Combo IR and Visible White on same die?

shawn hughes

Newly Enlightened
Hi!
I like to homebrew and modify stuff.

I recently saw a headlamp I would like to modify for night vision use.

Where currently (dunno for sure, waiting on the mail to bring it) there appears to be a small incan capsule in a plastic reflector, I'd like to shoehorn in a combo medium output IR and warm white LED.

Does this exist?

Could y'all help me keyword searching this?

*( I realize there is a TON of data missing, like actual size, nm of IR, power supply, etc. I will know more when it arrives. Think it is 4AA, and assume the bowl is probably American nickle sized-ish).

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

Edited: Turns out, it is an XREWHT WF-P4 081010 according to the thread I found below.

Last edited:

shawn hughes

Newly Enlightened
I shoulda known you guys would have already torn one apart.

Courtesy of BobSki:

remHeadlamp1.jpg

I found the link googling the item, and woot pointed me to http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?217361-Remington-RMHL4AA-B-Update!!!&p=2922839#post2922839

Last edited:

shawn hughes

Newly Enlightened
Found this in the woot discussion:

Cree XR-E P4 is outdated LED tech . The last of the XR-E series ran until the R2 bin which has already been retired for the newest XP-G LEDS. Depending on the construcyion of this headlamp, you should be able to upgrade to XP-G R5 and at 750mah you should be able to squeeze at least 200 lumens out of this.

kron

Newly Enlightened
Found this in the woot discussion:

Cree XR-E P4 is outdated LED tech . The last of the XR-E series ran until the R2 bin which has already been retired for the newest XP-G LEDS. Depending on the construcyion of this headlamp, you should be able to upgrade to XP-G R5 and at 750mah you should be able to squeeze at least 200 lumens out of this.

XP-G R5 is also outdated now. XP-G2 S4 or XP-G3 is the latest

Oogabooga

Newly Enlightened
Good luck - you might want to look at getting a 3-up star custom re-flowed (3 leds on one MCPCB), as i've never seen this combo on the same die
Avoid the old style indicator LEDs like on that photo with the XRE, as their output is poop.
I've seen some osram IR leds with decent stats, as well as semileds, there are a few options out there.

Last edited:

Latest posts