Cleaners and Lubricants - Local Availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get some lubricants and cleaners for my flashlights, only problem is, I'm not sure where to go to get stuff for that, your local wal-mart doesn't have a flashlight cleaning isle so... can anyone recommend some stores that may have some stuff that'll work?

Thanks,
Steven

Marduke

Flashaholic
90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, q-tip type cotton swabs, and petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly doesn't react well with rubber o-rings, but most lights these says have silicon o-rings. Not the best lube solution, but the general idea is to get something onto the threads to protect them. Petroleum jelly can swell o-rings, which is a negative in many people's opinion, but it's a plus in my book.

A little emery paper for those really nasty contacts wouldn't hurt to have either.

Last edited:

JCup

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get some lubricants and cleaners for my flashlights, only problem is, I'm not sure where to go to get stuff for that, your local wal-mart doesn't have a flashlight cleaning isle so... can anyone recommend some stores that may have some stuff that'll work?

Fry's carries the DeOxit in Dallas.

Zenster

Enlightened
Fry's carries the DeOxit in Dallas.

... and I've seen DeOxit brand stuff at most Radio Shacks as well.

And +1 on Petroleum Jelly for lubing threads. I've been using it on my Fenix lights as well as others and have not found it to swell any of the O-rings.
If an O-ring is incompatible with a particular type of grease, it will usually start swelling and getting really soft pretty quickly. If you've been using a particular grease for, say, a week or so, and the O-rings are still good, then they won't fail from that grease in the future either.

DM51

Flashaholic
Telling people it is OK to use petroleum jelly is BAD ADVICE.

There have been countless threads on this same subject. Instead of continuing to flog this long-dead horse, please read posts #18 and #43 in this thread.

There is no need for further discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.