CMG Ultra-G, explosion

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
Very plausable, Atomic 6.

These are the 'magic' words "seal" and "bond" that are often used. To an old engineer, who is unfamiliar with current, or should I say modern, bonding and sealing techniques, they often sound like someone waving a magic wand over an assembly while threaded parts and mechanical attachments sound 'real.' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that? Where are the chicken rivets-right?

Wait-just had a another idea based upon your sintered plug concept. Basketballs!! Really! Those valves are pretty darned rugged. Why not drill and plug using a rubber needle valve. Maybe it could be rated to "blow" at a certain pressure and then reseal?? It could be very small and smalled than those found in basketballs. Would that provide the simpler soloution?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomas said: "It may seem odd, but I can more imagine something like a sintered metal plug being press-fit into a hole from the outside as an emergency vent than I can the bonding and ruggedness required of the membrane considering the extreme pressures commonly found in, say, an Arc AAA or CMG AA light just by screwing the head in and "

I'm picturing a tiny metal projectile shot out of the flashlight body at an inappropriate time and in an inappropriate direction.

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
Atomic6- I like the idea of a pliable stopper like you mention. Checkvalves and small diameter vents might be damaged or clogged by expanding paste from a battery. Of course a dive light would probably not use this.