Collins Flashlight

Flashlike

Enlightened
I'm attempting to revive this old thread. I've got one of these old Collins generator flashlights (looks like the one pictured here: http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Collins-Flashlight-Black-Wind-Up-High-Quality-Generator-Light-1924)

However, mine is in very poor condition. Among other things, the main switch and screws that go near the center of the body are missing and the lens is broken. It still winds up and the generator turns while it unwinds, though -- so I'm hoping to get it working again.

My question is how do you disassemble it? Even though all of the screws have been removed from mine I can't seem to pull the bottom section out. Do the rivets on the bottom end need to be drilled out? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old One

Newly Enlightened
Hi Flashlike, still here? I might can help.
... the main switch and screws that go near the center of the body are missing and the lens is broken. It still winds up and the generator turns while it unwinds, though -- so I'm hoping to get it working again.
Any chance you can hunt around for the "main switch" part back where you found the lite? It's not an electrical on/off switch that you can substitute with whatever's handy.. It's a mechanical lever-thingie (tech-term) that reaches inside the lite and tickles a brake mechanism that stops the spring-motor-generator from turning (and thus determines the light bulb on/off). If you can't find it, you will need to fabricate a new one. (Any amateur clockmaker clubs in your area? They'd be your best bet for getting parts made for your lite.) There are two "main switch" mechanisms used in these lites that I know of, and maybe a third. If you can take some close-up pics of the switch area, I may be able to send you pics of what's missing.

My question is how do you disassemble it? Even though all of the screws have been removed from mine I can't seem to pull the bottom section out. Do the rivets on the bottom end need to be drilled out? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ooo, leave the rivets! All they do is hold a bearing cup (to the bottom section you're trying to pull off) for the main shaft to turn in, no hindrance & no help. But you're on the right track to remove the bottom section, only you can't just pull it off, it unscrews.. Or, more precisely, the doo-dad (another tech-term) inside that holds the bottom section on, unscrews. Simply twist the bottom section counter-clockwise (opposite of winding up the spring-motor) to loosen the doo-dad and bottom section will slide right off.

To see what you're dealing with (and unfortunately, nothing you really need to know), check out these two patents:
http://www.google.com/patents/US1507768
http://www.google.com/patents/US1624686
Neither will match exactly, your lite has elements of both.
G'luck

Grandy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Collins Flashlight - Anyone have bulb info?

I just picked up one at a junk shop in New York, thanks to everyone who has posted information about these lights into this thread. It appears to be the only resource on the web with any meaningful information.

I am looking for a bulb and was curious if anyone has had luck finding any compatible ones. I'm also curious for a photo of the original bulb and the small clamp that holds the bulb to the reflector. Even if someone has a picture of something similar that would be an interesting place to start. When I look up midget groove bulbs they appear to have a smaller OD than the 3/8" ID of the reflector. For example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3v1Hw-v1tY this video shows midget groove OD as 5.7mm wheras 3/8" = 9.525mm.

Another question I have is about the lens. The patent shows it to be a plano-convex lens, mine is flat plastic. Does anyone have info?

On another note, my light appears to be green painted over black. I reckon it's factory and the black was the primer, with a nice forest green painted over. Interesting find and I'm glad to have it!

Grandy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Collins Flashlight - campbell flashlight no battery dynamo manual 1924

Wanted to add some additional information and images I was able to uncover -

Here are some images of the bulb and holder and original manual:

CollinsNoBatteryFlashLight012_zps27109f27.jpg

CollinsNoBatteryFlashLight011_zpsfb0a2e6d.jpg

CollinsNoBatteryFlashLight006_zpsbe6af1da.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: Collins Flashlight - campbell flashlight no battery dynamo manual 1924

This one has me scratching my head. A globe shaped PR bulb. And prior to 1937's beginning of the use of a PR bulb by Eveready (who was recorded as the first to use that style base)

IMG-20190608-094207.jpg

From the Stuart Schneider book.

IMG-20190608-094142.jpg

A schematic of sorts.

An example of early tech simple genious.

A #503 bulb has potential to work but one would have to file off the spikes that were used to cinch it down into a bayonet style bulb keeper.

IMG-20190608-123232.jpg

Last edited:

Grandy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Collins Flashlight - thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Bykfixer,
Thanks for your effort in hunting that down. I am interested in giving that a try. Also thanks for posting the article and schematic. I did find the patent which was interesting to look at and contains some schematics. One thing this bulb would be missing after the barbs are filed off is any way of holding it into the reflector from the back. I wonder if there is a way to impress a groove into the base of the bulb to accept a little clamp and allow for the movement required for the focusing of the light.

Another thought I had was to file small notches into the reflector to accept the bayonet lugs on the bottom of the bulb. Will post with updates.

Here is another reference I found of this light -
s-l1600.jpg

Latest posts