Coast LED Lenser flashlights

horizonseeker

Enlightened
bought a digitac on closeout from costco last week for $15. not a bad little light with a square hotspot at this price. probably will be my travelling light in addition to the L2T.

david.

simple

Newly Enlightened
I just took a look at the Coast website. Those runtime figures are beyong ridiculous. Or sh^meless should I say!

3xAAA? That's the technology of five years ago.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of their lights lack any sort of digital regulation, despite their "electronically controlled" advertising. Their anodizing is sub par, and their choice of aluminum alloy is also sub par. Many of their lights aren't even water proof.

No offense, but in general, LED Lenser in it's stock form is generally a "newbie" light. It looks great compared to grocery store plastic incans and MiniMags, but pales in comparison to even the cheapest lights available at places like DX.
It sure sounds like they've gotten their act together from reading MattK's post here. I'm willing to take a good look at their new models. Some of them sound very nice.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am certainly not a "lover" of Lenser, but I have come to really appreciate the gold plated contacts all around on the one I do have. Never a flicker, never a contact problem, in contrast to most of the cheapo lights you can find on DX and Kai.

mighty82

Enlightened
I bought the led lenser "hokus focus" about 18 months ago. I don't know what led is in it, but led lensers optics are really great. It easily throws further than my L2D Q5. With a new led and a 18650 instead of the 3xaaa, it would almost be a pocket thrower.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I'm hoping that the new 1AA focusing lights are regulated, and it seems they may very well be with the 4+ hour runtime statement. The old ones had no regulation at all, the discharge curve looked like an incandescent running alkaline, and stated 12 hours runtime. Check out flashlightreviews.com LedLenser David 15 (in the 1 watt section) for the review with runtime plot. The build quality and reliability on my 3xAAA focusing LedLenser is pretty decent. An old David 15 I had started having a little flickering after 3 weeks so I replaced it with a RAM Instrument tailcap meant for an AA Mini Maglite, the 3xAAA is still flawless after a couple of months.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the led lenser "hokus focus" about 18 months ago. I don't know what led is in it, but led lensers optics are really great. It easily throws further than my L2D Q5.

I remember reading a couple months ago about somebody who met the big cheese of Lenser, Prez or whatever. Anyway, the guy was heavy into the design of the lights, and the OP reported that this guy was near-obsessed with the whole area of optics, and was very proud of Lenser optics.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I remember reading a couple months ago about somebody who met the big cheese of Lenser, Prez or whatever. Anyway, the guy was heavy into the design of the lights, and the OP reported that this guy was near-obsessed with the whole area of optics, and was very proud of Lenser optics.

Too bad they seem to be ignoring many other important areas, like dumping the crappy 3xAAA battery carriers, getting rid of holding the light together with way more springs than necessary, and add some decent regulation to most of their lights.

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I just tried vice grips with rubber as a protector and used brute force.

I couldn't get the head off, eventually it chewed through the rubber and damaged the body slightly - but still no luck.

I don't want to destroy the light, just wish there was a simple how to on getting the head off .......

Cheers
Mark

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my Led Lenser Hokus Focus 7438 for over a year now and have had
no problems with it, is still keeps up to some of my Cree Q5 lights as far as brightness