• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Circuit epoxied in LE....Why?

greenLED

Flashaholic
In lights with twist on/off mechanisms, epoxying the circuit provides crush resistance and protects the circuit from water, etc. This is the case for Wayne's sammies, Infinity Ultra, ArcAAA, etc.

I guess you're asking about the Aleph LE? I would say also to provide some kind of protection to the circuit, but I haven't seen one of these in person, so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) it helps with heat sinking

2) it keeps the circuit board in place

The newer circuits can now actually be soldered to the light engine, which creates a very strong bond, making #2 not quite as vital. Regardless, you really need something to help transfer the heat away from these drivers, especially the harder-driven badboys.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think if I were selling something which I warranteed, epoxying it would ensure that people wouldn't fiddle with it, break it, and try to return it to me - or at least I could see that it had been fiddled with.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Beamhead said:
Thanks,
I had a flashback to a certain Auto manufacturers distributor mounted epoxy sealed TFI module failures, do to heat.
Maybe they used the wrong type of epoxy?

[/ QUOTE ]

The epoxies used with light engines also have alumina or silver powder added to improve heat conduction.

Darell

Flashaholic
Ya didn't already break yours did you, Craig!?

It used to be that the epoxy was the only thing holding the board (also the anode contact) down against the battery spring. Now we have some ground rings to solder to on the current generation of drivers... but as tylerdurden mentioned, the heat-sinking is a benefit of potting the drivers as well. It also makes the assembly water-proof, and the epoxy is what holds the emitter sink on the top of the LE.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell:(or should I call ya "Angus Lightfoot - Bovine Man")/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I did not break any of mine...just curious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif