Chrome look bulb questions

RHS-113

Newly Enlightened
Been a lurker for some time, finally decided to post.

The Philips Silvervision PY21W is a recommended "chrome look" bulb by the moderators of this forum (or at least by Virgil), but would that recommendation extend to other SilverVision bulbs, such as the PY24W, PSY24W, and WY21W?

Osram has the Diadem Chrome WY5W and PY21W, and even Sylvania has new Silverstar bulbs, available in 3157A, 7440A, and 7444A. Are any of those any good from a performance/safety standpoint? And are they road legal? I know the Osram and Philips bulbs are ECE approved, but the Sylvania bulbs just say "legal for on road use."

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There's nothing wrong with any of those Philips Silvervisions. The previous Osram Diadem bulbs (not "Diadem Chrome", just "Diadem") were credible, recommendable products. Not so much so with the "chrome" ones, which are a little lackluster in terms of output/life. Still better than the off-brand garbage, though.

(Welcome to active posting!)

RHS-113

Newly Enlightened
I tried to reply some time ago, but no dice.

Anyway, thanks for the good information. I appreciate the time and effort put into this forum.

If you don't mind an additional question, how are these Bosch Magic PY21W bulbs? They kinda look like the old bluish Osram Diadem/Sylvania Silverstar.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I have no data on the Bosch bulbs. Bosch doesn't manufacture light bulbs themselves, and unfortunately the name doesn't imply any kind of a guarantee of quality or performance. These do not look to me like the dichroic Diadems. They are made in China; take that for what you will in terms of promise/claim versus delivery/reality.