mode options (other than the obvious). How do you mount your P7s?

JeffOYB

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, anyone can re-use my beamshots.

I note that with the "road" image, the lefthand Cree light looks "decent" but really only the hotspot portion is light enough to ride by. The spill is basically unusable---it causes eyestrain if you try.

I use the sticklights on my handlebars with 2 of the cheap mounts that DX sells---I have a $2 mount and a $4 but there's another $4 that seems better. The one I have holds the light-mount to the base-mount with only a tiny screw that doesn't insert far---I think I'll just glue the mount to the base. The other, hopefully better, mount seems to offer a pivot adjustment. Sorry I don't have the SKU's handy.

When off the bike, I use a sticklight on my head with a simple headband with a velcro strap sewn onto it that lashes around the light. I haven't tried it under jarring conditions yet (as with night XC trail skiing) but my rig seems OK so far. It goes over a winter hat so it's comfy enough. Any known rock-solid headstraps for sale out there? Or design pics to make at home? I didn't see one at DX. I think that a strap over the top of the head would be a nice addition---mine is still a work in progress.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
High mode gets you just over an hour with a "normal" 2000mah+ 18650. Not so sure about medium mode.

JeffOYB

Newly Enlightened
Hi all...

It's been awhile!

Some responses:

*I get about 30-40 minutes on high with my "big mAh" battery. I carry a spare battery with me.

*I recall that I adjusted the beamshots in Photoshop to make them look how the lights look to me when I use them. So I didn't do a "pure" objective, constant exposure for each light. Basically, the P7 is wonderfully bright and floody---great for road biking and xc skiing. The other light was WAY too throwy and useless. My kind of outdoor sports work needs a wide swath at 10-40 feet. When biking I still use my Petzl Myo headlamp with the P7 as a supplement but the P7 totally swallows the Petzl beam when they overlap. I use the headlamp to see to the sides when I turn my head while the P7 is on my bars.

*Latest P7 news:

I bought my light last winter and it worked great for a few months. Now it'll only work when the end-cap is unscrewed a few turns.

Anyone know how to fix such a problem?

I think that mine is DX sku.12060.

It's 5-mode without a memory...I think that's right: I have to click thru a bunch of modes when I turn it on each time.

Thanks, JP

Scoot

Newly Enlightened
Now it'll only work when the end-cap is unscrewed a few turns.

Anyone know how to fix such a problem?

I think that mine is DX sku.12060.

It's 5-mode without a memory...I think that's right: I have to click thru a bunch of modes when I turn it on each time.

Thanks, JP
I'm developing the same problem on mine based on your description... only it is not quite that severe yet. Hope someone can illuminate us :candle:

Scoot

Newly Enlightened
Most excellent pe2er. Thank you very much!

heh, that mte p7 is even the exact same light I have :naughty:

I'll get to it this weekend :grin2:

pe2er

Enlightened
Hope you solve it. My own MTE SSC P7-C suffered from a loose retaining ring in the endcap by the switch. On another occasion, the pill has loosened from the housing. Both caused by excessive rattling of the light on the handlebar and both very easy to solve ;-)

I Also put a piece of plastic sheet inside the battery tube, to make the battery fit tighter. This reduces audible rattling of the battery inside the tube.

Have fun!